PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a new collector

Skizzick
04-12-2011, 03:33 PM
Hey guys,

Allow me to introduce myself. I am new to the forum. My name is Zack, and I have been collecting autographs for about six years. I have recently got into collecting game used stuff. I live in the Philly/South Jersey area and I am hoping to hit a bunch of minor league games this season. If anybody on here can give me some advice for obtaining game used bats/cleats/gloves/jerseys from the minor leagues to add to my collection I would greatly appreciate it.

I look forward to discussing all things game used and sports, and hopefully trading with you in the future. Thanks!

camarokids
04-12-2011, 05:30 PM
Welcome Zach, that is my sons name.

One thing that worked best for me back in the day. While collecting autographs, I would ask the player if they crack a bat and if I am around will they give it to me.

Also, show them a picture of your collection so they know you are not selling memorabilia...\

Ask if they have an old glove you can have.

shoremen44
04-12-2011, 05:36 PM
Zack,
Welcome... I live in South Jersey as well...

My best piece of advice is ask, ask, ask... there are guys on here that have collected anything and everything... there is a ton of junk out there and unfortunately some unscrupulous people

the guys on this forum are a great source for a new collector...

you will find that many of the people on this forum are not only very knowledgable, but great guys, and you will find many new friends

mad87man
04-12-2011, 07:03 PM
Hey Zack,
Welcome, i am also a newer member so don't know to much about the hobby. I also live in NJ but North.

The one piece of advice i can give you is to collect the players/teams you like. Other wise it can get very expensive and very fast. It also takes away money from buying something you really want from your team/player. Always have fun.

bdeol4
04-12-2011, 09:26 PM
Hey Zack,

All I can say is this is the best to place to gain knowledge of the hobby. The people on this site are honest, friendly and very helpful :)

UT_Vols_Collector
04-12-2011, 09:36 PM
Hello Zack,
I just joined today like you. I'm not from NJ like a couple of others that have posted, but my name is Zach so we have that in common lol. I would have to second what mad87man said about only collecting the team and players you want because I tried to collect everything I liked and ended up not having the money when items I really wanted became available because I let the money burn a hole in my pocket. Just my two cents and welcome to the forum!

frikativ54
04-12-2011, 10:12 PM
My biggest piece of advice is to research before you buy. Figure out what fair market value is for an item you're looking to acquire, and go from there. There are also a lot of people who are out to make a quick buck, so do your homework before purchasing anything.

Hope this helps!

-Frik

jake33
04-13-2011, 08:27 AM
Set parameters before you decide what to collect. I think way too often collectors know what they want buy. Then after waiting too long, they get bored and buy other game used things that are way away from the parameters. Of coarse, after you spend your available funds, what you really want will somehow get available.

To me my parameters are ONLY game used Buccaneers and Rays items, nothing else.

Skizzick
04-13-2011, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. I collect all Philly teams, as well as game used items from Cuban born players (I spent five months studying down there).

coxfan
04-13-2011, 04:51 PM
I've attended two minor-league clubs ( one A and one AAA) on a regular basis at times. The A Club sold cracked bats for about $5, and the AAA club sells g-u balls for $6, and occasional cracked bats for $25. These are through their in-stadium stores.

One thing to watch out for: some major-league teams send their used BP balls ( including some some that were g-u) and/or practice balls to their AAA clubs when they're through with them. So if you see a MLB ball sold by a AAA team, it was probably earlier used by the MLB team. Some of these get mixed in with the AAA g-u balls being sold. MLB teams also occasionally send used spring training items to their minor-league clubs at all levels.