PDA

View Full Version : Ochocinco(Chad Johnson) GW gloves photomatched?...

bdeol4
04-12-2011, 12:48 AM
hey guys,

So I came across a pair of game worn Ochocinco gloves on jo sports co today, now as I was attempting to do a photo match on getty images, I think I just did my first photomatch!

The reason I think I got the photo match correct is because it seems like he wore black/grey gloves on all season long in 2009 except for October(pink breast cancer month) and this orange pair for 1 game against the Ravens in November.

Check it out and let me know what you guys think....thanks!:)

http://www.josportsco.com/view_product.asp?ProductID=4821

Dach0sen0ne
04-12-2011, 06:45 AM
The JO gloves have black in the fingers on the dorsal side, I don't see that in your pics.

TriplexXxSports
04-12-2011, 07:00 AM
Compare the palm of the gloves in you last Getty pic and the pic provided by DACH...

bdeol4
04-12-2011, 10:14 AM
hey guys, looks like your right....and chad didnt wear any other pair of orange gloves that season as I double checked on getty images.

Why would they be advertised as "game worn" then?

dplettn
04-12-2011, 10:50 AM
hey guys, looks like your right....and chad didnt wear any other pair of orange gloves that season as I double checked on getty images.

Why would they be advertised as "game worn" then?

Why do used car dealers portray their cars as being wonderful and sticker them for far more than what they pay for them on at the dealer auctions?

Some businesses are built on integrity and value add. Some business attempt to add value with what they might refer to as "marketing".

I know I've seen been falsely marketed Ochocinco stuff by JO Sports, but that in and of itself doesn't mean anything about the gloves. I know that the singular "photomatch" posted by the moderator (on behalf of JO) after the thread was closed focused on a design feature shared by the white adhesive "Bengals" thing below "85" as is present on my own Chad Helmet.

Anyway, that is water under the bridge, the thread was determined appropriate for closing by the moderator so such discussion is dead. This thread is about photomatching/stylematching and to help give an example as to how they can be mis-stated for the same player, and/or reseller I've attached only an example of a design feature relevant to said photomatches of the same player for product being marketed through the same reseller.

I think that the only takeaway for each of these things is that all collectors are wise to do your own research before buying into applying assumptions about any reseller's products being as advertised. And, each reseller defines a reputation composed of their own integrity and business practices over time.

For whomever buys the Chad gloves, I hope for the buyer's sake they prove to be legit.

TriplexXxSports
04-12-2011, 11:40 AM
Not to dis-credit any/either party involved here, but they very well could be from preseason/training camp (IDK, I haven't looked)....

"Game Worn" can easily be a loose term, or lack of better terms, used to describe an item that was worn by the player at some point during their time spent with the team.

Just food for thought folks...

Dach0sen0ne
04-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Pre-season? Style match? 8-20-2009

TriplexXxSports
04-12-2011, 04:04 PM
All I can say is this (and I know it has been discussed amongst us seasoned collectors for some time around here) -

REGARDLESS of the company/person selling an item, REGARDLESS of that company's/person's reputation, REGARDLESS of the authentication that accompanies the item (COA, LOA, papers), etc. - ALWAYS do your homework! Do your own research. Find your own matches (photo/style). Be your own authenticator!

To err is human. Whether it be just a simple mistake in identity, or just a lack of care/concern to describe the item accurately - we ALL make mistakes. Doing your own research can, and will, ensure that you and you alone are 110% comfortable with the item you are about to purchase. Take as much time as you need. Ask questions. Ask others for help. There are many great resources out there to help.

Take it for what its worth people. Question everything, trust no one, and do your own research. After all, its your money....

bdeol4
04-12-2011, 04:29 PM
Well said Matthew! I am a newbie and cant tell you guys enough how much I have learnt in the last couple of months, and how much I appreciate all of yours help!

thank you!