PDA

View Full Version : 2001 World Series - Did Barry Bonds Ever Throw Out The First Pitch for Any Game?

trsent
04-10-2011, 09:36 AM
So, at dinner the other night my friends started debating if Barry Bonds threw out a first pitch for any of the games at the 2001 World Series. We all agreed that George Bush threw out the first pitch for game one, but my friend was sure Barry Bonds threw out the first pitch for one of the other games. We all doubted him, but he seemed pretty sure about it.

Can anyone help settle our debate?

Thanks in advance!

russyurk
04-10-2011, 09:43 AM
According to Baseball Almanac he threw out the first pitch in game #1.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/ws/yr2001ws.shtml

trsent
04-10-2011, 10:03 AM
According to Baseball Almanac he threw out the first pitch in game #1.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/ws/yr2001ws.shtml

Thanks so much! So, it was Bush in Game 3 at Yankee Stadium.

godwulf
04-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Huh...I would have said no, 'cause I sure don't remember Bonds doing that. I must have suppressed the memory. :rolleyes:

legaleagle92481
04-10-2011, 01:08 PM
Hmm I dont remember that either but it does make sense since he set homer record that year and since it was the year of 9/11 it makes sense that the President did not throw it out until the Series moved to NY.

godwulf
04-10-2011, 11:14 PM
That's okay. We had Ray Charles singing "America the Beautiful" before Game 2. :D

Ever see some celeb throwing out the first pitch, and you can't figure out why? I was at a Diamondbacks game a couple of years ago, and Jim Caviezel, the actor (Passion of the Christ, Frequency, The Thin Red Line, G.I. Jane, etc) walks out and throws out the first pitch, and nobody ever explained what he was doing there. I'm not complaining - I mean I like the guy and everything...it was just kind of weird.

trsent
04-10-2011, 11:57 PM
That's okay. We had Ray Charles singing "America the Beautiful" before Game 2. :D

Ever see some celeb throwing out the first pitch, and you can't figure out why? I was at a Diamondbacks game a couple of years ago, and Jim Caviezel, the actor (Passion of the Christ, Frequency, The Thin Red Line, G.I. Jane, etc) walks out and throws out the first pitch, and nobody ever explained what he was doing there. I'm not complaining - I mean I like the guy and everything...it was just kind of weird.

They play at least 82 home games a year, like the Cubs finding guest singers for the 7th Inning Stretch signing of Take Me Out To The Ball Game, it is hard to find 82 people to throw out the first pitch!

sox83cubs84
04-11-2011, 03:09 PM
They play at least 82 home games a year, like the Cubs finding guest singers for the 7th Inning Stretch signing of Take Me Out To The Ball Game, it is hard to find 82 people to throw out the first pitch!

And, in the case of the Cubs (and maybe the D-backs, too), celebrities are often brought in not because of their connection with the team, but because they're on a promotional tour and the team can get in on the action with an invitation. It's often more about loyalty to someone's marketing campaign than it is loyaly to the team.

Dave Miedema

godwulf
04-11-2011, 09:03 PM
Actually, I did a little research after posting (of course) and discovered that, apparently, that happened to have been "Faith and Family Night" at Chase Field, and someone knew that Caviezel, a serious Catholic, was in town speaking to a church group, and put in a last-minute call for him to throw out the first pitch.