PDA

View Full Version : Red flag: Lenny Dykstra jersey in Collectauctions.com

TNTtoys
04-09-2011, 05:42 PM
All,

I posted this recently but the thread was diverted to a different issue regarding a McGwire helmet. I merged the rest of the original Dykstra thread with the original thread on the McGwire topic but inadvertently lost this one. I am reinstating it as it originally appeared. In case you were wondering, the McGwire thread is on the forum "Game Used Memorabilia Discussion" and is called "Do players change helmets for the start of the playoffs?"

_____

Collectauctions.com recently ran an auction where a "1989 game worn Lenny Dykstra Phillies jersey" was auctioned off for nearly $500.00. The problem is the jersey was not a game used 1989 Phillies jersey.

http://collectauctions.com/LotDetail...es-Away-Jersey (http://collectauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=323&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=100&category=15&seo=Lenny-Dykstra-Signed-Game-Used-1989-Phillies-Away-Jersey)

In 1989, the Phillies wore GRAY on the road, not powder blue. This jersey was powder blue. Furthermore, there is a strip tag in the neckline that states the name of another player. The auction house then makes a quantum leap by suggesting that the player in the neckline started the season in that jersey, and then when Dykstra was acquired mid-season, the jersey was re-customized into a Dykstra, and then he wore it for the rest of the season... when in fact none of them wore it, as that color jersey was not worn, period.

Something is really amiss here. The jersey purportedly comes with an LOA from renown Phillies expert Howard Wolf. Surely Howard would know this rather crucial tidbit of info. Only thing I can think of here is that the "LOA switcheroo game" was played and that there is a real 1989 Dykstra jersey out there that Howard did write an LOA for which was used to misrepresent this obviously bad jersey.

The signature is good -- perhaps the LOA is for the signature only???

Anyway, if you are the buyer of this jersey or know the buyer of this jersey, I suggest you contact the auction house before wasting your hard earned cash. I meant to do so myself prior to auction end but sadly did not find the time to do so.

Nick

_____

Forum member Dave Miedema chimed in in with the following:

Even IF the blues were worn in 1989, Menke was with the Phillies all season (and the next). It seems doubtful that the team would grab the jersey of someone currently employed by the team and reissue it, name changed, to a newcomer in midseason.

Howard, if you're reading this, email me and chime in with whatever you can offer.