PDA

View Full Version : Paragon Auctions,friend Or Foe ?

dirtyla2000
04-09-2011, 02:04 PM
Paid on March 25, paid for overnite shipping and still nothing! He does not return emails and says he holds money orders for 10 days.Was promised this week and still nothing. I think its a one man show and am worried Im getting screwed. Did anyone else get this treatment. thankyou!

otismalibu
04-09-2011, 02:27 PM
Didn't the auction end on 2/27/11? Are you saying you paid a month after the auction ended? I thought payment was due 15 days after invoices were sent.

He waited on my cashier's check to clear, but shipped my item about a week later.

dirtyla2000
04-09-2011, 02:40 PM
Didn't the auction end on 2/27/11? Are you saying you paid a month after the auction ended? I thought payment was due 15 days after invoices were sent.

He waited on my cashier's check to clear, but shipped my item about a week later.

yes, 10 days late! do you think its payback? international money orders are like cash. I dont know what a cashiers check is. I am glad you got your stuff though! When I Fedexed the payment there was no one to accept it. Like I said, bad communication makes me uneasy!

otismalibu
04-09-2011, 02:48 PM
I think auction houses even wait for cash to clear.

Where are you sending payment from? I mean, you're either in a hurry or you're not. The faster you send payment, the faster you get your item.

If your item has to clear customs, you could be waiting a little longer. Once had a package take exactly 30 days from USA to Canada.

dirtyla2000
04-09-2011, 03:01 PM
I think auction houses even wait for cash to clear.

Where are you sending payment from? I mean, you're either in a hurry or you're not. The faster you send payment, the faster you get your item.

If your item has to clear customs, you could be waiting a little longer. Once had a package take exactly 30 days from USA to Canada.

no man, I gave him my fed ex acc. to overnie it. Again, he told me it would go out on wed. I checked my fedex acc. and nothing.Countless unanswered emails and no answers on their phone! I have dealt with everyone and never went through something like this! Thats why i am worried.However since you got yours i am hopefull I will get mine! I am in Montreal by the way! Thanks again!

otismalibu
04-09-2011, 03:52 PM
I'm sure you'll get the item eventually.

Montreal, eh? Have only been there once, in the late 80s. A sandwich at Schwartz's, late night poutine and beers & billiards at Bar Saint Laurent (I think that's what it was called).

dirtyla2000
04-09-2011, 04:01 PM
I'm sure you'll get the item eventually.

Montreal, eh? Have only been there once, in the late 80s. A sandwich at Schwartz's, late night poutine and beers & billiards at Bar Saint Laurent (I think that's what it was called).
Tell me Schwartz's smoked meat wasn't like the best sandwich you have ever had! Late night poutine at Bar St. Laurent to boot. I hope you completed the Montreal experience with a trip to CHEZ PAREE!!!!!!!! :)

Mulligans
04-09-2011, 04:50 PM
Paid on March 25, paid for overnite shipping and still nothing! He does not return emails and says he holds money orders for 10 days.Was promised this week and still nothing. I think its a one man show and am worried Im getting screwed. Did anyone else get this treatment. thankyou!

Every single Auction House hangs out on here and anytime I mention something remotely negative about them, I get Nastygrams from them, so I will refrain.....If it makes you feel any better, I am experiencing similar events that you are experiencing from their last Auction. I am not really concerned yet, but I also have not received my item.:mad:

dirtyla2000
04-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Every single Auction House hangs out on here and anytime I mention something remotely negative about them, I get Nastygrams from them, so I will refrain.....If it makes you feel any better, I am experiencing similar events that you are experiencing from their last Auction. I am not really concerned yet, but I also have not received my item.:mad:

LOVELY ! You would think first time as an Auction HOUSE they would try to impress. I have bought hundreds of items from auction and been deceived a few times but i took the blame and did not speak out! This case has gotten to me though!

allstarsplus
04-09-2011, 11:41 PM
Got my items within two days of my check clearing. Very happy!!!!!!!!

dirtyla2000
04-10-2011, 12:55 AM
Got my items within two days of my check clearing. Very happy!!!!!!!!

I guess thats good news! I still dont understand the check clearing part.Its not a personal check. I have never been through non return emails and non answered calls and a lie! When( when means how long IT TAKES to get my stuff) I get this over with, I will reconsider MY OPINION! I have built my collection of over 300 game used pieces from auction houses, so i have no reason to create a story!

sammy
04-10-2011, 04:24 AM
Good luck to you. Seems someone is not interested in your business anymore.

http://www.amazon.com/b?%5Fencoding=UTF8&site-redirect=&node=256994011&tag=colmor-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325

allstarsplus
04-10-2011, 08:41 AM
I guess thats good news! I still dont understand the check clearing part.Its not a personal check. I have never been through non return emails and non answered calls and a lie! When( when means how long IT TAKES to get my stuff) I get this over with, I will reconsider MY OPINION! I have built my collection of over 300 game used pieces from auction houses, so i have no reason to create a story!

I took a JPMorgan "Chase" cashier's check only to find out it was a fake. With color printers and good photoshopping, my bank didn't even know until it was returned. I was out several thousand dollars because I shipped it overnight before it cleared.

BostonSportsFan
04-10-2011, 09:35 AM
I took a JPMorgan "Chase" cashier's check only to find out it was a fake. With color printers and good photoshopping, my bank didn't even know until it was returned. I was out several thousand dollars because I shipped it overnight before it cleared.

I had a person that I had never dealt with before about four years ago also send me what I believe was a Bank of America cashier's check and it too was spot on from everything I could see. Thankfully in this case I am a very cautious person and will never ship anything of value before the check clears. In this case it was a Ted Williams game used bat an item of significant value. The buyer was a little agitated that I refused to ship until the check cleared based on our conversations up front. The check turned out to be bogus and the guy disappeared. Never did hear back from the authorities on whether they caught the man.

Word to the wise, always be cautious with any form of payment unless you really know the seller. Andrew is correct, with the technology today it is rather easy for someone of knowledge and means to counterfeit almost anything.

dirtyla2000
04-10-2011, 09:51 AM
Good luck to you. Seems someone is not interested in your business anymore.

http://www.amazon.com/b?%5Fencoding=UTF8&site-redirect=&node=256994011&tag=colmor-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325

Whoever does not want my business will be out one day when I decide to sell my collection! With premiums both ways that would be around 100.000. That goes for a lot of collectors out there. We keep these business's in business.I understand the 10 day shtick better now.The rest of my comments are still valid pertaining to communication however!

Lokee
04-10-2011, 06:14 PM
I have an never will buy from an auction house who does not take credit cards. It just does not make sense in my opinion as a buyer to put yourself in a situtation where you are not protected against scammers. In this day and age especially as the economy gets worse the con artists come out of the woodwork.

No saying anything about Paragon directly.

allstarsplus
04-10-2011, 08:02 PM
I have an never will buy from an auction house who does not take credit cards. It just does not make sense in my opinion as a buyer to put yourself in a situtation where you are not protected against scammers. In this day and age especially as the economy gets worse the con artists come out of the woodwork.

Paragon Auctions has no buyers or sellers premium so I guess the only way they would take credit cards would be to charge a 3% premium.

trsent
04-11-2011, 09:33 AM
yes, 10 days late! do you think its payback? international money orders are like cash. I dont know what a cashiers check is. I am glad you got your stuff though! When I Fedexed the payment there was no one to accept it. Like I said, bad communication makes me uneasy!

International Money Orders and not like cash at all.

I have heard horror stories about money orders from Canada being returned as many as thirty days after they have been deposited.

trsent
04-11-2011, 09:36 AM
Paragon Auctions has no buyers or sellers premium so I guess the only way they would take credit cards would be to charge a 3% premium.

3% may be cheap these days. All these miles and rewards cards have extra charges that get passed on to the merchant. I would guess 5% to be safe for any mail order merchant.

I personally am against not taking credit cards for any mail order company or auction house, but some of them are still a bit old fashioned.

I bought two lots from the last Paragon Auctions, paid by personal check and received my items in a very timely fashion. I also mailed my check a day or two after the auction ended.

nickacs
04-11-2011, 09:38 AM
I would see if you get your item(s) by the end of this week. I also am one that sent a personal check for my item and had to wait the 10 business days as well, so that would put it back on 4/5/11 of last week.

I emailed Keith and he said my item would ship out this week. It took a couple days for Keith to email me this past week, but he did this past Saturday.

I don't know how many people Keith has employed at his business, but as someone said, if it's a one/several man show, it's quite possible they got backed up with shipping and/or had a lot of winners pay by checks.

Dunno, but I would say give it till the end of this week and then call Keith directly.

rose14
04-11-2011, 11:44 AM
Auction houses don't take credit cards for two reasons. Take away the 3-5% that the auction house would absorb but it's also a two way street in regards to scamming. Merchants that take credit cards lose a substantial amount of money because of scammers that use stolen credit cards and those charges are charged back to the merchant. Most people that have had their credit card number stolen aren't even aware of it unitl 30-45 days later when they see it on their statement. By then the item has been shipped and it's too late for the auction house.

All a bidder would have to do if he was unhappy with an item or wanted to just cheat the auction houser is to dispute it and it's up to the merchant to prove their case.

dirtyla2000
04-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Auction houses don't take credit cards for two reasons. Take away the 3-5% that the auction house would absorb but it's also a two way street in regards to scamming. Merchants that take credit cards lose a substantial amount of money because of scammers that use stolen credit cards and those charges are charged back to the merchant. Most people that have had their credit card number stolen aren't even aware of it unitl 30-45 days later when they see it on their statement. By then the item has been shipped and it's too late for the auction house.

All a bidder would have to do if he was unhappy with an item or wanted to just cheat the auction houser is to dispute it and it's up to the merchant to prove their case.
Ya, but God forbid we purchase an item that we later find to be a fake and then we get the shaft! Heritage is the biggest auction house and they take any payment humanly possible; paypal,cc checks! I too believe they should just add the 3 or 5 % charge.Thats the price of doing business. In any case,waiting now on almost 3 weeks to get my stuff is not acceptable, at least not for me !

trsent
04-11-2011, 03:20 PM
Ya, but God forbid we purchase an item that we later find to be a fake and then we get the shaft! Heritage is the biggest auction house and they take any payment humanly possible; paypal,cc checks! I too believe they should just add the 3 or 5 % charge.Thats the price of doing business. In any case,waiting now on almost 3 weeks to get my stuff is not acceptable, at least not for me !

I'm confused, you sent an international money order and expect to receive your merchandise the next day? Have you called this company to talk to them to sort this out?

I also think your time frame is a bit exaggerated. Three weeks? You paid a month after the auction, and you expect the merchandise to be there two days later because you gave them a FedEx account number?

What do they say when you call them? Maybe Keith has been on vacation or holiday or whatever because payment came in late maybe they didn't get it? Maybe they hold international money orders for 2-4 weeks.

I get the credit card concerns, but they do not charge a buyer's premium, so that is their excuse. You knew these terms when you placed your bids.

Your argument that if you find something to be fake is fine, but a credit card company will only protect you for 30-90 days. I would rather pay with a credit card and get miles and be sure to receive my merchandise. I know this going in when I place my bids with auctions such as Hunt and Paragon.

dirtyla2000
04-11-2011, 04:59 PM
I'm confused, you sent an international money order and expect to receive your merchandise the next day? Have you called this company to talk to them to sort this out?

I also think your time frame is a bit exaggerated. Three weeks? You paid a month after the auction, and you expect the merchandise to be there two days later because you gave them a FedEx account number?

What do they say when you call them? Maybe Keith has been on vacation or holiday or whatever because payment came in late maybe they didn't get it? Maybe they hold international money orders for 2-4 weeks.

I get the credit card concerns, but they do not charge a buyer's premium, so that is their excuse. You knew these terms when you placed your bids.

Your argument that if you find something to be fake is fine, but a credit card company will only protect you for 30-90 days. I would rather pay with a credit card and get miles and be sure to receive my merchandise. I know this going in when I place my bids with auctions such as Hunt and Paragon.

payment was rec. march 24 and today is april 11 still nada.Do the math! Yes after payment is rec. I expect my items within a week because I ask it to be sent overnite. Payment was 9 days late and who holds checks for 2 to 4 weeks. I dont know who you have dealt with but I have dealt with everyone;Hunts,AM,HUGGINS(one of the best I may add) LEGENDARY,LELANDS,HERITAGE,SOUTHEBY(who dont do sports anymore) amd never has anyone held my cheks for 10 days, so please dont talk out of your ass! Everyones input in this thread has been helpfull and polite. THAT IS UNTILL YOU ! TAKE YOUR AIRMILES AND TAKE A LONG TRIP !!!!!!

trsent
04-11-2011, 07:43 PM
payment was rec. march 24 and today is april 11 still nada.Do the math! Yes after payment is rec. I expect my items within a week because I ask it to be sent overnite. Payment was 9 days late and who holds checks for 2 to 4 weeks. I dont know who you have dealt with but I have dealt with everyone;Hunts,AM,HUGGINS(one of the best I may add) LEGENDARY,LELANDS,HERITAGE,SOUTHEBY(who dont do sports anymore) amd never has anyone held my cheks for 10 days, so please dont talk out of your ass! Everyones input in this thread has been helpfull and polite. THAT IS UNTILL YOU ! TAKE YOUR AIRMILES AND TAKE A LONG TRIP !!!!!!

Why so hostile? You sent an international money order, which are known for being used fraudulently which is the only excuse I can imagine.

You didn't answer my question, did you call them about your concerns or did you just come on here and attack them first?

I just can't imagine why they would hold your items hostage on you unless there is more to the story. Keith Vari knows the auction business and this doesn't sound like his actions unless there is more to the story. If I find the time, I'll try to contact him about this tomorrow to hear if he wishes to make a statement about it.

dirtyla2000
04-11-2011, 08:14 PM
Why so hostile? You sent an international money order, which are known for being used fraudulently which is the only excuse I can imagine.

You didn't answer my question, did you call them about your concerns or did you just come on here and attack them first?

I just can't imagine why they would hold your items hostage on you unless there is more to the story. Keith Vari knows the auction business and this doesn't sound like his actions unless there is more to the story. If I find the time, I'll try to contact him about this tomorrow to hear if he wishes to make a statement about it.

YA you know us Canadians,always using phoney money orders? I will say it for the last time and then this subject is over! NEVER AND I MEAN NEVER has an auction co. Ive dealt with held my money order for 10 days or ignored 6 emails.. Im sure it will come not sure if i will deal with them again!

trsent
04-12-2011, 01:26 AM
YA you know us Canadians,always using phoney money orders? I will say it for the last time and then this subject is over! NEVER AND I MEAN NEVER has an auction co. Ive dealt with held my money order for 10 days or ignored 6 emails.. Im sure it will come not sure if i will deal with them again!

So, when you called the auction house, what was their response?

I know if I email someone six times who has my money, I call them concerned maybe my emails are going to their SPAM folder.

No, not all international money orders have issues, but they are risky for anyone to take since there are bad ones out there and they take too long to clear.

I don't doubt you are 100% legitimate and your intentions were genuine. I just don't understand why you came on here without even making a phone call to the auction house.

allstarsplus
04-12-2011, 07:22 AM
Keith from Paragon Auctions gave me the tracking number and it went out on April 7th via Fed Ex International.

It is scheduled for delivery today. The tracking number 4072 8546 8280.

allstarsplus
04-12-2011, 07:56 AM
An additional message from Keith:

Perry, As far as you questioning me holding a check for 10 days I just had an international check bounce on day 13 and I sent his package out on day 11. Luckily for me he made good on the check. I do the auction by myself with just some help with catalog and photography.
Thank you,
Keith

nickacs
04-12-2011, 09:22 AM
I got a personal call from Keith last evening letting me know my auction lot went out yesterday and I'll be receiving it tomorrow. I also got an automated email from UPS too.

Again, if Keith is running it by himself pretty much, there were A LOT of consignments for his first auction and I'm sure he's been working his tail off since it closed. I paid via check and since my winning lot was in the thousands, I asked Keith for a huge favor if I could wait a couple days after the cut-off and post-date my check since I had more funds coming in. He graciously said no problem and while my bank debited the check on 3/22, 10 days would've put it middle of last week.
Sure, I wanted my item ASAP too, but understanding that Paragon IS NOT GFC, REA, Lelands, etc that have a whole staff of many, I think the auction went over great, some nice lots and I'll be getting the jersey I've been looking for a long time tomorrow!! Can't wait :)

As a lot of posts that condemn auction houses, I never understood while people don't call?? Sure, email is more convenient this day and age, but for serious matters, calling is always the best way to resolve a major issue.

I understand your frustration Dirty, but I personally would've only posted this thread AFTER I've called and tried every possible avenue. To each his own, but good luck...

allstarsplus
04-15-2011, 10:32 AM
dirtyla2000 didn't post again but I check and the package was delivered to him 3 days ago.

Shipment Dates

Ship date http://www.fedex.com/Tracking/track/images/helpIcon.gif
Apr 7, 2011

Delivery date http://www.fedex.com/Tracking/track/images/helpIcon.gif
Apr 12, 2011 12:54 PM

Destination

LAVAL, PQ

Signature Proof of Delivery (https://www.fedex.com/Spod?cntry_code=us&trackingNumber=407285468280&shipYear=2011&shipMonth=04&shipDay=07&whereToGo=landing&qualifiedTrackNumber=407285468280&clienttype=dotcom) http://www.fedex.com/Tracking/track/images/helpIcon.gif

Shipment Facts
Help

Service type
INTL Economy

Weight
2.7 lbs/1.2 kg

Delivered to
Receptionist/Front Desk

Reference
PARAGON

Invoice number
PARAGON

Status

Pieces
Date/Time
Status

Date/Time
Activity

Apr 12, 2011 12:54 PM
Delivered

LAVAL, PQ

nickacs
04-15-2011, 10:37 AM
LOL, as I knew what would happen :rolleyes: I got my auction item delivered Wednesday and can't be happier. Sure, I would've liked it sooner, but as they say, good things come to them who wait! haha..

As I mentioned in my previous post, I just don't know why people come in here bashing people BEFORE they call or let a little time go by.

Oh wells, sounds like this thread is DONE!

allstarsplus
04-15-2011, 10:50 AM
LOL, as I knew what would happen :rolleyes: I got my auction item delivered Wednesday and can't be happier. Sure, I would've liked it sooner, but as they say, good things come to them who wait! haha..

As I mentioned in my previous post, I just don't know why people come in here bashing people BEFORE they call or let a little time go by.

Sounds like communication could have been better with quicker returned emails, but as Keith said, he is basically a "one man" show right now. As you can see it was shipped on April 7th and this thread was started on April 9th.

One of the most important factors in any game used transaction is knowing who you are dealing with and Keith Vari is one of the best in the industry.

I am happy with my items too by the way and looking forward to Keith's next auction!

dirtyla2000
04-15-2011, 01:34 PM

Almost done. Package was delivered.! I was not going to comment further but I guess you are dieing for me to do so! Bashing,no one bashed! I emailed 6 times and called one time,no answer. You love the dude,thats cool.Where I come from communication is important. Now since we are on the topic,I purchased the Expos first pitch balls from the auction for 2500.00 . Suppose to come with a letter from Bowie Kuhn's family. Guess what no letter, guess what no response to my emails again. Do you think the loa is important,damn straight it is. Villainize me all you want. I treat my business like my body,clean ! If something is late or delayed,I dont care I just want to know about it. COMMUNICATION! Now I will have to beg for that letter. I just prey he has it !

trsent
04-15-2011, 02:06 PM
Almost done. Package was delivered.! I was not going to comment further but I guess you are dieing for me to do so! Bashing,no one bashed! I emailed 6 times and called one time,no answer. You love the dude,thats cool.Where I come from communication is important. Now since we are on the topic,I purchased the Expos first pitch balls from the auction for 2500.00 . Suppose to come with a letter from Bowie Kuhn's family. Guess what no letter, guess what no response to my emails again. Do you think the loa is important,damn straight it is. Villainize me all you want. I treat my business like my body,clean ! If something is late or delayed,I dont care I just want to know about it. COMMUNICATION! Now I will have to beg for that letter. I just prey he has it !

My new favorite link:

http://www.dial-a-prayer.com/