PDA

View Full Version : Advice on business practice?

perlman9
04-08-2011, 11:35 AM
I would like some advice on what folks on here think about this situation. I am not too up in arms, but feedback from other collectors is always helpful. I am also leaving the company name out for a few reasons, but the main is so folks are not biased in response but also if consent is this is normal business practice then I don't want the company to be taking a hit on reputation by a few who don't agree.

A few months ago, I was working on getting a jersey that I thought was overpriced and pointed out that other jerseys of that player (one a throwback and the other a special-patched) sold at very reputable auction houses for about 1/4 of this companies asking price. After several emails, I was quoted a price that was over the two auction prices but a decent price. After about a month of raising the funds I contacted the rep from the company and got a reply from another rep that the person I was working with is gone. I let them know I was ready to move on the item and was asked to send the email where I was quoted the price. I replied with that email and was told that they could not sell at that price. For reference, the asking price is $1000. The two sold at auction for right at $250-ish and I was quoted $300. Not a high-end item I know. Anyway, I was told by the rep that they could do $500 but that is double what the market is and a lot more than my offered price so I declined.

The question is, should I pursue trying to get it at the $300 or just let it drop? Just curious as to how other collectors would handle the situation. Also, bear in mind the company has several jerseys of this player. Thanks for your time and input. And the jersey I was getting is a normal game jersey, not a jersey like a throwback, etc.

godwulf
04-08-2011, 12:10 PM
The question is, should I pursue trying to get it at the $300 or just let it drop?

I'm not really sure what you had in mind when you wrote "pursue". Did you mean, continue to email them until they relent, or something else?

In my experience, your sole chance (and it's a slim one) of getting this jersey for the price you want to pay is to very politely ask that they retain your contact information in case they change their minds and want to sell it to you for that amount. It might be two years from now before you hear back from them, and chances are you'll never hear from them at all, but I think that's probably your only shot.

I've gotten several bats that way, and even the old Phoenix Giants mascot costume, Booster Rooster.

The "Well, that guy doesn't work here any more" line is usually b.s., but who knows? Maybe he was let go because he was agreeing to offers like the one he got from you.

Not every company has the same incentives to sell at a lower price; maybe the owners are fat right now and prefer to hang onto stuff rather than sell at a price they imagine to be too low. I think we've all known dealers, sellers, store owners, etc, who had an inflated view of their own stuff's value, and remained inflexible, despite what the market ought to have been telling them.

cliffjmp33
04-08-2011, 12:17 PM
I agree with godwulf's sentiments. My only thought is possibly another jersey of the player may hit an auction site in the future and you could get that for a better price, especially if you now had the funds at your disposal.

Hate to see when someone loses out though in these situation.

buckeyegamers
04-08-2011, 12:25 PM
Hey Jason,

Just another thought....I'm not sure if you would consider yourself a good customer of the seller or not? You could always try to "play that card" if you are a good customer and see how far that might get you. Just a thought, as long as you remain polite I don't think it could hurt.

perlman9
04-08-2011, 12:25 PM
Pursue I meant going above the rep to a higher up but I am hoping someone who got it at auction will throw it on ebay or something. Thanks for the quick replies!

gingi79
04-08-2011, 04:36 PM
J-

Out the company on the board. If you emailed the company and someone working there responded, they are bound to the price in my opinion. I mean you have an email from someone who was authorized to sell you an item. Then they backed out. Perhaps I am still suffering under the delusion that companies should have customer service, morals, standards and ethics. I know, stupid right?

It may not help you get the item but I know whenever I read these things, they permanently lose my business and that of anyone who asks my opinion. Sure, I'm not the biggest collector but I have a lot of sports fans who come to me for game used stuff and I have NO issue telling people who not to deal with as often as where to look.

trsent
04-08-2011, 06:41 PM
J-

Out the company on the board. If you emailed the company and someone working there responded, they are bound to the price in my opinion. I mean you have an email from someone who was authorized to sell you an item. Then they backed out. Perhaps I am still suffering under the delusion that companies should have customer service, morals, standards and ethics. I know, stupid right?

It may not help you get the item but I know whenever I read these things, they permanently lose my business and that of anyone who asks my opinion. Sure, I'm not the biggest collector but I have a lot of sports fans who come to me for game used stuff and I have NO issue telling people who not to deal with as often as where to look.

They are bound for a reasonable period of time, but if the customer took time to accept the offer, they have a right to retract the original offer.

Now, if you have an email trail, try emailing the offers to the company to see where their salesman offered you the item for $300.00 and maybe that will shake them up.

Go over a salesman's head if you have to. Who cares?

mlupo
04-08-2011, 10:28 PM
This doesn't really answer your question, but let me just say that this is the reason why I don't try to work out a deal before I have the funds. Should the company honor the price quoted...probably, but on the other hand in a retail market prices change all the time. I realize this wasnt an advertised sale, but still, I would assume the price was quoted thinking that the sale was going to happen within a day or 2, not a month later.

In my opinion it is really a coin flip, I'm not trying to upset either side, but don't quote a price if you won't honor it and don't try to make a deal unless you are ready to buy.

sammy
04-08-2011, 10:39 PM
Let it go and move on to something else. If the company doesn't want your business, their loss. Another jersey will show up and probably around what you actually wanted to pay in the first place.

http://www.amazon.com/b?%5Fencoding=UTF8&site-redirect=&node=256994011&tag=colmor-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325

mad87man
04-08-2011, 11:40 PM
I am not sure but i may know what company you are talking about. Anyway yeah they should meet you halfway. I would just wait for one to pop up somewhere if its a common player.

perlman9
04-09-2011, 09:22 AM
Thanks everyone! If anyone wants to know who the company is I will do that offline through email so just shoot me one and I will let you know who it is. In response to the getting price before the funds, I purchased a lesser jersey for $150 and they offered me a few other jerseys that would fit my collection. I said prices were too high especially in light of those two auctions and they replied with the $300 price, so I wasn't negotiating to buy necessarily, they were negotiating to sell if that makes sense. Anyways, thanks for the replies and I think I will send an email to the sales rep and owner if they ever want to sell for $300 I will buy. Also, in response to the time period between the offer and buying, I agree they could have said the price expired, but they just said they couldn't sell for that price.