PDA

View Full Version : What's your greatest purchase ever?

Gridiron Heroes
04-04-2011, 10:01 AM
I've got a few that stand out. Two of my favorite are;

#1- Picking up former Gopher great and Pittsburgh Steeler Gary Russell's Super Bowl trophy, actual TD ball, and Raiders game used jersey. I flew out to Columbus to meet him, picked up the stuff and BS'ed for awhile, then flew back to FL. I got stopped at airport security for a half hour and nearly missed my flight while every official in the entire airport was called over to check out my trophy. It was priceless when the trophy was in the security scanner and the one guy says to the other as he's looking at it in x-ray "Is that what I think it is?". Gary is friend of mine from way back and I sold the trophy and ball for him while keeping the jersey for myself. His Super Bowl jersey is on the way, which will be my holy grail item. BTW, his grandparents sold his ring out from under him. How do you like that...

#2-Driving out to Madison, WI from MPLS and back in sub zero temperatures to pick up this amazing group of game worn and practice worn Gopher helmets. We had to rent a mini-van (no, that's not my ride) to fit em' all in. They came from the Gophers equipment room and we're sold to Gridiron Ghosts who did the decals on the Gophers Rose Bowl throwback uni's. He had 6 very large 4'x4' boxes full of helmets we had to sort through in a storage shed. I still have frostbite on my left ear from that one. He has one of the nicest Badger collections and game room I've ever seen.

Your stories...

Go Gophers! Shawn
gridironheroes22@yahoo.com

ivo610
04-04-2011, 11:18 AM
you must have bought those helmets from tom. Nice guy. The amount of helmets in the shed was overwhelming.

Shipp_96
04-04-2011, 09:28 PM
As a Steelers fan, I hated seeing Gary Russell go :(. I also missed out on a Raiders jersey of his on JO Sports...oh well. But that's one sweet looking trophy!

My greatest purchase to date pales in comparision to yours, but it was a Ray Durham GU A's helmet, that I got him to sign later on when he was a Giant. Seeing the child like joy in him when he recognized it was his helmet, and watching him pick it up, hug it, and grin from cheek to cheek was priceless!

shoremen44
04-05-2011, 09:45 AM
I didnt know we had a celebrity in our midst....

Dennis Quaid is a Minnesota fan?