PDA

View Full Version : RIP Charlie Metro

sox83cubs84
03-29-2011, 10:42 PM
Charlie Metro, a man who served as player, coach ,head coach and manager during his career in MLB, died March 18 at age 91.

Metro was an outfielder during World War 2, playing for the Tigers during 1943 and part of 1944, finishing that year, and also 1945, with the Athletics.

He was part of the infamous College of Coaches experiment attempted by Cubs owner P.K. Wrigley in the early 1960s, serving as head coach for the majority of 1962 and, combined with El Tappe and Lou Klein, led the Cubs to a 9th place finish in a 10-team league.

He also was the second manager ever for the Kansas City Royals, starting the 1970 season as field boss before being replaced by Bob Lemon. The Royals finished 4th in a 6-team division.

Dave Miedema

xpress34
03-29-2011, 11:34 PM
Dave -

I was just asking if anyone knew how Charlie was doing the other day. You see, he was living in Denver (former Manager of the Bears as well in his resume) and when I was working for Rawlings at Coors Field, Charlie use to come by our booth quite often and chat.

He was quite the character - unfortunately, he also suffered from some dementia as the Coors Field Staff would often find him wondering around the lower levels of the stadium (including the clubhouses) where he would you his Retired MLB ID as a means to get past security points who didn't know better.

I had Charlie sign a ball for me one day - I still have it - and there is a story about him as well... it's a reference to Nanty Glow, PA. Charlie always said he was a 'leather' man and not so good with the lumber.

One of my favorite stories with him was after the Marlins won the 2003 WS. Charlie found out I was a collector and autograph hound and he told me to remind Jack McKeon (if I saw him) how Charlie gave him his 1st job in the majors... well, needless to say the Marlins come to town, I get McKeon to sign my 2003 WS poster and I mention Charlie.

Jack and I talk for about 10 minutes when I bring up Charlie's comment about him giving Jack his 1st job... Jack takes his cigar out and says, 'That lying Sonuvabitch. You win a WS and alll of a sudden everyone gave you your 1st job.' Jack did go on to say great things about Charlie, that was just a great part of the conversation.

RIP Charlie.

- Smitty

xpress34
03-29-2011, 11:36 PM
Nanty Glo article on Charlie's passing:

Charlie Metro (http://www.nantyglo.com/metro.htm)

- Smitty