PDA

View Full Version : NFL Issues affect G/U Prices?

gingi79
03-29-2011, 07:04 PM
Just wanted to get some opinions and healthy discussion. In your opinion will a long work stoppage or Lockout or other issue in the NFL cause any fluctuation in game used material?

jake33
03-30-2011, 11:52 AM
IF there are no games in September and beyond, it could change something. To me, college collectors overall seem more passionate about their teams and willing to pay higher dollar amounts for pro jerseys of their favorite college stars. But teams like Pittsburgh, Chicago, Green Bay, Dallas, and the 2 New York teams seem to have a higher loyalty and following which keeps prices high.

Regardless, I think there could be a bigger issue. I am really wondering what will happen after the 2011 season. The teams got to dump their jerseys. Nike is taking over and more than likely it will not be a logo sewn over the old Reebok manufacture logo, like when Puma did that in the 1990's. I do not think there will be change over in actual fonts, logos and designs. It will be the spandex in odd places, the cut of the sleeves, rounded nameplates, new helmet styling. I assume there will not be a nike logo on the left breast like they do in college. It will probably be on the sleeves like usual. But, if I was an NFL that was debating on a uniform redesign, 2012 would be the year to do it since there is a change over anyways.

I also wonder how this will change retail NFL jerseys. It took the NFL a good 2 decades to make replicas with fake spandex sides. It also took reebok 3+ years to make the Bucs "authentic" jerseys look like what they wear on the field (the spandex in 2002 changes to curving up like the Broncos started in 1997)

I can see Under Armour growing to the point of taking over the uniforms in 2017 and doing their version.

CampWest
03-30-2011, 01:06 PM
Just wanted to get some opinions and healthy discussion. In your opinion will a long work stoppage or Lockout or other issue in the NFL cause any fluctuation in game used material?

In the short-term - I think its strongly a "Yes" on the downward impact.

Sports collectibles are so much about what is current and what is hot. Vintage stuff obviously not as much. But the hobby as a whole should expect a drop in prices, associated with a drop in popularity and a drop in buzz.

The last baseball strike took 4-5 years to recover from and its frankly still feeling impact from fans who are still bitter or jaded from that experience. I think NFL is in a better position to bounce back more quickly, due to its starting from the all-time high for popularity of the sport/league. I think the long-term impact will be greatly dependent on how lengthy and how ugly the stoppage is.

I don't see any reason to think NFL GU stuff will increase or even stay flat during a stoppage. I think it will decline, though maybe not significantly right off the bat, but the longer they're off the more it would drop.

legaleagle92481
03-30-2011, 03:41 PM
the value of gu stuff is always in flux. it depends on the time of year. in the offseason stuff sells for less than during season. players and teams performing better during season see their values rise and vice versa. also when players retire, die or change teams demand and values change for their stuff. the lockout affects values today but its unlike any games will be missed and once season starts up demand and values will soar again.