PDA

View Full Version : Phils/Rays WS 08 AUTHENTICATION -- VERY ODD!!! ~ READ!

jake33
03-25-2011, 09:44 AM
Ok, I am obviously a huge Tampa Bay Rays fan and try to do a ton of homework before any purchase...

Sometimes, when i got into MLB.com's authentication look up, I will go up and down numbers close to the serial number I have. just to see what else is out there that is authenticated. When items are authenticated, the hologram sticker comes right off a sheet or roll almost in numberical order. So, seeing what is out there is not too hard...

I am also a huge Eric Hinske fan & collector, so Hinske-Rays game used items are like gold to me.

Now, let me say I really like the MLB authentication system. Although it is VERY FLAWED, it does help out a lot (more than hurt in many cases). However, I wish I could get some items I got in person authenticated, as I am sure people out there may doubt authenticity of items that can be easily faked, like hats, balls, batting gloves, cleats....
---
Ok, so I am looking at getting a WS game used ball used by EH....

The authentication number for the Hinske Foul Ball from the 08 world series is (believe me this won't be cheap)

LH 172252

With that at-bat, I went to view the video of the at-bat last night.
The at-bat lasted 3 total pitches.
Pitch #1 was fouled off and it looks like the ball was flipped over to the side of the field where I assume it went for authentication.

The next pitch was a strike (not fouled off). That ball was then thrown back to the pitcher, Brad Lidge. Lidge then pitched the next pitch which was a swinging strike.

Here is the odd thing:
MLB authentication number LH 172251 reads the exact same thing in the MLB database as LH 172251. Foul ball by Hinske from Lidge

He only fouled off 1 pitch, so there is no way 2 balls could be authenticated reading the same thing. Maybe when the ball was authenticated originally, there was a problem with the first hologram sticker and it was removed for a new one? Just makes me wonder exactly how that particular ball I want to buy was used in the series and which is correct.

---

I am also in the process of writing a game used collecting book. Not that I really looking at making money on it, but I have been working on parts of this for 5 years. If I had this ball and mention it in the book and someone claims to have the same ball but with a different authentication number, my credibility could be completely shot.

jake33
03-25-2011, 09:45 AM
http://www.mlb.com/mlb/authentication/index.jsp

BULBUS
03-25-2011, 10:08 AM
Here is the odd thing:
MLB authentication number LH 172251 reads the exact same thing in the MLB database as LH 172251. Foul ball by Hinske from Lidge

Not so odd, they are the same number ;) :D

jake33
03-25-2011, 10:17 AM
meant to type

LH 172252 is the same as LH 172251

coxfan
03-25-2011, 01:26 PM
One possibility is that the authenticator mistook, or misrecorded, the swinging strike as a foul. Clerical errors like that occur occasionally. Also, authenticators sometimes use wrong terminology, like "foul tip" for a foul in the dirt, or "wild pitch" for a pitch to the backstop when there's nobody on.

Does your ball show evidence of being fouled, such as a dirty scuff mark?

jake33
03-25-2011, 02:32 PM
I was thinking too that maybe the 2nd strike was a foul tip, but was not... And probably one ball was the foul ball (dribbled down to ryan howard and he flipped it over) and one was the strike.... very difficult to tell

A lot of those authenticators are law enforcement volunteers. I wonder how fan-centric they are though? Would love to interview an mlb authenticator to get a feel for the entire process.

-------------

I would also like to see a official or standard place to place hologram for particular items. For example, I have a few game used mlb authenticated jerseys... The hologram placement varies greatly. Some are on the outside tagging, some on the tackle twill number, some were on the inside collar, some right next to the autograph. Also on helmets, i have seel the hologram on the back of the helmet, the front bill, underneath the bill, on the side of the helmet. Would be nice, if authenticators inc could pick one "official" spot for the hologram and go with it.

DeacDoug
03-25-2011, 04:42 PM
Not precisely on topic, but I was at game 4 when he drilled a Joe Blanton fastball over the centerfield fence for a pinch hit homer. The man has power. Sat next to some Rays fans and boy were they cold. I was too.

cliffjmp33
05-06-2011, 09:40 PM
Jake, not sure if you ended up buying this. Just saw it up on eBay.