PDA

View Full Version : Cox to have number retired

sox83cubs84
03-23-2011, 11:04 PM
Bobby Cox, longtime Atlanta Braves manager, will have his uniform #6 retired by the Braves in 2011. The ceremony will take place before an August 12 game that is hosting the Cubs.

Dave Miedema

gingi79
03-24-2011, 01:11 AM
I realize I'm not part of MLB or the Braves but I always wonder about retirement ceremonies and the opponents a team picks to play when they do them. The Braves picked the Chicago Cubs. This is a case in point.

Bobby Cox is a HOF Manager. He managed exactly TWO TEAMS in his entire MLB career. Obviously the Braves and for those of you who aren't aware, the Toronto Blue Jays. In fact he was an AL Manager of the Year with the Jays in 1985.

Now, I'd understand if say the Braves weren't playing the Jays this season or if they were playing them in Canada. But Toronto visits the Braves in Atlanta for 3 games from June 20-22nd. Yeah, I know it's a Mon-Weds but how can you NOT pick that series to retire his number and honor him?

Is it just me? Am I wrong here? Teams always seem to miss obvious connections when scheduling retirements and such. The one situation in my mind that baseball got right was back when MLB retired #42 for Jackie Robinson. They did it when the Dodgers returned to NY for a series with the current NL team from NY, the Mets. Just seems like common sense to me, no?

kylehess10
03-24-2011, 12:49 PM
I realize I'm not part of MLB or the Braves but I always wonder about retirement ceremonies and the opponents a team picks to play when they do them. The Braves picked the Chicago Cubs. This is a case in point.

Bobby Cox is a HOF Manager. He managed exactly TWO TEAMS in his entire MLB career. Obviously the Braves and for those of you who aren't aware, the Toronto Blue Jays. In fact he was an AL Manager of the Year with the Jays in 1985.

Now, I'd understand if say the Braves weren't playing the Jays this season or if they were playing them in Canada. But Toronto visits the Braves in Atlanta for 3 games from June 20-22nd. Yeah, I know it's a Mon-Weds but how can you NOT pick that series to retire his number and honor him?

Is it just me? Am I wrong here? Teams always seem to miss obvious connections when scheduling retirements and such. The one situation in my mind that baseball got right was back when MLB retired #42 for Jackie Robinson. They did it when the Dodgers returned to NY for a series with the current NL team from NY, the Mets. Just seems like common sense to me, no?

The past 2 or 3 Braves retirement ceremonies were all held in August. I don't understand what's so special about August.

legaleagle92481
03-25-2011, 08:52 AM
they pick august in case they dont contend, it gives them a late season sellout. even in good times braves have trouble drawing so its a good hedge. though i think braves have a good team but they are very young in some spots ie heyward, freeman and hanson and the closer but very old in others ie chipper and hudson. plus they have to adjust to new manager and if utley gets healthy phils have chance to run away with the division. on a side note why do managers have numbers?

LastingsMilledge85
03-25-2011, 10:04 AM
on a side note why do managers have numbers?

Tradition, because managers used to be able to play during games.