PDA

View Full Version : Dan Marino Gu Jersry On Ebay! Real?

notslip0602286
03-22-2011, 02:24 AM
So, do you guys think this is legit??

http://cgi.ebay.com/DAN-MARINO-Game-Used-Worn-Jersey-HOF-MIAMI-DOLPHINS-13_W0QQitemZ300395443737QQcategoryZ86829QQcmdZView ItemQQ_trksidZp5197.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu %3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D79 10330979228493377

notslip0602286
03-22-2011, 05:50 PM
any idea anyone?

nycpropain
03-23-2011, 12:30 AM
any idea anyone?

this topic was literally 3 from the top.

Jags Fan Dan
03-23-2011, 07:18 AM
I think if anybody here could say for sure it was real they would have bought it by now. If it's real, in my opinion, it's an absolute steal.

legaleagle92481
03-23-2011, 09:31 AM
dan makes a great point. a marino jersey is something many of us would love to have but nobody can be sure if this is real and if its real its a steal but if not you wasted four grand. to me its too big a risk. blue chip sports has alot of big name stuff but it never has any provanance and is usually priced below market which worries me. how do they get this stuff if its real? they had a jeter jersey from the steiner years without steiner coa, howd they get that? plus ive been in hobby 20 plus years and never heard of them outside seeing their stuff on ebay. there are marino jerseys out there from mounted memories, a company that marino i believe is on the board of and has had him as exclusive for autographs for years. the last two years they consigned a jersey to hunts superbowl auction so there are chances to get them. otherwise id try to find one with a letter from mears or dave aka soxcubs on here.

Jags Fan Dan
03-23-2011, 10:03 AM
dan makes a great point. a marino jersey is something many of us would love to have but nobody can be sure if this is real and if its real its a steal but if not you wasted four grand. to me its too big a risk. blue chip sports has alot of big name stuff but it never has any provanance and is usually priced below market which worries me. how do they get this stuff if its real? they had a jeter jersey from the steiner years without steiner coa, howd they get that? plus ive been in hobby 20 plus years and never heard of them outside seeing their stuff on ebay. there are marino jerseys out there from mounted memories, a company that marino i believe is on the board of and has had him as exclusive for autographs for years. the last two years they consigned a jersey to hunts superbowl auction so there are chances to get them. otherwise id try to find one with a letter from mears or dave aka soxcubs on here.
Yep, or try to photomatch that one because it does look like it has some marks on the back. If you do photomatch it, make sure you hit the buy it now before you come back here and post your photos!!:D Actually, make sure you have the jersey in hand before you post the photos.

Lokee
03-23-2011, 04:40 PM
1,800 somebody got a DEAL of a lifetime :cool:

Jags Fan Dan
03-23-2011, 05:12 PM
1,800 somebody got a DEAL of a lifetime :cool:
Yeah, exactly. If you had a legit signed game used Marino jersey and you sold it for that, you must have some guys knocking on your door with tire irons in their hands waiting to break your knee caps, because that would be a desperate move!

legaleagle92481
03-23-2011, 07:09 PM
Eh. Thats a great deal if real but try photomatching something from 1996. It is not matched to a specific game either. It would be a tall order. as we all know unlike today's games there are not nearly as many pics and videos available online from games from 15 years ago.

notslip0602286
03-23-2011, 09:32 PM
Is there a place I can send it that could authenticate it? Can you get a game used jersey authenticated? Thanks for all of your help everyone!!

Dewey2007
03-23-2011, 10:02 PM
Check out this link:

http://www.ihaveplanet.com/Trading/TradingBoard.aspx?Board=29

Traders on this site have every 1996 Dolphins regular season game on video available. If you really wanted to try and match I would try contacting some of them and seeing if they would be willing to sell footage of every game he wore this style jersey if you don't have anything for trade. Hell, if you can match the Marino to game footage you got quite a steal. If not, you have 30 days to return the item if not satisfied per the BCS eBay listing.

Good luck!

Is there a place I can send it that could authenticate it? Can you get a game used jersey authenticated? Thanks for all of your help everyone!!

ivo610
03-23-2011, 10:34 PM
Is there a place II'm can send it that could authenticate it? Can you get a game used jersey authenticated? Thanks for all of your help everyone!!

I'm sure if you mail Lou $50 he will write you a LOA

Lol.

notslip0602286
03-24-2011, 02:49 PM
Lol who???

notslip0602286
03-31-2011, 10:54 AM
So I got the Marino jersey in the mail today. Considering what it is, it was thrown in a bag with a cheap looking "COA". Luckily there is a money back guarentee on this guys site! Anyway, the jersey does have a lot of game use looking marks on it, but it is still kind of hard to tell. I'm thinking about sending it to MEARS or some place like that to see what they have to say about it, even though they want to charge something like $200 to look at it. Any advice?

ivo610
03-31-2011, 11:18 AM
dont wait, get your money back as fast as possible.

Real Marinos cost over 6k.

nickacs
03-31-2011, 11:48 AM
I second that... Marino jerseys are just like Michael Jordan and Larry Bird '91 jerseys.. Every single major auction house has one and every day on Ebay they are there too. I mean come on.. There's only SO many game worn jerseys from those guys, let alone Marino that you can actually count how many for sure.

I would get my money back, but at the very least if you are going to keep it, I would definitely send to MEARS to get an opinion. But if your going to keep it forever, who cares.. If you looking to sell at some point, it won't or at least it will have to be very cheap.

Hate to say it, but as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. I've been dupped with Jordan jerseys, Jeter jersey, AlexR jersey and Barkley '92 olympic all of which I've learned my lessons and scrutinize EVERYTHING I buy game worn. Quite frankly, I don't give a F if the jersey comes from ANY of the major auction houses with their letter or NBA/NFL letters. Means squat. Photomatch is the only way or see it come right off the players back to my hands. Marks, scuffs, etc can easily be added to an NFL jersey, as it's already been documented on here people have done that! Can't stress enough to do your research first before buying and photomatch the heck out of it.

Good luck in whatever you do, but $1800 for a true game-worn Marino doesn't sound right.

sammy
03-31-2011, 12:03 PM
I had a Mario jersey that I sold 6 years ago. It came with a Dolphins letters and I sold it back then for 4800.00.

http://www.amazon.com/b?%5Fencoding=UTF8&site-redirect=&node=256994011&tag=colmor-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325

Mulligans
03-31-2011, 01:06 PM
Billy....I agree with the guys....send it back fast. You will pay Mears $200 wait 2 months, get no response to you calls or emails and then they will send you a report saying that they were "Unable to Authenticate". I'll do all that for free.:)

dbushing1
03-31-2011, 03:02 PM
Mr. Mulligan
While I do not work nor make any profit from MEARS authentic, your comments are not correct. If that was the case, there would not be the recorded thousands of jerseys in the data base that any $40 per year member can access. Sure, it is a risk of $200 if the letter comes back with a bad report but the risk , if you are not capable of doing the research yourself, is minimal if the shirt does indeed come back as real and then you have a potential 4-5000 shirt or a profit of 2200-3200 less 200 fee. If you email them about the importance of time with the 30 day rush if not good, it will get done. Once the letter is finished, their money back guarantee offers a life time warranty on the opinion or your money back so your 1800 spent on the Marino is safe. As for unable to authenticate , that usually means not that they cannot identify but there are obvious problems. I have what would be a quarter million dollars worth of jerseys here with Loa's on each, each one purchased as real and all are out right fakes. The persons who issued the letters did not back up the opinion with a refund and here they sit. The original buyers are out hundreds of thousands of dollars for basically worthless shirts. The idea that each shirt should be photo matched works great on modern shirts but what if you have an original 1918 Brooklyn Dodgers jersey of a nobody that is all original. Not having a photo match of that player does not make it a bad shirt. In some cases, examining the patches, style, maker, originality and other aspects of the jersey leave no doubt as to its being real but a photo match may be next to impossible. To the buyer of the Marino, if you think it has a shot and if it comes back legit, you stand to make a pretty penny. If not, you are out $200. You have to ask yourself is it worth the risk. David Bushing

karamaxjoe
03-31-2011, 04:10 PM

Why would you take an $1800.00 gamble on something you appear to know little about?

trsent
03-31-2011, 04:27 PM
So I got the Marino jersey in the mail today. Considering what it is, it was thrown in a bag with a cheap looking "COA". Luckily there is a money back guarentee on this guys site! Anyway, the jersey does have a lot of game use looking marks on it, but it is still kind of hard to tell. I'm thinking about sending it to MEARS or some place like that to see what they have to say about it, even though they want to charge something like $200 to look at it. Any advice?

Call MEARS and tell them you need to have a rush job and be sure they can do it. I'd gamble $200.00 for a MEARS letter if you may have found a great steal of a deal. Also, check with eBay and PayPal to be sure how much time eBay Buyer Protection is valid for. I believe it is 45 or 60 days, but don't get caught taking too much time and lose your ability to use their protection service if the item comes back questionable.

The price of the jersey you paid doesn't make it not as advertised as many on here have stated. It does raise suspicions why a genuine jersey would sell for so much below market, but that doesn't mean the jersey is not genuine.

Jags Fan Dan
03-31-2011, 04:37 PM
The problem I have is, a dealer accepted $1,800 for the jersey as a best offer. He didn't get hung out to dry on a poor auction performance. He's either desperate for cash, generous as Santa, or passing along a questionable jersey.

ivo610
03-31-2011, 05:04 PM
I feel like if you post several pictures on here (tagging, close up of name plate, turn jersey inside out, any wear, ect) you can get an opinion just as good as any authenticator.

Jags Fan Dan
03-31-2011, 05:07 PM
I feel like if you post several pictures on here (tagging, close up of name plate, turn jersey inside out, any wear, ect) you can get an opinion just as good as any authenticator.
I would say better than any authenticator.

Mulligans
03-31-2011, 05:27 PM
Dave....I think you may have missed the point of my post.

Just a few important items not to overlook:

1. The Buyer is new to collecting GU and has asked many of us our opinion on the Marino and many other Jerseys over the last few weeks. He is trying to learn and we are trying to help him out so that he doesn't make a big mistake on one of his first GU Jerseys. I believe that he may have misinterpreted our suggestions and went ahead and purchased the Marino.

2. The Seller has sold 1000's of Jerseys and his name has surfaced on the forum in a negative light on more than one occasion. It would not surprise me if one of his items (that he sold for way below market) came back with a below average score from Mears.

3. Mears has been discussed on this forum from time to time as having poor customer service....long delays....and being non responsive to their customers. Unfortunately, that was also my experience on more than one occasion.

I would not personally recommend that Billy roll the dice on this one and hope that he gets lucky? He is asking for suggestions and personally I think the facts "speak for themself". Some of us are suggesting that he return the Jersey and find something better as his first GU Jersey.

Jeff

trsent
03-31-2011, 06:12 PM
Dave....I think you may have missed the point of my post.

Just a few important items not to overlook:

2. The Seller has sold 1000's of Jerseys and his name has surfaced on the forum in a negative light on more than one occasion. It would not surprise me if one of his items (that he sold for way below market) came back with a below average score from Mears.

Jeff

Jeff, I didn't see anywhere in this thread discussing the seller's credibility. Can you please find links about the seller's past issues? I didn't even look at the seller, but this point is the first time I have seen anyone questioning the seller for selling thousands of jerseys and negative comments about the seller until your post earlier today.

Please elaborate and find some links about the seller to educate the buyer of this jersey.

Mulligans
03-31-2011, 06:27 PM
I believe the seller is blue chip sports......enter those three words on the search tab above and evaluate them as you see fit.......I hate to beat up sellers but if it quacks like a duck?........?:)

legaleagle92481
04-01-2011, 08:51 AM
my opinion return the jersey. 200 is alot to gamble. buying cheap stuff from those in the business of selling goods of that kind looking to strike gold is like buying lotto tickets, theres a tiny chance you could win but 99.999% of the time your just tossing your money away. price doesnt automatically make something fake but when buying from a dealer stuff gotten dirt cheap ususally is. especially a rare item that is worth over 2X what you paid for it.

cohibasmoker
04-01-2011, 11:26 AM
I've attached some scans of Dolphin jerseys from 1995 and 1996.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

dbushing1
04-01-2011, 11:41 AM
I agree that throwing some really good pics of wear, tags , etc on this site and see if it even has a chance, great way to start and save yourself 200. If it looks like it has a shot, then the 200 would probably be well spent as to ultimate retail. If it appears that it has no chance once all the opinions are in, I too would send it back. As to Blue Chip sports, I knew them when they were in Atlanta back in the 1980s and they used to get a lot of great stuff. I have no idea as to what they do currently so I cannot comment on that aspect of where the jersey was sourced. As ot MEARS customer service, I cannot comment as I don't do any work for them. I have generally heard that it is sometimes slow but I know that each piece sent in gets done but again, cannot comment on time frame of service. As to how could a guy sell such a great shirt, if real, at that price, it often depends on what he paid. I once bought a 1930 Hack Wilson all original home jersey, RBI season, for $95. Flea market dealer, he priced it, and I bought it on second day of show. He stated he had been offered 85 but would not sell for a penny less than his listed price and then he even told me it was Hack Wilson so it does happen. I am sure there are many others out there who have had a similar experience. David Bushing

1970REDS
04-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Blue Chip Sports back in the 80's was owned and operated by Paul Kinzer was very honest and fair it has changed hands since then .

cohibasmoker
04-01-2011, 12:23 PM
I agree that throwing some really good pics of wear, tags , etc on this site and see if it even has a chance, great way to start and save yourself 200. If it looks like it has a shot, then the 200 would probably be well spent as to ultimate retail. If it appears that it has no chance once all the opinions are in, I too would send it back. As to Blue Chip sports, I knew them when they were in Atlanta back in the 1980s and they used to get a lot of great stuff. I have no idea as to what they do currently so I cannot comment on that aspect of where the jersey was sourced. As ot MEARS customer service, I cannot comment as I don't do any work for them. I have generally heard that it is sometimes slow but I know that each piece sent in gets done but again, cannot comment on time frame of service. As to how could a guy sell such a great shirt, if real, at that price, it often depends on what he paid. I once bought a 1930 Hack Wilson all original home jersey, RBI season, for $95. Flea market dealer, he priced it, and I bought it on second day of show. He stated he had been offered 85 but would not sell for a penny less than his listed price and then he even told me it was Hack Wilson so it does happen. I am sure there are many others out there who have had a similar experience. David Bushing

If it were my jersey and I was into it for $1800.00, what's another $200.00 bucks to get another opinion on it? I would call MEARS (if those are the folks the buyer is happy with) and explain the situation. I have to believe that with the amount of postings to this thread, they are already aware of the jersey and they may already have an opinion on it so how much time would it really take to authenticate it?

eBay has a Buyers Protection Guarantee so the Seller's return policy is irreverent. However, one must prove that an item was/isn't as advertised. The way I see it is, if the jersey is authenticated, that's great and for $2000.00, that's still a good deal plus you'll have some piece of mind. If the jersey is not authenticated, file a complaint with eBay ASAP basing your complaint on MEARS opinion. Send the jersey back and eBay will see to it that you get your money back. Better to lose $200.00 than $1800.00.

Just an opinion - hope I didn't offend anyone.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

trsent
04-01-2011, 12:45 PM
If it were my jersey and I was into it for $1800.00, what's another $200.00 bucks to get another opinion on it? I would call MEARS (if those are the folks the buyer is happy with) and explain the situation. I have to believe that with the amount of postings to this thread, they are already aware of the jersey and they may already have an opinion on it so how much time would it really take to authenticate it?

eBay has a Buyers Protection Guarantee so the Seller's return policy is irreverent. However, one must prove that an item was/isn't as advertised. The way I see it is, if the jersey is authenticated, that's great and for $2000.00, that's still a good deal plus you'll have some piece of mind. If the jersey is not authenticated, file a complaint with eBay ASAP basing your complaint on MEARS opinion. Send the jersey back and eBay will see to it that you get your money back. Better to lose $200.00 than $1800.00.

Just an opinion - hope I didn't offend anyone.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

Jim, I'm with you.

notslip0602286
04-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Hey guys thanks for all the comments! I will take pictures tonight, and will post them on here for you to see! I wouldn't have purchased the jersey had I not known I had a money back guarentee, all by the seller, ebay, AND paypal. That being said, I know I have a very limited time to get it authenticated. Thanks again!

notslip0602286
04-01-2011, 06:51 PM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/%3Ca%20href=%22http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/notslip0602286/?action=view&current=DSC01504.jpg%22%20target=%22_ blank%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/notslip0602286/DSC01504.jpg%22%20border=%220%22%20alt=%22Photobuc ket%22%3E%3C/a%3Ehttp://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/%3Ca%20href=%22http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/notslip0602286/?action=view&current=DSC01504.jpg%22%20target=%22_ blank%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/notslip0602286/DSC01504.jpg%22%20border=%220%22%20alt=%22Photobuc ket%22%3E%3C/a%3Ehttp://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/%3Ca%20href=%22http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/notslip0602286/?action=view&current=DSC01502.jpg%22%20target=%22_ blank%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/notslip0602286/DSC01502.jpg%22%20border=%220%22%20alt=%22Photobuc ket%22%3E%3C/a%3Ehttp://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/%3Ca%20href=%22http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/notslip0602286/?action=view&current=DSC01501.jpg%22%20target=%22_ blank%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/notslip0602286/DSC01501.jpg%22%20border=%220%22%20alt=%22Photobuc ket%22%3E%3C/a%3Ehttp://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/%3Ca%20href=%22http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/notslip0602286/?action=view&current=DSC01500.jpg%22%20target=%22_ blank%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/notslip0602286/DSC01500.jpg%22%20border=%220%22%20alt=%22Photobuc ket%22%3E%3C/a%3Ehttp://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/%3Ca%20href=%22http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/notslip0602286/?action=view&current=DSC01499.jpg%22%20target=%22_ blank%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/notslip0602286/DSC01499.jpg%22%20border=%220%22%20alt=%22Photobuc ket%22%3E%3C/a%3Ehttp://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/%3Ca%20href=%22http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/notslip0602286/?action=view&current=DSC01498.jpg%22%20target=%22_ blank%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/notslip0602286/DSC01498.jpg%22%20border=%220%22%20alt=%22Photobuc ket%22%3E%3C/a%3E

notslip0602286
04-01-2011, 06:52 PM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/notslip0602286/DSC01505.jpg

notslip0602286
04-01-2011, 06:54 PM
Pics....any feedback on these? If you guys want more let me know! thanks!

Dewey2007
04-01-2011, 07:02 PM
The pics look intriguing. I still think you should try and get game footage off that link I posted earlier to try and match it rather then waste your time and money sending it to get authenticated. That still won't prove if it's legit or not. I think only a photo/video match will do in this case. Good luck with whatever you do!

Pics....any feedback on these? If you guys want more let me know! thanks!

Mulligans
04-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Finfanron has every game that Marino ever played in On DVD for $6 a piece. Google his name and you will find him. He is a real nice guy and very helpful. I am working on a Marino project with him now. If you can't find his email I can get it for you. Good luck.

Jeff

notslip0602286
04-01-2011, 11:42 PM
can you email me his email address? I can't seem to find it, thanks a bunch!!!

nickacs
04-16-2011, 09:02 AM
Any update on your photomatch findings? I presume not since the jersey is back on Ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/GAME-USED-GAME-WORN-DAN-MARINO-JERSEY-1996-COA-/270735459464?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f09174488

trsent
04-16-2011, 09:31 AM
Any update on your photomatch findings? I presume not since the jersey is back on Ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/GAME-USED-GAME-WORN-DAN-MARINO-JERSEY-1996-COA-/270735459464?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f09174488

I never understand, if your $2500 - $5500 items comes with a Certificate of Authenticity, why wouldn't you announce in the description who the COA is issued by? Why wouldn't you include a picture of the COA in your listing?

At least eBay has an edit feature so these can be added to the description if the seller wishes to update their listing.

trsent
04-16-2011, 12:34 PM
I just received an email from an associate who knows a lot more about game used football jerseys than I do. He told me the Dan Marino jersey has issues. He said the 1996 year tag is wrong and too big. He also said the size of the jersey is wrong.

Jags Fan Dan
04-16-2011, 01:30 PM
I just received an email from an associate who knows a lot more about game used football jerseys than I do. He told me the Dan Marino jersey has issues. He said the 1996 year tag is wrong and too big. He also said the size of the jersey is wrong.
I'm sure I speak for many of us when I say I am not surprised.

ivo610
04-16-2011, 03:06 PM
sounds like someone got an expensive lesson in this hobby.

short84
04-17-2011, 07:48 AM
Did I miss something? This questionable jersey has now been relisted for a higher price and the attitude is let the buyer beware -- even after all the discussion that has gone on here? Now, the new seller is the one who started this thread?

Jags Fan Dan
04-17-2011, 08:01 AM
Did I miss something? This questionable jersey has now been relisted for a higher price and the attitude is let the buyer beware -- even after all the discussion that has gone on here? Now, the new seller is the one who started this thread?
That appears to be the case.

nickacs
04-17-2011, 10:16 AM
LMAO.. So, the Ebay link I posted 2 days ago "suddenly" just ended at min bid $2500 or BIN for $5000 with no bites.

TODAY, the item is relisted again.. and get this.. min bid at $3000 and BIN for $6000. Are you kidding me?? He knows it's no good and now trying to dup someone else into buying it for 3x the amount he paid for it.. WOW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270736704198

short84
04-17-2011, 10:46 AM
I like being able to sleep at night.

legaleagle92481
04-17-2011, 11:57 AM
Just sad and despicable. I have no respect for people that do this.

Jags Fan Dan
04-17-2011, 12:39 PM
Back to the jersey, and its "use", how do you get dirt spots on the interior neck tags? I have a Brunell jersey that is pretty muddy, but the interior tagging is clean. Anybody seen this before?

notslip0602286
04-17-2011, 11:41 PM
im still in the process, it came with a coa from the guy i got it from, but mears has not been calling me back or anything. i figured id post it and see what kind of watches and feedback it recieved. do you have the contact info for the person who said that the jersey is wrong? because when i posted pics on here before no one said anything for sure, but now since it's listed all of the sudden it's wrong. so id like to know exacly what the flaws are so I can talk to the person I got it from, thanks

notslip0602286
04-17-2011, 11:50 PM
and the auction "suddenly" ended because the time was up, i only posted it for 3 days

trsent
04-18-2011, 01:31 AM
im still in the process, it came with a coa from the guy i got it from, but mears has not been calling me back or anything. i figured id post it and see what kind of watches and feedback it recieved. do you have the contact info for the person who said that the jersey is wrong? because when i posted pics on here before no one said anything for sure, but now since it's listed all of the sudden it's wrong. so id like to know exacly what the flaws are so I can talk to the person I got it from, thanks

No sorry, the guy who said the jersey was wrong will not be accepting phone calls over his findings, as if he wanted to talk about it he would post it himself but he doesn't post on this forum for personal reasons.

You can trust me, sending it to MEARS you will find the same results I notified you of. Can't help any more than that. Free authentication for the jersey, and I'm sorry if his timing wasn't soon enough for you, he just saw the thread the other day and emailed me out of the blue.

notslip0602286
04-18-2011, 02:32 AM
well what kind of credentials does he have? Someone posted pictures earlier in this exact forum, and the pictures look very similar, not saying he's wrong, as I am new to this hobby, but I don't really know. I go by what i can see and what people on here and various other sources tell me

trsent
04-18-2011, 03:39 AM
well what kind of credentials does he have? Someone posted pictures earlier in this exact forum, and the pictures look very similar, not saying he's wrong, as I am new to this hobby, but I don't really know. I go by what i can see and what people on here and various other sources tell me

I gave you information for your benefit. If you don't wish to accept it, don't. That is your choice, but I am not able to offer you more information about the information I offered you. It is good information, and you should use it to your benefit.

If I told you the information came from me, would that help? I have been buying and selling game used memorabilia for about 25 years now. I have worked with some of the best experts in the industry and I used them to help me when I am unsure.

notslip0602286
04-18-2011, 07:02 PM
well i appreciate that, however, it definitely seemed to be in an accusing manner, same with a few other people on here. No one ever has definitely confirmed to me 100% that this jersey is not legit, most people don't know, some people tell me to send it to mears, some people tell me not to. No matter what I do here I will get criticized, thing is, I can still get my money that I paid back for the jersey. The intent of putting it on ebay so soon was to see what sort of response it got, if someone wants to accuse me of something, then instead of posting it on a forum, I'd appreciate an email first, notslip0602286@aol.com. I'm not here to make enemies, and I've met a couple people on this forum that have really helped me out and I appreciate it alot, so thanks.

therealaxis
04-18-2011, 07:15 PM
well i appreciate that, however, it definitely seemed to be in an accusing manner, same with a few other people on here. No one ever has definitely confirmed to me 100% that this jersey is not legit, most people don't know, some people tell me to send it to mears, some people tell me not to. No matter what I do here I will get criticized, thing is, I can still get my money that I paid back for the jersey. The intent of putting it on ebay so soon was to see what sort of response it got, if someone wants to accuse me of something, then instead of posting it on a forum, I'd appreciate an email first, notslip0602286@aol.com. I'm not here to make enemies, and I've met a couple people on this forum that have really helped me out and I appreciate it alot, so thanks.

You are not only asking for your money back, you are asking double what you paid for the jersey which still has many questions regarding its authenticity.

fredgarvin
04-18-2011, 07:43 PM
Not Real.

this topic was literally 3 from the top.

trsent
04-18-2011, 08:31 PM

FYI - I never accused you of anything. I was just informing you of information I received.

notslip0602286
04-18-2011, 08:51 PM
asking for my money back, meaning, i can still get my money back from who I got it from. again, if you have questions, you can email me and ask. I have nothing to hide, thanks.

nickacs
04-18-2011, 09:20 PM
I've never accused anyone here in this thread of anything.

I agree with the recent comments, like alaxis, that you asked for everyone's opinion if it was real or not after you bought it from Ebay for $1800. Trsent and others expressed their concern over the jersey and offered in several ways to help personally and guide you to others.
Then you go on hiatus for a week or two and then the jersey does "suddenly" pop up on Ebay for $2500 BIN/$5k buy and then the auction ends and you re-list it for $3k BIN/$6k buy.

However, the overall problem with this whole thread/and you is that you STILL don't know if it's legit or not, yet you sell the jersey for 2.5x you paid and now 3x. So, you could very well be re-selling a potentially completely worthless $200 at best "game worn" Marino jersey and dup someone else of 3 TIMES the amount you paid for it??? Am I wrong here?? I mean, come on man. That's the part of this hobby that I absolutely HATE with a passion. I've been dupped over the last couple years by your very own "favorite" auctions houses and luckily one of them manned up and refunded my money a whole year later.

IF the jersey was indeed real/"game worn" Marino jersey, would you really re-sell it at all? I guess you certainly could for 3x the amount, but for that it MUST be a MEARS A10 jersey and nothing less. But the fact you ARE re-selling it with no proof of it's legitimacy just adds to the bigger problem here.

My email is in my profile and your more than welcome to email me as well, but I think this should be brought out into the open and discussed here civilly on this public forum. Nothing wrong with that.

I see all these other threads talking about Ebay/forum users dupping collectors, so I'd like to hopefully see this thread turn around for the best of you and everyone and it IS a legit jersey that can be proven and everyone can be happy. But looks like right now, there are opinions expressed on here that the jersey is not legit. Let's see what you do with it.

sox83cubs84
04-18-2011, 11:10 PM
While I hate to give the impression of "piling on", I looked at the eBay losting on this jersey and I, too, have concerns. I agree with the previous poster who opined that the boxed year tag was too large. Also, the embroidery (not the font, but the actual aqua thread) seems a bit off to me, as well.

I'm not going to slap any hands nor kick any rear ends here, but, if presented to me for a LOO, I would designate this piece as Unable To Authenticate.

Dave Miedema

notslip0602286
04-19-2011, 01:10 AM
This is, no one knew for sure before, now, people have STRONG opinions about it....which to me is just odd. I understand people's concern, and that is fine. If someone wants to bid in the ebay auction, and they get it and find it it is not real, then fine they get their money back as stated in the auction, I just don't have the time to send it to mears and get it authenticated and all that, like I originally thought I did, which is why I am at this time seeing the response I get on ebay, seeing how much interest there is and what not, I really do not expect to sell it at this point, so we'll see.

trsent
04-19-2011, 02:28 AM
This is, no one knew for sure before, now, people have STRONG opinions about it....which to me is just odd. I understand people's concern, and that is fine. If someone wants to bid in the ebay auction, and they get it and find it it is not real, then fine they get their money back as stated in the auction, I just don't have the time to send it to mears and get it authenticated and all that, like I originally thought I did, which is why I am at this time seeing the response I get on ebay, seeing how much interest there is and what not, I really do not expect to sell it at this point, so we'll see.

I am confused. You have been clearly told the jersey has issues, but you are still willing to sell it to someone who may not know about these issues? That is how I read your email above.

You have been told by myself and now Dave Miedema the jersey is not right, but you still want to try to find a sucker to buy it?

notslip0602286
04-19-2011, 03:42 AM
I believe I just stated my main reasons for posting it on ebay....so if you didn't understand I'll try and re word it a little better for you to comprehend...My main goal for posting the jersey on ebay was to see the response it got, at the same time, if someone buys it, I will offer 100% money back guarentee if they find it to not be authentic. That right there states that IF someone buys it, which for that price and lack of providence I doubt they would, I will still offer money back if they are willing to do the research.

legaleagle92481
04-19-2011, 09:03 AM
this entire thing makes no sense. how much time does it take to mail it to the authenticator? one would think less than it takes to set up the auction. you paid what 1800 for it so its not like you have a fortune tied up in it. forget mears you could submit it to grey flannel they have an ongoing auction and could probably still include it in their late additions. first they would authenticate it and they do make errors but are very knowledgeable. what worries me is your offer of a money back guarentee. first what is sufficient proof to you to prove item is not authentic?

trsent
04-19-2011, 11:23 AM
I believe I just stated my main reasons for posting it on ebay....so if you didn't understand I'll try and re word it a little better for you to comprehend...My main goal for posting the jersey on ebay was to see the response it got, at the same time, if someone buys it, I will offer 100% money back guarentee if they find it to not be authentic. That right there states that IF someone buys it, which for that price and lack of providence I doubt they would, I will still offer money back if they are willing to do the research.

Ok, but you have been told clearly - The jersey is questionable!

So now you say you'll sell it as game used and you'll let an unsuspecting customer decide? Sorry, that is 100% wrong. Please understand, you have been told by two industry experts the jersey isn't good but you would like to gamble and sell it to an honest person to let them determine if two industry experts are wrong?

Don't waste your time sending this jersey to Grey Flannel or MEARS - They will give you the same answer you have already heard - The jersey is not authentic.

If appears to me you are hoping for a miracle. It also appears to me now that you have new information about the jersey, you are condoning fraud.

ivo610
04-19-2011, 12:28 PM
If I sold someone a jersey and then when they failed to sell it for 3x as much, so they tried to return it, I would have a serious issue with that. I hope Ebay would as well.

nickacs
04-19-2011, 01:36 PM
If appears to me you are hoping for a miracle. It also appears to me now that you have new information about the jersey, you are condoning fraud.

Bingo...Just like I mentioned too.. I could get a blank Cards jersey, add 'PUJOLS' to the back and sell it for $6k on Ebay and "offer" my money back guarantee and hope some poor sucker doesn't try to authenticate it and "trust me". Here I just spent $100 on a blank jersey with modifications with a nice $5900 profit. Screw the buyer, let him figure it out.
MONEY BACK GUARANTEE OR NOT, your committing fraud my friend.

This is exactly where I was about 15 or so years ago when I "trusted" Ebay/auction houses and their stupid little letters. Ohhh, a LOA.. It MUST be good... LOL what a joke I've learned.. And yes, the hard way too.
No offense to Dave, MEARS, Meigray and PSA/JSA, as those places I do respect their opinion/letters. But Ebay stores and auction house ones, forget it!

Your clearly not understanding what your doing and for that, I'm done with your thread. Have fun with your $6k "game worn" Marino and make a nice $4200 profit on it laughing all the way to the bank while leaving someone with their hard earned money pissing it out the window.

YOU are what this hobby doesn't need. Another crook out to scam the good guys.

legaleagle92481
04-19-2011, 02:40 PM
ryans point is what i was getting at without saying it earlier. read his description in the auction and how he describes jersey. he is going to have trouble getting his money back if he gives up what hes doing now, which i think we all hope he will. without an opinion on paper from a recognized authenticator saying that items fake i think his conduct will make him hard pressed to get a refund.

notslip0602286
04-19-2011, 03:43 PM
well no matter what i say here you guys are now accusing me of fraud, lol. its up to you not to believe me, i don't care, and im not loosing sleep over it, you honestly seem more upset about this than I am. I told you my motivation, take it or leave it.

trsent
04-19-2011, 06:34 PM
well no matter what i say here you guys are now accusing me of fraud, lol. its up to you not to believe me, i don't care, and im not loosing sleep over it, you honestly seem more upset about this than I am. I told you my motivation, take it or leave it.

You came on this forum asking if we can help you determine if a jersey is genuine or not. You got your answer, and you now you are attempting to resell it to another customer (I don't care the price) and basically claiming that you don't care the jersey has been determined unable to authenticate.

We have done nothing but answer your questions and you have insulted the integrity of the industry by still trying to sell it instead of returning it to where you originally bought it and getting away from it.

notslip0602286
04-19-2011, 07:45 PM
no one here determined anything on its authenticity until consequently it was already on ebay, then all of the sudden by your standards and from your source its a definite fake, but before, you hadn't heard a single thing, you just had an opinion....

notslip0602286
04-19-2011, 07:49 PM
and again, you say i'm attempting to resell it, when i told you 3 times now, my main goal was to see the response it got on ebay....call it what you want, i don't really care. I'm sure you care more than I do, I know my intentions, for some reason you keep telling me basically that I am lieing about it. If you refuse to believe me, which it seems you are doing, then we should probably just agree to disagree, it isn't worth arguing about to me.

trsent
04-19-2011, 09:27 PM
and again, you say i'm attempting to resell it, when i told you 3 times now, my main goal was to see the response it got on ebay....call it what you want, i don't really care. I'm sure you care more than I do, I know my intentions, for some reason you keep telling me basically that I am lieing about it. If you refuse to believe me, which it seems you are doing, then we should probably just agree to disagree, it isn't worth arguing about to me.

Why did you post on here? I didn't get information for you quick enough so now you have a right to sell a counterfeit jersey on eBay? Your morals are wrong and you should be ashamed that you have something that you asked for help on, and because it didn't come quick enough for you, that gives you the right to sell a fraudulent item on eBay now?

Sorry I provided you free education about the item so you can now publicly advertise to sell it on eBay as a genuine game used item, even though two industry experts have notified you there are issues.

Make me to be the bad guy but at the end of the discussion but you are the one with a jersey that is counterfeit on eBay for sale and you can sugar coat it any way you wish but the facts are here for you and you ignore them.

Once again, if you asked for help with the jersey, when the answers finally came in, you choose to ignore them? Please explain this.

cliffjmp33
04-19-2011, 10:28 PM
and again, you say i'm attempting to resell it, when i told you 3 times now, my main goal was to see the response it got on ebay

I have only been following this and not commented yet, but your own quote above made me post. It makes no sense. Why would you go to eBay, a site that AUCTIONS/SELLS items, for feedback, when that is exactly what this forum is for?

eBay is an internet market place, not a discussion forum. eBay charges you to post items, so even when you don't sell it, it's still not "free". And what happens when someone, unsuspecting, bids? Do you tell them it's not really for sale, just posted for discussion?

This forum, while I am new to it and don't have much knowledge compared to some of the excellent members that have given valuable information, was set up to help the hobby. People took time to help YOU. You obviously don't have to take all their opinions, but it's hard to argue when several different people point on same issues. But you decided that these professionals in the hobby aren't as wise as eBay buyers?

I think everyone here has already made up their own minds on the situation. I hope to be wrong on my opinion, but it seems like the jersey is merely being flipped in order to make the most money with the provided information, again information people took time out of their schedule to help you for free, an afterthought and thusly a slap in the face to the hobby.

notslip0602286
04-20-2011, 05:07 AM
well, i think this conversation is pretty much done, again, think what you want. I have every right to post on ebay or do what I want with it. I'm not trying to piss people off, sorry it came across the wrong way.

short84
04-20-2011, 06:58 AM
I am sure you didn't get the "response" you wanted -- especially from the HONEST folks on this forum. Your actions speak louder than words.

nycpropain
04-20-2011, 08:21 AM
I just don't have the time to send it to mears and get it authenticated and all that, like I originally thought I did, which is why I am at this time seeing the response I get on ebay, seeing how much interest there is and what not, I really do not expect to sell it at this point, so we'll see.

I thought you couldnt get in touch with them. You stories change awful fast.

notslip0602286
04-20-2011, 01:11 PM
yes because now i am known by many to be a dishonest person, a liar!! My stories just keep changing so much! I couldnt get ahold of them, and don't have time to wait around. common people, its done

nycpropain
04-21-2011, 01:06 PM
yes because now i am known by many to be a dishonest person, a liar!! My stories just keep changing so much! I couldnt get ahold of them, and don't have time to wait around. common people, its done

No it only changed once, which is enough for me. I know if I purchased something with a money back guarantee and then was informed it was more than likely a fake and this why I got it at a discount I personally would return it for the full refund and get it out of my hands.

Not list it for the price of a legit one in order to get "opinions". Which when you where given here you ignored and let the auction run. Also in the future if you are listing a questionable jersey in order to get opinions you may want to mention this in the auction cause that was the intention of the auction right.

ivo610
04-21-2011, 05:21 PM
I think this is the first time I have ever heard of someone listing a jersey on Ebay with the intention of doing it to only get opinions. Does anyone else do this?

nycpropain
04-21-2011, 08:41 PM
I think this is the first time I have ever heard of someone listing a jersey on Ebay with the intention of doing it to only get opinions. Does anyone else do this?

And listed at the going rate of a legit one (after saying himself the coa looked cheap and he had his own concerns), which that information was given here. One would imagine you would list it for MORE than its worth then say in the listing "Any opinions would be helpful" if this was the case.

Not list if for several days as a "a true, authentic game used / game worn Dan Marino jersey from the 1996 NFL season!" with no mention of opinions.