PDA

View Full Version : Pine Tar question????

jon_8_us
08-23-2006, 06:57 PM
My question is about the pine tar on a 04 Louisville Manny Ramirez game used bat.As is probably known by now i own many Manny bats.The pine tar on the 04 is tan in color and all my others are clear(with dirt and such attached).I have provided pictures of the bat below.I have heard that there are other substances players use on their bats that substitute for pine tar.This bat is the prototypical game used Manny bat but the pine tar question has always drove me crazy!Any help would be much appreciated.Thanks
jon

GrndSlm
08-23-2006, 11:17 PM
Jon, this looks like a pine tar substitute called MOTO STICK. Its like a 6" round cylinder that the players use to apply a sticky clear substance to the bat. The substance usually picks up the color of the batting gloves. Most AROD bats have this substance on the handle. Check out some of Jeter's and Alex's black bats and they look like your Manny bat.

Juan Iglesias
GrndSlm@aol.com

gameused
08-24-2006, 04:20 AM
Jon,

Actually its called Mota Stick and it was developed by former major leaguer Manny Mota who played 20 seasons, most notably with the Dodgers.

The color of the Mota Stick is Reddish-Brown and is really sticky.

What I've seen Manny, Arod and Jeter do while on deck is rub the Mota stick directly on the bat, either on the handle or centerbrand area, then they take a pitchers rosin bag and apply the rosin to the Mota to cut down the Mota so it's not too sticky.

Mota mixed with Rosin usually gives the pine tar a grayish color which is probally the case in your bat. Juan is correct and it can pick up the color of the palm area of the players batting gloves.

Best Regards,

Bobby