PDA

View Full Version : when can NFL make tackles an official stat?

jake33
03-18-2011, 12:57 PM
I continue to be amazed that the NFL can not get an official scoring on "tackles." It is not the best measuring stick on excellence, but football is greatly flawed and misleading on it's statistics in general.

I just cannot figure out why football cannot come up with a stat that measure defensive greatness in footbll other than INTs and sacks.

Also same for O-lineman, pro bowls and starts make you great only, it seems like, pancake blocks are given out randomly to the point of 30 pancake blocks over 8 games means nothing to me...

harpt
03-18-2011, 03:32 PM
I am not sure what you mean. The NFL keeps "tackles" as a stat don't they? This guy or that guy "leads his team in tackles."

jake33
03-18-2011, 03:46 PM
The NFL does not recognize it as an official statistic.

You typically do not hear anyone leading the NFL in tackles, either...

legaleagle92481
03-20-2011, 12:04 AM
Tackles are like assists in basketball very subjective. During his career Stockton got his share of home court assists from the Jazz scorer, the same thing would happen in the nfl. alot of times multiple guys are involved in a take down and it is hard to determine who should get the tackle or share it. as for defensive greatness, sacks are misleading as are ints and i agree with you that they need something better. a good corner like revis rarely is challenged so he won't get ints, while another guy is challenged alot and by sheer numbers gets say 5 ints. or a guy doesnt get many sacks but plays the run very well and pressures the qb alot while another guy cant stop the run and all he can do is get a few sacks. probowls dont help because they are often based on stats and reputation even if guy is having a down year. The best way to measure it is on the field respect. is this guy someone coordinators lose sleep planning for? how often is he challenged? i.e. thrown at or run at. do they usually double or triple him if hes a lineman? Is he someone people worry about where he is at all times on the field? What kind of impact does his addition or subtraction have on his team? A good example is Juilius Peppers. Last year his counting stats were very good but far from eye popping and for him on the low side. But he was one of the most feared players in the game and led a major turnaround for his team from out of the playoffs to nearly the Super Bowl. Or again revis. When he is on the field even the best qbs will not throw at him and takes away virtually half the field.

jobathenut
03-20-2011, 01:00 AM
I know this is off topic a little.But talking about stats.And i just have to say the dumbest stat they keep in all sports is hockey.They keep stats on "hits".Seriously checking is a stat now.I dont remember back in the days of gretzky them counting them as they do now.I mean keeping a stat on checking in hockey is like keeping a stat on dribbling in basketball.Its just part of the game.Well alright bad example but i just think its a nonsense stat to keep.

cohibasmoker
03-20-2011, 05:12 AM
The NFL does not recognize it as an official statistic.

You typically do not hear anyone leading the NFL in tackles, either...

The NFL does NOT have to keep that stat - the players agents do.