PDA

View Full Version : Sammy Sosa game used bat ???

ballhawknet
03-15-2011, 06:25 AM
Ok . quiz time

What is wrong here ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sammy-Sosa-Rawlings-Big-Stick-Game-Used-Bat-/160554480195?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2561caf243

r_phelps
03-15-2011, 09:16 AM
Everything! Too short a bat, professional model is strange and was usually issued to minor leaguers or autograph intended bats(which i imagine this is what it is), and also the tape job is horrible. Looks like a dog got ahold of it after it was left in the rain. Not at all the Sammy tape wad at all. What's my score on quiz?

mlbforeverhomer
03-15-2011, 09:41 AM
The spacing of S A M M Y S O S A looks way off to me. Plus the crappy tape job......

shaunharr
03-15-2011, 12:48 PM
The font and spacing of his name is off.
The tape job just looks retarded.

And just a guess, but I don't know if the pro's bats say 'Proffesional Model'
I have had a few Rawlings with the player's name that just say 'PRO'

sox83cubs84
03-15-2011, 05:14 PM
The font and spacing of his name is off.
The tape job just looks retarded.

And just a guess, but I don't know if the pro's bats say 'Proffesional Model'
I have had a few Rawlings with the player's name that just say 'PRO'

I don't believe the "PRO" notation was used until 2002 or 2003. For several years before that, the team nickname was used.

I agree that the bat does look like a show or private signing bat intended for autographs.

The seller is not a crook, by any means, but neither is the seller anything resembling an expert. He may well not know he has been saddled with junk? Has anyone contacted him about the problems all of us have spotted?

Dave Miedema

ballhawknet
03-16-2011, 11:47 AM
I don't believe the "PRO" notation was used until 2002 or 2003. For several years before that, the team nickname was used.

I agree that the bat does look like a show or private signing bat intended for autographs.

The seller is not a crook, by any means, but neither is the seller anything resembling an expert. He may well not know he has been saddled with junk? Has anyone contacted him about the problems all of us have spotted?

Dave Miedema

Of course I did :)

He said it was " NOT a store model , maybe a practice bat , got it from equipment manager "

He ignored my issues with the style , length , type of tape , along with the tap job itself.

So imo , he is full of s#&t when he says he got it from equipment manager.

MSpecht
03-17-2011, 03:39 PM
Not commenting on this specific bat, but for clarification:

"In 1985 a new barrel label appeared with the words BIG STICK above the player's name and the words PROFESSIONAL MODEL below the player's name...This barrel label version can be found on some 1985 and all 1986 pro Adirondack/Rawlings bats."

---BATS. Page 83

NOTE: Although the center brand changed in 1987, the above barrel label remained through 1989. In 1990 the words PROFESSIONAL MODEL were replaced by the team name below the player's name.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com