PDA

View Full Version : Gregg Zaun's Retirement helped me get a photo match!

jake33
03-10-2011, 04:12 PM
As always, it is a great thrill getting a photomatch. Story goes as this....

As typical, I only collect Tampa Bay Rays and Buccaneers game used items. With that, I am usually pretty leary of game used hats. Since their are no identifiers any store bought one could be faked easily. So I am very skeptical of them, unless they come from mlb auctions with a hologram.

Anyways, right after the 2009 season i bought a game used Gregg Zaun hat, that is pounded with use. I never was able to nail downa great photo match, since if he did wear it under his catcher's helmet I probably wouldn't find a match. The oddest thing about the hat is that it has a sharp bend up towards the front of the bill. In over a year, i never found a good shot to match.

Zaun recently retired on MArch 7th. With his retirement a Montreal newspaper posted a photo of him (From a rays game vs. toronto). The photo never was out previously, just bumped into the retirement articale and a SUPERB match to the hat that I have. Not a bad buy for $15 from a guy who caught the hat as Zaun ran into the dugout after the last game of the year. Excellent game use on Zaun's hat, he only played a little over a month for the rays.

Will be looking to where he goes into broadcasting to get auto'd

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/4399306.bin?size=620x400