PDA

View Full Version : Do you worry about UV?

mad87man
03-10-2011, 01:18 AM
I made the post about how people display their stuff and got a ton of responses and pictures(loved looking at them all). Now i was wondering how many or who worries about UV light? How to do stop yours or block it from your collection? DO you have window film on your windows to block it? I recently got a Detolf shelf from Ikea and was thinking of maybe trying to cover that in UV film? Anyone know if that will work? I have some football helmets in there that have mud on them that i don't want to fade. So let me here your storeis/ideas on how to block UV.

xpress34
03-10-2011, 01:30 AM
My collection is all in the basement - only one window and it's covered with a dark blanket.

You can still get UV from the light bulbs you use. I recommend spending the money and buying LED Bulbs for any lights in the room - NO UV.

Hope this helps.

- Smitty

Shipp_96
03-10-2011, 09:19 AM
I made the post about how people display their stuff and got a ton of responses and pictures(loved looking at them all). Now i was wondering how many or who worries about UV light? How to do stop yours or block it from your collection? DO you have window film on your windows to block it? I recently got a Detolf shelf from Ikea and was thinking of maybe trying to cover that in UV film? Anyone know if that will work? I have some football helmets in there that have mud on them that i don't want to fade. So let me here your storeis/ideas on how to block UV.

As an autograph hound, I DO worry about UV all the time. I buy cases that are UV coated, even though they cost more. The cheaper cases I buy I throw game worn, unsigned items in, since there is no fear of a fading auto; but still no direct light.

In our old place I would put my signed helmets directly besides the wall on both sides of the window, so NO sunlight would hit them, and never opened the blind. I also installed a lightbulb in the walk in closet, but not in the main room so that no artificial light would even get them directly.

Now, until we move, my items are in a closet that has a cheap blind, and it is killing me! I have actually started to turn my autographs around so the blank side of the items are facing out, and the autos are now facing the wall. Thankfully, we will be moving in a month or so, and that situation will be resolved.

I can proudly say my methods have worked, because I had a Raiders helmet for a decade that was team signed, and never saw any fading of the sharpie autos. Ditto for my signed 8X10s.