PDA

View Full Version : 1986 Throwback Mets Jerseys

indyred
08-22-2006, 03:07 PM
I saw that they had a big celebration for 86 Mets team this past weekend. They also wore throwbacks from that year in both Saturday and Sunday games. So where do these jerseys end up. MLB.com autions or Steiner. I was thinking they may have made 2 sets, one for each game. Will be interesting where these pop up, if they even do.....

GrndSlm
08-22-2006, 03:43 PM
Bob at Steiner has all the 86 Retro jerseys for sale. I received an email from him before the weekend series. I purchased the complete Retro jersey from Orlando Hernandez's win on Sunday. I should be receiving the uniform by the end of the week. Call him because I am sure he has some left.

Thanks,
Juan Iglesias
GrndSlm@aol.com

TNTtoys
08-23-2006, 12:55 PM
Hi there

Are you able to provide a phone number where I can contact Bob? I am also interested in the turn back the clock to 1986 jerseys.

Many thanks,
Nick
TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Swoboda4
08-23-2006, 03:23 PM
"CALL BOB AT STEINER".Listen-How about for once a Steiner GameUsedForum member telling the membership here about a Steiner G/U jersey sale before a unsuspecting memeber asks a question about a jersey that catches his/her attention and then ten members brag about how their jersey is already on their way to their house?

Swoboda4
08-23-2006, 03:48 PM
I'm a little pissed off as you can see. I just went on the Steiner web site:
http://www.steinersports.com/ssm/control/gameused;jsessionid=9696A06118F10C2C7B05F483937425 4A.ssm2
and there's nothing of any worth(for" Mets game used "let alone '86 TBC jerseys) but only a game used mets/yanks base from 7-1-06 for $750.00. If any member sees a good sale from Steiner(or"BOB"!) would it be a big deal if they tell the membership or does "BOB" tell people to keep it quiet?

GrndSlm
08-23-2006, 04:14 PM
Swoboda, I didnt appreciate the bragging comment. I was answering a question and trying to be helpful to a fellow member. Also, why dont you take the initiative and log on to Steiners email list. There you will get the butt load of emails that I do and see if you inform EVERYONE on EVERYTHING that comes in. Plus, I got a call from Bob on Friday and the post was either on Monday or Tuesday.

Juan Iglesias
GrndSlm@aol.com

Swoboda4
08-23-2006, 04:30 PM
Juan-to be fair-I don't often log in to Steiners web site. So please accept my apologies if it's public knowledge.I APOLOGIZE. I'm referring more to membership at large. We all alert each other to G/U situations and it seems(I could be wrong) that when Steiner has a special sale it isn't brought to our attention untill well after the sale is more than underway.

indyred
08-23-2006, 04:47 PM
I didn't know about Steiner email list either. I just went and signed up. Thanks for the tip.......From past emails from them are they also getting the NY Cubans Negro jerseys they just used against the Nat (who used Grays jerseys).....those looked pretty cool......

BCowan40
08-23-2006, 05:09 PM
Hello to everyone. My name is Brooks Cowan and I am an account executive for Steiner Sports, particularly in the Mets/Steiner collectibles division. I'm new to this forum but had to chime in right away on this post. Yes we at Steiner Sports do have the 1986 throwback jerseys that the Mets wore this weekend. We also have the jerseys that the returning 86 Mets wore for the on field ceremony. I assure you that this is not a top secret sale and they are available to everyone interested. Sorry if you were not aware. These jerseys are going very fast but there are still some great ones available such as David Wright, Jose Reyes and Billy Wagner as well as some lower priced ones like Royce Ring, Mike Defelice and Darren Oliver.

If there is anyone on this forum who would like to be kept in the loop on everything going on with Mets/Steiner and Yankees/Steiner please feel free to e-mail me at bcowan@steinersports.com. I'd be more then happy to put you on my personal e-mail list so you are notified of all future new items and specials. Also I'm always available to answer any questions you may have pertaining to Steiner Sports and our multiple partnerships and incredible products. If there's anything I can do to help please let me know.

BCowan40
08-23-2006, 05:13 PM
Also I must note that the Mets/Steiner partnership is brand new, it was just officially launched two weeks ago. Our website is updated daily and you will begin to see more and more of the Mets game used items appearing soon.

GameBats
08-23-2006, 06:00 PM
Hi Brooks,

I see you made no mention of Bob Malandro within your post. Is he no longer with Yankee-Mets/Steiner? I along with quite a few others on this board are/were customers of Bobs. It was my uderstanding he was the only dedicated Yankee-Mets/Steiner salesman. Bob always had up to the minute info and made all my purchases pleasurable. I was actually beginning to enjoy the sports memorabilia hobby again. I hope we didn't lose another one of the GOOD GUYS!

Swoboda4
08-23-2006, 07:54 PM
Bruce,thank you. My remarks were not meant for any one,in particular. When I hear of any specials offered by Steiner I will,as our motto states,"Share the Knowledge." Apologies again.

momen55
08-23-2006, 08:22 PM
how much are they being sold for? would a jose valentin jersey be available?

ham1963
08-23-2006, 08:42 PM
I guess that I am a new Steiner customer I just bought a Tucker Mets 86 TBC jersey. What I did is that I went to Steiner's website and found a phone number for customer service and called and ordered a jersey. Thanks guys for the heads up.:D
John

metsbats
08-23-2006, 09:09 PM
Hi Brooks,

I see you made no mention of Bob Malandro within your post. Is he no longer with Yankee-Mets/Steiner? I along with quite a few others on this board are/were customers of Bobs. It was my uderstanding he was the only dedicated Yankee-Mets/Steiner salesman. Bob always had up to the minute info and made all my purchases pleasurable. I was actually beginning to enjoy the sports memorabilia hobby again. I hope we didn't lose another one of the GOOD GUYS!

Bob Malandro is still very much at Steiner as I corresponded with him regarding the 86 Retro GU and Ceremony worn jerseys today. As per Juan's advise I just emailed Bob and was able to get all the information I needed. Most of the common players are sold as was the Beltran, Dave Williams (starting pitcher for the 8/19 game). Wright, Reyes, Glavine, Wagner jerseys were still available from the information i got last. You can guy a jersey, Pants, or cap or whole package.

As far as the Returning players 86 Retro that were worn on the field many are available except Carter, Hernandez, and Strawberry. There were 2 set made for each player (1 for Ceremony use and one for the player to take home). After the ceremony each player was asked to take off their retro jersey and a 2nd unused jersey was waiting for them when they arrived at the suites to watch the game. (I verified this info with Ed Hearn today). So the Retro ceremony jerseys are the real deal!

Do contact Bob or Brooks as the Mets Steiner reps are very accomodating and a pleasure to deal with.

Hope this helps.

David

BCowan40
08-23-2006, 10:43 PM
Bob is absolutely still with Steiner Sports. His main focus is on the Yankees/Steiner and Mets/Steiner game used items and any of you who have been working with him should continue to do so. Bob is one of the absolute best we have at Steiner and I am glad to see so many of you have had positive dealings with him. I just wanted to offer my information for any members of this forum who don't already have personal contacts at Steiner and who felt they weren't getting the up to date information on new items and specials, as I had been reading some posts from members who felt there were secret things happening at Steiner and on this forum. My posts are not meant in anyway to make someone chose me over Bob, we are both part of a team at Steiner and are both always available to help in anyway we can. Glad to see so much discussion on this forum, I'm enjoying the site.

GrndSlm
08-23-2006, 11:06 PM
I am glad that Steiner answered all of the Forums questions. After I read the post's, I contact Bob and let him know that the Forum would enjoy the same information given to current game used customers. Swoboda is correct about sharing information because this is our passion. I also apologize for my last post but I sincerely didnt want anyone referring to me "bragging". We are all here to help eachother enjoy this wonderful hobby.

Juan Iglesias
GrndSlm@aol.com

GrndSlm
08-24-2006, 01:24 PM
I just received this information from Steiner......I hope this helps the members........
In addition to the players previously mentioned (2006 Roster players & returning Mets), we just received the following:

Coaches (game used)—ALL $250:
* Nieto* Down* Peterson* Manuel* Acta* Alomar
Randolph (game used), $750

Non Roster Players (game issued)—ALL $195
* Soler * Bannister * Pelfrey * Nady * Lima

ALSO…. Marrero, $350

Thanks,
Juan Iglesias
GrndSlm@aol.com

dcrules01
08-24-2006, 07:12 PM
I purchased the Darren Oliver tbc 86 Mets game worn jersey...Im guessing the pants and hat are seperate from the $350 for the jersey.Am I thinking right???

metsbats
08-24-2006, 09:02 PM
I purchased the Darren Oliver tbc 86 Mets game worn jersey...Im guessing the pants and hat are seperate from the $350 for the jersey.Am I thinking right???

Yes you are correct. The jersey , caps, pants are being sold separately.

If you purchase the full uniform there is a discount though.

David

dcrules01
08-25-2006, 03:05 AM
Any idea what the pants and caps for Oliver run cost wise?? Ill have to give them a call

TNTtoys
08-25-2006, 11:27 AM
All,

Just spoke to Rob at Steiner, and the Bannister and Nady game issued jerseys are already gone. I wish I would have known about them before now!!! Looks like some of the guys at Steiner have a list of only the game worns by the players (past / present) that does not include the game issued non-roster players. Other guys there have the complete list.

Nick

TNTtoys
08-25-2006, 11:30 AM
Another tidbit of info so that you're not kicking yourself knowing that the Bannister jersey went for $195 -- there was only 1 Bannister jersey, not 2, and that jersey sold in a silent auction. It was never available for the price of the other non-roster jerseys. I felt a little bit better knowing that!!

suave1477
08-25-2006, 11:30 AM
The Bannister Jersey is being auctioned off at todays game at shea.

metsbats
08-25-2006, 12:25 PM
Another tidbit of info so that you're not kicking yourself knowing that the Bannister jersey went for $195 -- there was only 1 Bannister jersey, not 2, and that jersey sold in a silent auction. It was never available for the price of the other non-roster jerseys. I felt a little bit better knowing that!!

Was Bannister in the dugout during the 2 games there Retros were worn?
I know he was back for Tuesdays game. Steiner was selling the Bannister as game issued and not used.

-David

suave1477
08-25-2006, 12:30 PM
I would doubt he was in the dug out bcuz then it would have been considered Game Used. Since its being listed as Game Issued tells me he wasnt present to wear the Jersey.

metsbats
08-25-2006, 12:30 PM
Ok given all the hoopla with these throwbacks I just have to ask forum members "Who Got What?"

We know Juan got Orlando Hernandez's full uni, dcrules got Tuckers jersey. I didn't want to spend that much so I settled for batting coach Rick Down's jersey.

Anyone else able to pick up anything???

-David

TNTtoys
08-25-2006, 02:00 PM
David,

I got Woodward's jersey -- wanted a lesser value jersey, but was think I am fairly lucky to get a game worn -- Woodward started at 2B both Saturday and Sunday due to the injury to Valentin (too bad he went a combined 0 for 7 though).

Nick

Kid4hof03
08-25-2006, 02:08 PM
I was out of town and just read this thread, it's too bad I missed it. Did anyone here get the Julio Franco uniform?

David, did you get the Carter or was it already gone?
Abe

metsbats
08-25-2006, 02:31 PM
I was out of town and just read this thread, it's too bad I missed it. Did anyone here get the Julio Franco uniform?

David, did you get the Carter or was it already gone?
Abe

Kid kept his 86 retro jersey he wore on the field (as did Mex and Straw). Steiner report they will auction off his "second unworn retro" at a low price. (at Mex and Straw's unused retro)

Julio Franco's retro asking price is $750.

-David

Kid4hof03
08-25-2006, 04:11 PM
David,
Thanks for the information. I let temptation get the best of me, I bought the Franco.

Abe

ham1963
08-25-2006, 04:40 PM
I got a M. Tucker TBC:D

dodgersfan
08-25-2006, 04:43 PM
I bought the Soler and Lima jerseys both size 50 for $195.00 each,I love the retro look.

Rudy

metsbats
08-25-2006, 04:44 PM
David,
Thanks for the information. I let temptation get the best of me, I bought the Franco.

Abe

Wow! You're a better man than me. It was too rich for my blood.

Enjoy it.

-David

Kid4hof03
08-25-2006, 04:47 PM
David,
Yeah, you are probably right. I have wanted something really nice from Franco's career, haven't bought much of anything lately and sold quite a bit of stuff over the past few months, add it all up and I just had to pull the trigger I guess.

I'm looking forward to it

Abe

metsbats
08-25-2006, 04:57 PM
Nice to see alot of Forum members were able to pick up some nice pieces. With the exception of Abe and Juan most of us were able to pick up the 'PO Boy' specials:D

It would be nice to see where the high end pieces went like the 1,000+ jerseys (Beltran for instance). David Wright's was priced at 7500 and Jose Reyes at 3000.

I'd really love to see if anyone is picking up the returning players 86 Retro jerseys? (for example Mookie's was 1250, Darling, Dykstra, Tuefel, Backman for example were 1,000, common players like my buddy Ed Hearn were going for $400)

Personally having picked up in my collection real 86 gamers and never having to spend more than $700 for each 20 year old game used jersey, I couldn't convince myself to buy a Retro jersey that was worn for 1 night during a 1 hour ceremony for more.

Believe me I tried hard NOT to given in!

-David

metsbats
08-25-2006, 05:47 PM
www.mets.com (http://www.mets.com)

Pieces from the 86 reunion are trickling onto the mets auction site now.

Note: the starting bid for the Backman is at 200 a far cry from the asking price of $1000.

-David

dcrules01
08-25-2006, 05:50 PM
I got Darren Olivers..He didnt pitch in either game but he was on the active roster...Im happy with him..It cost me $350 but its my first game worn so im pretty excited..I have to call them to see if I can get the pants and maybe even the hat....I was also gonna inquire about the lineup card for Sundays game..I was there couldnt make Saturdays though because of a wedding.....Someone else got Tucker thats a nice one to have ...When I called the other day they had Oliver and Trachsel $350 and $500....

dcrules01
08-25-2006, 05:53 PM
I just bid on the Backman Him and Dykstra were my favorites growing up :) .Anybody see the Dykstra???

dcrules01
08-25-2006, 05:56 PM
Metsbats id like to see pics of your 86 collection.That must be sweet...

TNTtoys
09-18-2006, 01:02 PM
For those of you who haven't gotten yours yet...
Another one is up for auction...

http://mets.auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=74206670&prmenbr=33339254&aunbr=74553380

Sandy Alomar Sr.
Starting bid is $250 with no takers yet.