PDA

View Full Version : Minor League Bats

Zeenuts
03-03-2011, 11:12 AM
This may sound naive, but I am curious. I realize that when a player makes it to the major leagues he will have bats made to his specifications. However, when a player is in the minor leagues, especially in the low classifications, does he also have bats made to his specifications or does he tend to use whatever is available of pre-existing major league models that he is comfortable with? If it is the latter, how does the player obtain the major league model bats? To what extent do minor league clubs provide more generic bats for the players? Was the practice of supplying minor league bats in the 1970's differ from the way players/clubs deal with player bats today?

Any insights which you can provide would be greatly appreciated. If you prefer responding directly to me rather than doing a site posting, I can be reached at zeenuts@hawaii.rr.com. Thank you.

coxfan
03-03-2011, 02:17 PM
In the early late 80's and 90's I bought three minor-league game-used bats from the Mets' low-A team. All were generic, though one had a "New York Mets" stamp; since that bat also had a high jersey number marked on its knob, I think it was used in spring training and sent on to the minor-league club. They all had the player's number on the knob, but the other two had no team marking.

I also have one AAA game-used bat, bought around 2006 from the White Sox affiliate. It's also generic. without even a team marking or player number, though the team store certified it as game-used. I don't know how the bats were selected for the players.

Zeenuts
03-03-2011, 08:11 PM
Thank you for the information. I tends to confirm what I was thinking, but I thought I would ask in order to get a better idea of the minor league practices.

Klattsy
03-03-2011, 08:29 PM
I have two bats from players that never made it above AAA. They are both personalised. From what I found out when I was researching them, a lot of MLB players bats can get reused in the minors, and when players change teams bats can get left behind. I have also seen recent auctions for "generic" team bats (someone on here has a couple for sale).

My main concern wasn't weather the bats where faked, it was who actually used it with all the swapping around. Luckily I have had both players say they never lent bats out.

Mark.

shaunharr
03-03-2011, 08:40 PM
Many, if not all, minor league teams supply various brands of stock bats, whether is be Louisville Slugger or Rawlings. I know my home team (Round Rock Express) has a very large stock of Louisville Slugger Geniuine C243 and C271 Pro Stock bats. They also have a couple different makes of Rawling stock bats.

As for minor leaguers with bats made just for them, many are sponsored by companies and get them for free, many get them paid for by the team, and the others just straight up pay for them.

Some minor leaguers also use friends' bats, who may have been called up, etc.

Bravesfan
03-03-2011, 10:35 PM
I love minor league bats :)
This is my 2008 Freddie Freeman and my 2006 Billy Butler.

sox83cubs84
03-03-2011, 11:58 PM
A contact with the Winston-Salem Warthogs (High A White Sox, now called the Dash) once mentioned to me that current Astros and former Chisox OF Carlos Lee gave his bats to his brother, also named Carlos Lee, for use at Winston-Salem.

Dave Miedema

Sabresfreak
03-05-2011, 12:52 PM
I was at the Buffalo Bisons (AAA for Mets) open house and they had this posted in the clubhouse.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c73/sabrefreak99/batpolicy-1.jpg