PDA

View Full Version : 1983 Mike Schmidt bat on E-bay

2000mvpfan
08-22-2006, 01:06 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Schmidt-Game-Used-Phillies-Autographed-Bat_W0QQitemZ330019260993QQihZ014QQcategoryZ60596Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

......What do you guys think?Is all of this right for a Schmidt gamer?Howard & Reid,I'm counting on you guys....

thanks,
Joe

JimCaravello
08-22-2006, 05:53 AM
Hi Joe - the Schmidt bat appears to be a very nice example of a 1983 Schmidt Game Used Bat. It's hard to tell how much use the bat has by looking at the pics, but the markings on the centerbrand and barrel are correct. Schmidt had a contract with Adirondack and not Lousiville Slugger, and thus his signature is branded into the barrel on Adirondack models. MS20 is a valid Schmidt Adirondack model number for the era, and there is a proper batch code and the number "3" indicating the bat is from 1983 ( centerbrand also denotes 1983 era label ). The Flame Treated finish also matches up perfectly for Schmidt bats of that era. Schmidt's uniform #20 is penned on the knob. Also - the length of the bat matches other Schmidt bats from that era and the red ring is correct for Schmidt bats. I am certainly not an autograph expert, but the signature appears to be a valid Schmidt signature.

I would contact the seller to learn more about the use - but outside of that, she appears to be very nice. Good luck and let me know if I can answer any other questions. Jim - jcaravello@nc.rr.com

sportscentury
08-22-2006, 08:47 AM
Well, Joe, I now find myself in a similar situation as Jim Caravello was in with respect to the Boggs All Star bat, as I'm the high bidder on this Schmidty. I know the seller - he is a member of this forum and a good guy. The bat looks good to me, but I'm unsure of the use, as Jim C. has already noted.

Bottom line is: I like the bat. I'm confident it is a real Schmidt bat with a real auto. It probably would help the seller (and us bidders) if more photos of the game use were displayed.

Good luck if you decide to bid.

Reid

2000mvpfan
08-22-2006, 10:13 AM
...Thanks guys..very much appreciated!

Joe