PDA

View Full Version : Abdul Jabbar the best (Buck) ever?

harpt
02-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Rightfully so, Laker fans claim Kareem. I would never dispute this. His short career with Milwaukee though is far more impressive than many remember. I wonder how many other players could have this impressive a reume with a team that almost nobody with asscoiate them with.

In his 6 years with the Bucks, Alcindor/Jabbar won the rookie of the year, was MVP of the league 3 times, was an all-star all 6 years, won the franchise's only world championship, and was MVP of the finals. If he would have retired after 6 years (in my opinion), he'd have been a hall of famer and by far the greatest Buck of all-time.

I know Jordan, Magic, Bird and others are great, but I think Kareem was the best ever (I know...whole other topic).

otismalibu
02-28-2011, 06:14 PM
I think you're confused.
That's Roger Murdock.

BostonSportsFan
02-28-2011, 06:29 PM
Rightfully so, Laker fans claim Kareem. I would never dispute this. His short career with Milwaukee though is far more impressive than many remember. I wonder how many other players could have this impressive a reume with a team that almost nobody with asscoiate them with.

In his 6 years with the Bucks, Alcindor/Jabbar won the rookie of the year, was MVP of the league 3 times, was an all-star all 6 years, won the franchise's only world championship, and was MVP of the finals. If he would have retired after 6 years (in my opinion), he'd have been a hall of famer and by far the greatest Buck of all-time.

I know Jordan, Magic, Bird and others are great, but I think Kareem was the best ever (I know...whole other topic).

Great points, the one player to ever play the game bar none that had a completely indefensible shot. Nobody could ever stop the sky hook. IMO, Kareem is often forgotten when listing the top 5 players to ever play the game despite 6 championships, 6 time MVP, 19x all star and the list goes on and on. It is possible his scoring record may never be broken. Kobe Bryant while only 32 is 11,000 points away from Kareem and would need another 5 1/2 seasons at his current pace to catch Kareem which is highly unlikely for a 2 guard. Just an incredible player that stayed productive until the end of a very long career.

Joe

gingi79
03-01-2011, 03:13 PM
I think you're confused.
That's Roger Murdock.

"The Hell I don't! Listen kid, I've been hearing that crap since I was at UCLA. I'm out there busting my buns, every night. Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes."

both-teams-played-hard
03-01-2011, 03:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj5F0vT_dWo

jordanhigh69
03-03-2011, 05:40 AM
"Roger, Roger!"

legaleagle92481
03-08-2011, 10:51 AM
Great points, the one player to ever play the game bar none that had a completely indefensible shot. Nobody could ever stop the sky hook. IMO, Kareem is often forgotten when listing the top 5 players to ever play the game despite 6 championships, 6 time MVP, 19x all star and the list goes on and on. It is possible his scoring record may never be broken. Kobe Bryant while only 32 is 11,000 points away from Kareem and would need another 5 1/2 seasons at his current pace to catch Kareem which is highly unlikely for a 2 guard. Just an incredible player that stayed productive until the end of a very long career.

Joe

Lebron or Durant will break it. Even playing with Wade Lebron's putting up 26 plus a game and hes what 25, 26. I think hes got over 12k points already. Durant is like 22, 23 averaging 28 a game. Kobe probably won't play long enough especially if he gets ring numbers six and seven within next couple of years. He may be 32 but hes been playing since he was what 18 so hes got alot of wear and tear.

BostonSportsFan
03-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Lebron or Durant will break it. Even playing with Wade Lebron's putting up 26 plus a game and hes what 25, 26. I think hes got over 12k points already. Durant is like 22, 23 averaging 28 a game. Kobe probably won't play long enough especially if he gets ring numbers six and seven within next couple of years. He may be 32 but hes been playing since he was what 18 so hes got alot of wear and tear.

LeBron is 26 will be 27 in December next year. He has I think like 14000 or something like that. I would not be too sure about that. For anyone to break this record they are going to have to stay healthy and play at a high level for a long time. LeBron will have to evolve at some point not saying he won't but as Kobe has aged, he had adapted his game and added new components such as the time he spent with Hakeem two summers ago refining his post game. LeBron for his size has little to no post game and as he enters his early to mid 30's and loses that locomotive speed where he steamrolls people will have to adapt his game.

It will take someone just playing until their mid to late 30's averaging a lot of points. We will see but I am not too sure this record will fall anytime soon. I think the other question for players like Kobe, LeBron, how long do they want to play and how satisfied would either be not being the top banana. Once Kobe plays say two or three more seasons and can no longer one would assume average 25 plus a game, will he be satisfied or will he fade into the sunset at that point. There is just something to be said for guys like them especially Kobe that is wired to be the man and may not accept anything less than that end.

Joe