PDA

View Full Version : Who are your top current first ballot hall of famers playing today?

rangersfan1214
02-20-2011, 04:33 PM
Who are the people playing right now that you think are a 100% first ballot hall of famer?

Mark17
02-20-2011, 05:00 PM
Derek Jeter could retire tomorrow and he's a first-ballot HOFer in every respect: on the field (offense, defense, brains) and off the field as well.

schubert1970
02-20-2011, 05:20 PM
Buster Posey

CampWest
02-20-2011, 05:25 PM
Not so sure anymore... I thought Bagwell was first ballot and he didnt pull anywhere close.

That said a couple no-brainers in my book - Jeter, Pujols, Mariano Rivera, Thome, Vlad, Chipper, Ichiro.

Still some work to do / years to accumulate but well on track, Joe Mauer, Adam Dunn, Miguel Cabrera.

I'd say Manny Ramirez, Ivan Rodriguez and Alex Rodriguez, but no telling how the steroid issue will be impacting voting when he becomes eligible... Thats a real wild card, none of us thought McGwire would have an issue with a year or two left in his career.

3arod13
02-20-2011, 05:56 PM
Not so sure anymore... I thought Bagwell was first ballot and he didnt pull anywhere close.

That said a couple no-brainers in my book - Jeter, Pujols, Mariano Rivera, Thome, Vlad, Chipper, Ichiro.

Still some work to do / years to accumulate but well on track, Joe Mauer, Adam Dunn, Miguel Cabrera.

I'd say Manny Ramirez, Ivan Rodriguez and Alex Rodriguez, but no telling how the steroid issue will be impacting voting when he becomes eligible... Thats a real wild card, none of us thought McGwire would have an issue with a year or two left in his career.

The more years that go by, it won't be as important as now. I'm still pissed that a select few who got caught or admitted to it, are being held accountale, and the others on the list of 102 (an many others not on the list) may never be known.

sox83cubs84
02-20-2011, 11:36 PM
Jeter, Pujols, Thome, Mo Rivera, Cliff Lee, Halladay, assuming none of the above are found guilty of steroid use (and I don't believe that any of them will).

Dave Miedema

bronx_burner
02-21-2011, 12:12 AM
Well if I look at it as who I would bet my own money on as first ballot players still playing today I would only put my money on Jeter, Rivera, Pujols and Ichiro.

I think Chipper has a good chance but I wouldn't bet on him as first ballot.

Thome and Guerrero are two players I believe are going to take a hit early on, just for being power hitters in the steroid era. They haven't tested positive or come up in any reports that I know of but I think its just the trend of how the voting has been as of late. I think they will be similar to Bagwell in that respect. Bagwell likely gets in first ballot if there weren't voters who suspected him but he's never been proven to have used.

The players linked to PEDs like ARod, Manny etc. I think do not have much of a chance at first ballot.

There are lots of younger hitters who could get there but aren't there as of today.

I don't think any other pitchers have the credentials yet. Halladay & Sabathia seem to have the best shots if they continue to perform. Santana could have been up there but it seems hes got an uphill climb just to be a healthy player ever again. Cliff Lee, while at the top of his game right now, is 32 with only 102 wins and a 3.85 ERA so I don't think he has a prayer.

Manram
02-21-2011, 01:03 AM
Well if I look at it as who I would bet my own money on as first ballot players still playing today I would only put my money on Jeter, Rivera, Pujols and Ichiro.

I think Chipper has a good chance but I wouldn't bet on him as first ballot.

Thome and Guerrero are two players I believe are going to take a hit early on, just for being power hitters in the steroid era. They haven't tested positive or come up in any reports that I know of but I think its just the trend of how the voting has been as of late. I think they will be similar to Bagwell in that respect. Bagwell likely gets in first ballot if there weren't voters who suspected him but he's never been proven to have used.

The players linked to PEDs like ARod, Manny etc. I think do not have much of a chance at first ballot.

There are lots of younger hitters who could get there but aren't there as of today.

I don't think any other pitchers have the credentials yet. Halladay & Sabathia seem to have the best shots if they continue to perform. Santana could have been up there but it seems hes got an uphill climb just to be a healthy player ever again. Cliff Lee, while at the top of his game right now, is 32 with only 102 wins and a 3.85 ERA so I don't think he has a prayer.

very well put. But im not sure that vlad and thome will have a hard time being first ballot hof'ers because they were power hitters during this era. I don't see how if they had absolutely no link to PED's how they could hold that aginst them

sox83cubs84
02-21-2011, 02:56 PM
Jeter, Pujols, Thome, Mo Rivera, Cliff Lee, Halladay, assuming none of the above are found guilty of steroid use (and I don't believe that any of them will).

Dave Miedema

A subsequent post mentioned Ichiro...brain fart by me for not mentioning him in my initial post.:o :o

Dave Miedema

legaleagle92481
02-21-2011, 04:44 PM
IMO the only locks right now are Jeter and Pujols. Mariano is deserving but a closer has NEVER made it on the first ballot. Eck did but he started for awhile. Guerrero and Jones won't have 500 plus homers or 3,000 hits. Vlad will take hits for being a nomad and for his poor post season play as well. And Jones will be hit for having so many injures and mediocre defense. Can you say that Jones is superior to Bagwell? Or the Vlad is superior to Juan Gonzalez? Neither one of those guys is in the Hall and neither has tested positive or admitted to steroid use. Nor is there a smoking gun in either case. Canseco said Gonzalez used big deal he also said Clemens didnt. For that matter was Jones really better than the late, great Ron Santo? If Santo had Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz and three divisional play he would have been to postseason alot also. as far as Ichiro, he will make it but is he really first ballot? Many view him as a singles hitter on lousy teams who will fall short of 3,000 hits. His high batting average means zip because guys like Todd Helton and Larry Walker have that and noone is putting those guys in. Also Bill Madlock won alot of batting titles and never made it. as for the starters. Santana has not been an ace in years and is always hurt and Saberhagen also won two CYs before going to Mets and not getting close to the Hall. He needs some big years fast. Sabathia will get in first ballot if he hits 300 wins if not he will have to wait as he has nice win totals but is he really league's best pitcher/ or even top three? Halladay with one more Cy Young, a ring and 225 plus career wins will be first ballot, otherwise he wont be. Linecum looks like he will be if he has seven more years like his last three. None of the guys linked to Roids or PEDS with smoking gun or credible evidence will get in 1st ballot such as Sosa, Clemens, Bonds, Pudge, Arod, Manny, Petitite. will they get in later? who knows. Cliff Lee won't have enough big years or wins. remember all those postseason heroics he still is ringless and was in the minors four or five years ago. Thome if he hits 600 will be first ballot if not probably not because he was not dominate enough many view him as a one dimensonal guy. Adam Dunn, prince Fielder and Ryan Howard won't for same reason as Thome unless they too top 600 homers. Hanley Ramirez, Evan Longoria, Miguel Cabrea, David Wright, Ryan Braun and Joe Mauer all are on right track but have a long way to go. Felix Hernandez has a shot if he gets to a better team and starts racking up the wins.

rangersfan1214
02-23-2011, 12:51 AM
I don't want to start a completely new thread so I'm just going to post it on here. Who do you guys think are the leagues top fan favorite players?

nationals2k9
02-23-2011, 12:45 PM
I personally have a huge problem with Pujols being ignored as a potential PED user. I really don't know why either. It's not because I root for Manny. It's not because I loved watching Sosa and McGwire slug it out. Just something about him irks me and I continue to believe his name will surface one day... but as others have said, it may well be after rumored or actual PED use is a deciding factor for first ballot, or any HOF vote. I'm in the group that thinks as the writers continue to grow older and the fans continue to recognize it was an era and not just a select few, we'll eventually go back to stuff like stats, championships, etc.

That said, I'll go Jeter, A-Rod, Rivera, Ichiro, Manny, Pujols (yuck). The only guy IMO that potentially still needs to do something is Rivera grabbing the all-time saves record. I'm not going to get into guys in the right track since probably none of them would get in if they never played another game.

Most popular with fans = Pujols, Jeter, Pedroia, Posey, Tulo, Markakis, Longoria, Mauer, Utley, Rollins, Wright, Ethier, Votto, Lincecum......... list probably goes on :confused:

bronx_burner
02-23-2011, 04:50 PM
IMO the only locks right now are Jeter and Pujols. Mariano is deserving but a closer has NEVER made it on the first ballot.

There hasn't been anyone in the same role at the same level of Rivera before. I would be shocked if he was not first ballot, in fact I'd be surprised if he wasn't up around 90%.

as far as Ichiro, he will make it but is he really first ballot? Many view him as a singles hitter on lousy teams who will fall short of 3,000 hits.

I couldn't disagree with this one more. I think Ichiro is first ballot if he retired today. 10 years in the league. 10 time all star. 10 time gold glove winner. 10 straight years of 200 hits. Average over 100 runs scored a year over the 10 years. All time single season hit record. Rookie of the year. AL MVP winner. That said, I also disagree that he will fall short of 3000. I think hes practically a lock. He has 2 years left on his contract after which he will be at around 2700 hits. He will turn 39 after the contract ends. I think its pretty reasonable to think he can put up 300 total hits over his age 39 and 40 seasons combined given what hes done up till now. Either way, hes a first ballot player.

bronx_burner
02-23-2011, 05:07 PM
I personally have a huge problem with Pujols being ignored as a potential PED user. I really don't know why either. It's not because I root for Manny. It's not because I loved watching Sosa and McGwire slug it out. Just something about him irks me and I continue to believe his name will surface one day... but as others have said, it may well be after rumored or actual PED use is a deciding factor for first ballot, or any HOF vote. I'm in the group that thinks as the writers continue to grow older and the fans continue to recognize it was an era and not just a select few, we'll eventually go back to stuff like stats, championships, etc.

Fair points. There will always be doubts about Pujols simply because of the unbelievable numbers he has put up since day 1. But there seems to be a huge difference (at least as of now) between the guys who are suspicious and the guys who have been caught. Simply look at Palmeiro (11%) and Bagwell (41%). I think its probably a pipe dream that the progression of voters treatment of this issue will allow someone like Manny to be a first ballot guy (figuring he will be on the ballot in about 7 years or so). ARod probably has at least 5 extra years on top of that and things could change but I doubt it will be enough to allow him in first ballot. Thats my opinion anyway though I've seen it shared by even voters who plan on voting for these guys (Buster Olney, Tim Kurkjian, Jayson Stark). Again I'm talking in the eyes of a betting man, not based on my personal player likes or dislikes.

jake33
02-23-2011, 05:11 PM
Ichiro will get 1st ballot if he can get to 3,000, He needs about 180 hits over the next 4 years to do it. He will be 40 years old then. The way he plays he will always be able to get a lot of singles to pile up to it. Plus, he is an icon on many levels. And I do not even like him, but he would have to be first ballot HOF'er if he gets to 3,000 He is already a 10 time all star, which really is a tough feat.

Also, I think it will be EXTREMELY hard to Josh Hamilton to get in the HOF. He turns 30 in may and might not even have 100 career home runs by that point. Him screwing up his early years really will hurt his longevity statistically speaking. It probably cost him 3 years of everyday playing which would have been 500-575 hits, 60-80 Homeruns. Josh might only have 4-5 years left of being great and he has already had a couple minor injuries.
I am suprised how much people pay for his game used, where he could easily just fade into time if he isn't a hall of famer, Could be like a Fred McGriff, even though Josh Will have more short term poerful years and short term stats.

nationals2k9
02-23-2011, 05:30 PM
Fair points. There will always be doubts about Pujols simply because of the unbelievable numbers he has put up since day 1. But there seems to be a huge difference (at least as of now) between the guys who are suspicious and the guys who have been caught. Simply look at Palmeiro (11%) and Bagwell (41%). I think its probably a pipe dream that the progression of voters treatment of this issue will allow someone like Manny to be a first ballot guy (figuring he will be on the ballot in about 7 years or so). ARod probably has at least 5 extra years on top of that and things could change but I doubt it will be enough to allow him in first ballot. Thats my opinion anyway though I've seen it shared by even voters who plan on voting for these guys (Buster Olney, Tim Kurkjian, Jayson Stark). Again I'm talking in the eyes of a betting man, not based on my personal player likes or dislikes.

Pujols looked 40 years old from the minute he arrived on the scene. He's essentially an NFL linebacker that's pretty good at baseball too. I just have this crazy suspicion that the league will always protect him as its darling regardless of what they may ever find, if only to protect the common fan. I've got to think guys like Manny and Arod will at least find a place one day. Take your 6-7 years on Manny and add 20 (right?) years of voting. That's a really long time. I personally don't believe these guys become two of the best right-handed hitters of an entire generation just b/c of the PEDs.

MikeSharon
02-24-2011, 07:41 PM
since we are bringing up retired guys what do you think about Biggio's chances on the 1st ballot i think he has to be a lock

sox83cubs84
02-24-2011, 10:20 PM
since we are bringing up retired guys what do you think about Biggio's chances on the 1st ballot i think he has to be a lock

I would be very surprised if he didn't make it on his first year eligible.

Dave Miedema

rj_lucas
02-25-2011, 09:59 AM
Pujols looked 40 years old from the minute he arrived on the scene. He's essentially an NFL linebacker that's pretty good at baseball too. I just have this crazy suspicion that the league will always protect him as its darling regardless of what they may ever find, if only to protect the common fan. I've got to think guys like Manny and Arod will at least find a place one day. Take your 6-7 years on Manny and add 20 (right?) years of voting. That's a really long time. I personally don't believe these guys become two of the best right-handed hitters of an entire generation just b/c of the PEDs.

I just looked up 'irony' in the dictionary and it's defined as 'talking up Manny Ramirez for the Hall of Fame while directing unfounded accusations of PEDs use towards other players.'

Pretty funny coming from a fan of the guy who shot himself up with a female fertility drug. C'mon man.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

shoremen44
02-25-2011, 11:17 AM
...now that is funny

cjclong
02-25-2011, 01:22 PM
I'll go with Jeter and Rivera. I think Rivera could quit today and get in. If he gets the all time saves record that would just be icing on the cake. The HOF voters pay a lot of attention to post season play and no one has been better there than Rivera. I think the 09 playoffs and world series cemented his reputation where of all the closers for the playoff teams he was the only one who did not blow a save through the playoffs and world series. Also, in many of the past years of HOF voting the closer postion on a staff wasn't looked at with the importance it is today. And from all accounts Rivera is a very fine person which will also influence voters when unfortunately too many athletes are jerks.

nationals2k9
02-25-2011, 02:45 PM
I always make a point to mention before anything else that my suspicions with Pujols have nothing to do with Manny already being suspended and me hoping to bring down the whole crew. I just think MLB is not a fully healthy league when it's a mix of former stars turned PED violators, combined with guys like Pujols who is oddly the first guy to look like Mark McGwire since McGwire himself. My argument at its core is to stop making the PED crap such a huge criteria when it comes to HOF consideration, and just return to watching these guys perform and do what they do best. I'm frankly embarassed that one day I get to explain to my son that the majority of my favorite players growing up are guys he won't be seeing in Cooperstown, in large part because it was the era where someone decided to make a big deal about it. But the way it stands, you've got a small handful of "clean" guys that we're all clinging to, and you've got even more guys who a lot of used to love that are now considered a joke because they made some poor decisions. That makes me angry and causes me to cast doubt on the remaining few everyone is all goo goo about.

You guys are probably a lot like me in a way... trying to defend what we like to make ours. "I have 10 Pujols bats, he's a god, he's never done anything, leave him alone." I'm thinking, "I have 10 Manny bats, he's my favorite player, stop picking on him like he's a cancer and appreciate his abilities."

Of course my thinking is unfounded, but what's the fun of waiting until after the fact and proclaiming that I knew something was up? Pictures like this of Albert and seeing the way he hits the ball tend to bend my thoughts some.

kellsox
02-25-2011, 04:04 PM
Manny is an interesting case because he served a suspension for violation of the policy, came back and was nowhere near the same player. Calling into question how much of his accomplishments were ped aided (more so than others)

nationals2k9
02-25-2011, 05:46 PM
I see your point, but he's also at that age. Some of the other guys just kind of vanished entirely. This year will be interesting with his back against the wall. He seems to be in the right mindset, dropping 12 lbs and working his butt off to prepare. We'll see. But I get it.