PDA

View Full Version : Tony Gwynn bat question?

scottanservitz
02-19-2011, 10:20 AM
Anyone who knows Gwynn and his bats know if he used a Hoosier in a game?
http://cgi.ebay.com/MID-1990S-TONY-GWYNN-GAME-USED-AUTO-HOOSIER-BAT-W-COA-/330495582813?pt=Vintage_Sports_Memorabilia&hash=item4cf312625d

Thanks.

Scott

metsbats
02-19-2011, 10:38 AM
Yes. In Gwynn's book "The Art Of Hitting" there is one photo of Tony using a blond Hoosier bat.

metsbats
02-19-2011, 10:46 AM
However check out this LV which he painted to look like a Hoosier.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tony-Gwynn-Game-Used-Bat-Padres-LOA-Wife-2809Hit-RARE-/300515534568

not sure what the story is here.

metsbats
02-19-2011, 06:55 PM
Here photos from the book..

scottanservitz
02-19-2011, 08:57 PM
Thanks, guys.

bagbig
02-20-2011, 08:58 AM
I don't think those pics are of a Hoosier bat, but actually a Louisville Slugger that he colored to look like a Hoosier. The close up pic has lines that are too close and not perfectly straight. Check again.

metsbats
02-20-2011, 07:57 PM
Are you referring the game photo or the close up with the bat with the three lines (those lines look factory made) ?

There is a photo in the book with Gwynn sitting the dugout with a Hoosier bat next to him.

There is also a photo of him using a LV with a ring on it to make it look like an Rawlings.

I'll post these later.

metsbats
02-21-2011, 12:11 PM
I contacted one of our resident Gwynn experts on the Forum (Nick N.) and here's the response regarding Gwynn off brand bats.

Thanks Nick for the info.

Hi David,

Thanks for the email. As far as I know, Tony never swung anything other than Louisvilles in games post '86-'87 era. He would often experiment with other brands during bp and spring training. I've seen many different brands that he's tried out, including Hoosier. I know there are a couple pictures of him in the dugout with Hoosiers, but I doubt he used them in games, and if he did, it wouldn't be for an extended length of time. Tony often drew rings on his bats and colored his bats out of boredom, that's why occasionally you'll see pictures that look like he's swinging a Rawlings, Hoosier or KC Slammer (like the pic from his book). As far as the bat on ebay, from what I can tell it looks like a legit bat that was used by Tony but almost certainly was used either in bp, spring training or the offseason. The writing on the knob and barrel end are Tony's hand writing. The bat's he used in games during that era would almost always have the equipment manager's writing on the ends (model, length/weight, 19). Could he have used the bat in a game? Sure. But I wouldn't pay a premium price for that bat. It appears to be a legit bp bat, that would sell in the range of $200-$300. Hopefully that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Nick

scottanservitz
02-21-2011, 02:01 PM
That's what I thought. Forum comes through again! Thanks everyone.

Scott