PDA

View Full Version : Mark Gastineau NY Jets Jersey

NYRangers
02-18-2011, 09:52 PM
A couple years back, a seller on ebay listed this Jets jersey a number of times with no bids. It was advertised as a game used Gastineau jersey with LOA from Grey Flannel describing light wear and provenance from an unnamed "impeccable source." From talk on this forum and elsewhere, it seemed that the jersey drew little interest because of the single green stripe on the sleeves. It was said that there was no definitive proof that the Jets ever wore a single sleeve stripe. Still, it still seemed unlikely to me that it was a retail item. And a veteran Jets collector from this forum told me that the Jets were all over the place in terms of what jerseys and styles were worn with numerous inconsistencies even within a given game. So I took a chance and made an offer on the jersey that was less than what I figured a true game issued might cost.
The jersey is a Champion micro-mesh (if that's the right term) with crotch piece and, yes, a single green stripe on each sleeve. A good looking jersey (though I personally don't like the fact that it has been autographed by Mark in recent years). I have been researching photos and videos and it now appears certain to me that the Jets - or at least Gastineau - did wear Champion with a single green stripe on each sleeve.