PDA

View Full Version : Pujols Contract talks over, Where can he go???

yankees506
02-16-2011, 12:43 PM
I have no idea how the cardinals can fumble on this, and have no idea where Pujols thinks he can go..... Boston has A-Gon, We have Tex, Angels have kendry, Phils have Howard...... slim market that needs a first baseman

BULBUS
02-16-2011, 04:12 PM
There have been talks about the Cards trading Pujols for any of those guys you mentioned. The Cards would get a first baseman with a contract that they could live with and Albert would go to a team that could pay him what he wants. As a Yankee fan I wouldnt mind seeing him in pinstripes :D, but Teixeira has a no trade and I'm sure he would nix any such trade.

That being said, I'm sure he and Cards will get something done.

allstarsplus
02-16-2011, 04:36 PM
Boston has A-Gon, As far as I know AGon is a Free Agent himself after this season unless he signs an extension.

Maybe the Cardinals think they get him for their max offer after he gets stonewalled after the season by all the teams you mentioned. Expect the Nationals to go after him for 5 to 8 years as they are now in spending mode.

Here's the rub I have always heard since the days Alberto slid in the Draft that many GMs felt he is a few years older than his Driver's License and Birth Certificate says. Don't know if that is true but if he isn't 31 and really is 34 (?), does it make sense to sign him for more than 4 to 6 years?

Also, do the Cardinals know something we don't know? This will be the story of the year for sure.

BULBUS
02-16-2011, 04:46 PM
Boston has A-Gon

Word is that Boston has a contract done, but they are waiting for the season to start so they can avoid the luxury tax.

TNTtoys
02-16-2011, 04:47 PM
I am 90% of the thinking that Pujols and the Cardinals will get the job done somehow.

If not, the other 10% of me can't help but see the Phillies working out a deal to add another superstar to the team -- and at the same time deal Ryan Howard to his home town of St. Louis to replace Pujols.

Course that 10% of me comes from years of disappointment as a Mets fan!!!

BULBUS
02-16-2011, 04:57 PM
If not, the other 10% of me can't help but see the Phillies working out a deal to add another superstar to the team -- and at the same time deal Ryan Howard to his home town of St. Louis to replace Pujols.

Course that 10% of me comes from years of disappointment as a Mets fan!!!

ha..Mets fans at work are saying the same thing :D

LastingsMilledge85
02-16-2011, 06:16 PM
I think the Phillies will make every push to acquire him, the only question is if they have the money since they've spent a ton on pitching. They will have to give Pujols ten years if they get him. A lot will depend on what type of season the Cards have and what will their future look like, if they can make a push for contenders for years to come, they have a legitimate chance at retaining him.

Neal
02-16-2011, 07:31 PM
Pujols isn't going anywhere.

shoremen44
02-16-2011, 08:58 PM
My Fantasy... too bad the O's would have to get rid of everyone to pay him... the upside is I always wanted to play shortstop in the majors

allstarsplus
02-16-2011, 09:06 PM
My Fantasy... too bad the O's would have to get rid of everyone to pay him... the upside is I always wanted to play shortstop in the majors

Bert - Did you do the Photoshop on that? Hilarious! Can I get that for the Nationals so I can have some fun with my friends?

legaleagle92481
02-16-2011, 11:46 PM
Why would he go anywhere? His legacy is as a Cadinal one of the most passionate fan bases in the world and one of the game's most historic teams. If he leaves he becomes the Lebron of baseball loathed by many except those who follow his new team. Why would the Phils, Yanks or Sox trade their guy for Albert? Such a player is about the same age and much cheaper than the 30 million figure Pujols is allegedly eyeing. Is Albert really that much of an upgrade over any of those guys? The only teams that could sign him and have noone in the way are the Cubs and depending on what happens with the Madoff lawsuit the Mets. Both those teams are on hard times so it is hard to believe Albert could go to either team and be perceived as anything but a money grubber. This isn't the NBA his addition would not do much to turn around either very flawed team.

LastingsMilledge85
02-17-2011, 12:12 AM
Ryan Howard is not the Phillies' "guy" and I think many in the Phillies organization would say it is worth the risk of trading Ryan Howard (St. Louis raised) for Albert and having to take on ten years. Why people bring up the Red Sox, I have no idea as there has been no links to him and them. The Yankees may take a shot if he hits free agency so he could shift into a full-time DH. The Rangers and Cubs are two other clubs that can legitimately woo him. I think if he wanted to be a Cardinal so badly, he would of signed by now or the talks would have been a little more fruitful instead of not going well at all and they may not want to spend $300MM 10 year deal that he wants.

legaleagle92481
02-17-2011, 12:46 AM
Ryan Howard is not the Phillies' "guy" and I think many in the Phillies organization would say it is worth the risk of trading Ryan Howard (St. Louis raised) for Albert and having to take on ten years. Why people bring up the Red Sox, I have no idea as there has been no links to him and them. The Yankees may take a shot if he hits free agency so he could shift into a full-time DH. The Rangers and Cubs are two other clubs that can legitimately woo him. I think if he wanted to be a Cardinal so badly, he would of signed by now or the talks would have been a little more fruitful instead of not going well at all and they may not want to spend $300MM 10 year deal that he wants.

How is it worth the risk? With Howard the last three years they have won the World Series, won the National League and made the NLCS. They added Halladay and Lee the past two offseasons. This team is loaded. And can they really afford to pay Pujols 30 million a year or 5 million more than they owe Howard every year? Plus Howard will be 37 when his deal is done. Albert in 10 years will be 41! How many guys are still productive hitters and fielders at 41? Can you name any? I can't other than Bonds and he was likely having chemical assistance and still couldn't field. And what if Albert is really a couple of years older as many claim? Your taking paying 30 million a year to a guy in his mid 40s. If Howard wanted to be a Card why not just have let his deal lapse and present himself to the Cards as an alternative to Albert as a free agent after this season when he also would have been free. As far as the Yanks no way Albert is DHing and Tex is one of best fielders so it would b counterproductive to move him plus they need that spot for their aging Jeter and Arod. The Rangers would never do it after Arod's deal burned them a decade ago. Even if they wanted to they have to pay Hamilton in a couple of years and if they pay Albert 30 million noway they can afford both. Albert like any player is just trying to maximize his value, free agency can only help him especially if the Cubs come calling.

rj_lucas
02-17-2011, 10:19 AM
The sole purpose of a ten year deal would be to ensure that Albert retires as a Cardinal. After the first six or seven years, e.g. for a player in his upper 30s, you're not paying for the player, you're paying for an icon.

So, a ten year deal makes no sense anywhere but the Cardinals. Why would another team pay for 'icon years' when the player would not be an icon for their team?

I'd like to see both parties willing to go outside the box here, rather than just trying to build a bigger box than Alex Rodriguez. Something more akin to the 'lifetime contract' that George Brett received from the Royals. Forget about seven years, or ten years. Structure a deal that pays a generous salary for the duration of Albert's playing career, however many years that might be, accompanied by a vested annuity that, after he retires, features a payout every year for the rest of Albert's lifetime. Literally, a Cardinal for life. The payout would be a percentage of the team's net profits for the year, effectively hedging the Cardinals against fiduciary risk.

I believe Major League Baseball prohibits active players from retaining an ownership stake in a team but the deal I've described, strictly speaking, is not an ownership deal. It's a revenue share, and Albert's share would not vest until he retires as a player.

I know that Bill DeWitt appreciates the legacy of the St. Louis Cardinals. Since he himself is a integral part of the team's history, he must understand that if he cannot get this deal done, he may be judged by history as the most shortsighted baseball owner since Charles Comiskey.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

legaleagle92481
02-17-2011, 10:41 AM
The sole purpose of a ten year deal would be to ensure that Albert retires as a Cardinal. After the first six or seven years, e.g. for a player in his upper 30s, you're not paying for the player, you're paying for an icon.

So, a ten year deal makes no sense anywhere but the Cardinals. Why would another team pay for 'icon years' when the player would not be an icon for their team?

I'd like to see both parties willing to go outside the box here, rather than just trying to build a bigger box than Alex Rodriguez. Something more akin to the 'lifetime contract' that George Brett received from the Royals. Forget about seven years, or ten years. Structure a deal that pays a generous salary for the duration of Albert's playing career, however many years that might be, accompanied by a vested annuity that, after he retires, features a payout every year for the rest of Albert's lifetime. Literally, a Cardinal for life. The payout would be a percentage of the team's net profits for the year, effectively hedging the Cardinals against fiduciary risk.

I believe Major League Baseball prohibits active players from retaining an ownership stake in a team but the deal I've described, strictly speaking, is not an ownership deal. It's a revenue share, and Albert's share would not vest until he retires as a player.

I know that Bill DeWitt appreciates the legacy of the St. Louis Cardinals. Since he himself is a integral part of the team's history, he must understand that if he cannot get this deal done, he may be judged by history as the most shortsighted baseball owner since Charles Comiskey.

Rick
rickjlucas@gmail.com

Good points. Actually an active player can have ownership in a team, he is only prohibited from owning part of a team he does not play on. A mechanicism would have to be set up for him to devest if he changed teams. Si.com floated this idea the other day.

TNTtoys
02-17-2011, 11:19 AM
I think if he wanted to be a Cardinal so badly, he would of signed by now

I disagree with this statement. I have to agree with Pujols standing his ground. The Cardinals reportedly offered him 8 years/168 million. At an average salary for the 8 years, this does not even put Pujols in the top 10 of all active players. Hell, Vernon Wells is making 23 million. Is this not a slap in the face of the game's best player -- to make a statement that after all he has done for the city of St. Louis, he's not even worth "top 10" status?
I think the Cardinals low-balled him and are going to pay dearly in the off-season once other teams enter the picture. Why didn't they just offer him $25 mil per year and be done with it? At that point, he would be the 2nd highest paid player in the game (and able to rationalize that he's not playing for the Yankees -- or he would be first).

CampWest
02-17-2011, 01:12 PM
Kansas City...

He played here in high school and college. His permanent residence is in KC area and he has lived in KC area for 15 years or so.

I cannot see any reason for him to go anywhere else... :rolleyes:

sox83cubs84
02-17-2011, 05:02 PM
There are a few guys who hang out on Waveland Avenue who'd wet themselves from excitement if Pujols ended up as a Cub.:p :p :p

Dave Miedema

cjclong
02-18-2011, 01:14 PM
I would like for him to stay in St Louis. Maybe I am one of the few who is glad players like Musial (who was just awarded the medal of freedom), Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle, Cal Ripken played with one team their whole careers. They are loved by the fans and have a warm home to return to when they go to their old ballpark. Maybe there is something I am missing, but what is the real difference between $20 million and $23 million beside the ego of being the highest paid? After a point you really can't spend it and there isn't much to do with it execept hoard it in a saving or give it to charity. Believe it or not, there are things money can't buy and one is the bond between althletes who are truly loved and their fans

sox83cubs84
02-18-2011, 06:05 PM
I would like for him to stay in St Louis. Maybe I am one of the few who is glad players like Musial (who was just awarded the medal of freedom), Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle, Cal Ripken played with one team their whole careers. They are loved by the fans and have a warm home to return to when they go to their old ballpark. Maybe there is something I am missing, but what is the real difference between $20 million and $23 million beside the ego of being the highest paid? After a point you really can't spend it and there isn't much to do with it execept hoard it in a saving or give it to charity. Believe it or not, there are things money can't buy and one is the bond between althletes who are truly loved and their fans

Actually, even though I'd love to see him in Cubs pinstripes for 5 or 6 years, overall, my sentiments are similar to yours.

Dave Miedema