PDA

View Full Version : Get Well Soon Joe! Fought for his life in NYC Subway!

camarokids
02-15-2011, 06:56 PM
Forum Member Joe Lozito fought for his life against a mad man who killed four and injured five.

Joe is banged up & stitched up , but is alive to tell about it! Fours others are not so lucky.

Read here....

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/02/13/2011-02-13_my_deadly_battle_with_madman_victim.html

Photo's including the young woman whom he killed because she turned him down repeatedly...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/galleries/the_path_of_a_killer/the_path_of_a_killer.html

camarokids
02-15-2011, 06:58 PM
no edit feature...

Just wanted to clarify, Joe is not the madman.

Maksim Gelman is the loser who went on the rampage.....

Rob L
02-15-2011, 07:37 PM
Wow. Amazing story. I know Joe is downplaying it but he is a hero!!

sox83cubs84
02-15-2011, 09:59 PM

+1

Dave Miedema

metsbats
02-15-2011, 10:31 PM
I read about this the other day in the paper and saw Joe's photo. Didn't even realize it was our Joe.

Joe you ARE truly a hero and saved many lives.

We wish you a speedy recovery.

slambam
02-16-2011, 12:59 AM
I usually lurk and normally don't post here, but even though you may not have had another option, great job to get this psycho in jail where he belongs. I sure hope you recover fully and quickly. I believe in karma just like you do, and I sure hope you get every bit of good karma coming to you after this.

spartakid
02-16-2011, 09:01 AM
Wow, what a story! I know all of us here wish you a quick recovery.

shoremen44
02-16-2011, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by Rob L http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?p=239409#post239409)

I agree...

get better Joe, Im glad you are ok

trsent
02-16-2011, 10:20 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Watching-MMA-helps-man-disarm-an-alleged-murdere;_ylt=AgC1qxXMvqOj8bkIOpxu8OI5nYcB?urn=mma-321197

momen55
02-16-2011, 10:46 AM
wow!

spartanservitto
02-16-2011, 10:59 AM
This is amazing. What a guy.

-Tony

mbenga28
02-16-2011, 12:26 PM
what's Joe's member name here?

trsent
02-16-2011, 03:40 PM
what's Joe's member name here?

JoeL

TNTtoys
02-16-2011, 04:53 PM
I hate to reiterate what several forum members have already said, but WOW. This is amazing. And Joe, you certainly are a hero! Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

geoff
02-16-2011, 11:44 PM
You Are A True Hero For Stepping Up And Helping Others Out.Get Better soon.ThanksGeoff

legaleagle92481
02-17-2011, 12:05 AM
Wow I live in New York and was following this closely did not realize that man was a member. The craziest and saddest story I have heard in a long time. It is a shame that four innocent people had to die. It is just so senseless. I can't understand why anyone would do something like this especially over the use of a car and a girl. I mean every male alive has had a girl turn him down at one time or another, women make up 51% of the population so there are always plenty of other potential options out there that a guy does not have to fixate on one that is not interested for whatever reason. Glad Joe and the other survivors are going to be okay and I hope in the future people having thoughts of homicide think before they act and ask themselves is anything really worth doing something like that?

gingi79
02-17-2011, 02:11 AM
Joe,

Man you are one bad mofo! Great job representing the hero we all wish could be said of us. New Yorkers are some strong folks, I wish you a speedy recovery and look forward to the story!

Matt

JoeL
02-22-2011, 08:39 AM
Hey guys,
Thank you all for the kind words & well wishes. I just thought I'd give you an update on my well being.

I saw an eye doctor yesterday and my left eye appears to have no structural damage and it's pretty much just waiting for it to heal at this point.

At my GP, I had several stitches removed and about 40% of the staples removed. The remainder of the stitches/staples should come out on Wednesday.

Pretty much going to rest for the next few days as my blood pressure was a little low and I'm slightly anemic since I lost so much blood. All in all I'm healing nicely.

I'll keep you posted as things progress. Again, thank you all.

Regards,
Joe
dajt2003@aol.com (dajt2003@aol.com)

PS-save some Kyle Farnsworth items for me please!!! Once I'm up & running again I plan on seeing if the Braves have any left from last season. I know I'm not the only guy who collects his stuff. See, even in my "weakened condition" (Ferris Bueller reference), the collector in me comes out!!!!

You guys are awesome, thanks from my family & myself!!

dcgreg25
02-22-2011, 10:25 AM
Joe, great to see you back on the board. That is quite an amazing story and I know that everyone here is pulling for you to have a a quick and total recovery!! Take it easy for a while...you have certainly earned it!

camarokids
02-22-2011, 10:39 AM
Hey Joe,

Good to hear your going to heal & fully recover.

You must be getting better since your thinking about game used stuff!

Once again, Great job!

With all the television appearances maybe we should ask for your autograph?? :cool:

tigerdale
02-22-2011, 11:53 AM
wishing you the very best Joe!!

allstarsplus
02-22-2011, 11:59 AM
Joe - Amazing courage and a true hero! Get well soon!!!!!!!!!

dcgreg25
02-22-2011, 12:31 PM
Joe as a small token of our appreciation, Chris the other moderators and I picked up a little something for you today. It is a 2010 Kyle Farnsworth GU Braves home jersey (MLB Authenticated). As you can see from the many posts on this this thread we all appreciate your heroic efforts and your contribution to the forum. Thanks for what you did and for being a part of the forum!

Shoot me an email (gregguy@hotmail.com) with your address and I will get it out to you.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/gregguy25/Farnsworth1.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/gregguy25/Farnsworth2.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/gregguy25/Farnsworth3.jpg

commando
02-22-2011, 12:36 PM
Whoooooo Hooooo!!! This place rocks.... I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy now... :)

ChrisCavalier
02-22-2011, 01:24 PM
Joe as a small token of our appreciation, Chris the other moderators and I picked up a little something for you today. It is a 2010 Kyle Farnsworth GU Braves home jersey (MLB Authenticated).
Joe,

I was made aware of this thread through Greg and am absolutely amazed by the story and your bravery. I'm also glad your wife and kids did not lose their loving husband/father. Reading about the fatalities was really overwhelming and thank goodness you helped bring the offender to justice. Who knows what else he might have done?

As with everyone else, I wish you a speedy recovery and hope you enjoy the gift of life God has given you with your family. I also hope you enjoy the jersey. It was Greg's idea and all the moderators agreed it would be just a small token of appreciation for someone who risked so much.

Again, we wish you well and thanks to David for creating the thread.

God Bless,
Chris

both-teams-played-hard
02-22-2011, 01:51 PM
Joe as a small token of our appreciation, Chris the other moderators and I picked up a little something for you today. It is a 2010 Kyle Farnsworth GU Braves home jersey (MLB Authenticated). As you can see from the many posts on this this thread we all appreciate your heroic efforts and your contribution to the forum. Thanks for what you did and for being a part of the forum!

Now, that's a nice gesture. And well-deserving!

tknorm
02-22-2011, 03:20 PM

+1 :cool:

JoeL
02-22-2011, 05:32 PM
WOW, thanks Greg and the rest of the moderators, I really don't know what to say. I'm just blown away by the gesture. I'm just sitting here shaking my head trying to think of the right words, but nothing sounds like enough. I'll just try this.

Thank you. You guys are amazing people. It's things like this that help in my recovery, knowing that people are out there who I've never met that care. That is priceless. I cannot thank you enough.

Thanks a lot!

Joe
dajt2003@aol.com

mdube16
02-22-2011, 08:19 PM
Its an honor to share the board with you. Get better asap!

Dach0sen0ne
02-23-2011, 09:46 AM
Joe,

I was made aware of this thread through Greg and am absolutely amazed by the story and your bravery. I'm also glad your wife and kids did not lose their loving husband/father. Reading about the fatalities was really overwhelming and thank goodness you helped bring the offender to justice. Who knows what else he might have done?

As with everyone else, I wish you a speedy recovery and hope you enjoy the gift of life God has given you with your family. I also hope you enjoy the jersey. It was Greg's idea and all the moderators agreed it would be just a small token of appreciation for someone who risked so much.

Again, we wish you well and thanks to David for creating the thread.

God Bless,
Chris

That is a gesture that says a lot about this forum and it's management. BRAVO! Joe I'm glad you're making progress in your recovery and enjoy every second you get with that family of yours. I'm glad you came out on top.

Bravesfan
02-23-2011, 02:09 PM
Get well soon Joe!
Glad the world still has people like you in it.

Vintagedeputy
02-23-2011, 06:25 PM
Just another reason why I don't leave the house without a gun.

Get well soon Joe!

camarokids
02-23-2011, 07:14 PM
That is very cool of you all to buy him a jersey! :cool:

Bravesfan
02-23-2011, 07:19 PM
Just another reason why I don't leave the house without a gun.

Get well soon Joe!
Amen.
....... the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

cjw
02-23-2011, 07:39 PM
Get well soon Joe! It is good to know that there are people who will do what needs to be done to protect others, even when doing soon puts themselves at risk.

Very nice jesture from the Mods as well!

sox83cubs84
02-23-2011, 09:28 PM

A BIG +1! Heal up, Joe...we're praying for you.

Dave Miedema

suave1477
02-23-2011, 09:53 PM
Hello Joe,

I haven't been on here in a long time but once in a blue I take a look on the board to see if there is anything of interest to read and I came across this thread.

I felt it warranted a response from me as the others have.

As a New Yorker I apologize you had to go through something like that and I hope that incident doesn't deter others on the board from visiting our great city as you can imagine you have crazy people everywhere. Joe you are a hero in my book and honored that you are apart of this forum and that you helped in a chaotic time and wish you a speedy recovery.

Heal well and fast and get back to collecting!!!:p

God Bless!!

AutographAddiction
02-23-2011, 11:26 PM
Awesome, awesome, awesome.

Joe, you are a hero- what a valiant act you completed.

And everyone who helped with getting him the Farnsworth jersey, you are awesome as well. Class-act right there. As soon as I realized who Joe was I immediately checked the braves list to see if there was anything from Kyle Farnsworth. Looked like you all beat me to it.

I love it though.

+1 to everyone.

STLHAMMER32
02-24-2011, 01:50 AM
Wow....incredible. Best of luck with the recovery Joe. Great gesture with the Farnsworth jersey as well guys.

kudu
02-24-2011, 02:58 AM
I concur, awesome gesture with regards to the jersey. And a BIG Thank You to Joe for what you did and a speedy recovery!

jppopma
02-24-2011, 11:59 PM
Good story all around. Nice work Joe, get well soon! Nice move by the mods too.

costas
02-25-2011, 09:29 AM
yo Joe, a real American hero!!

Vintagedeputy
02-25-2011, 05:16 PM
Amen.
....... the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

When seconds count the most, the police are only minutes away!

platinum1
02-25-2011, 05:28 PM
Joe Good Luck! Get Well Soon
This thread should be the one with over 20K hits

island_style
02-26-2011, 04:42 AM
Way to go, Joe! That was quite an amazing display of courage!

Also, thanks to the Mods for giving Joe the Farnsworth jersey. It was a fantastic gesture in honor of Joe.

Following David's mention of an autograph, has anyone tried to contact Farnsworth or the team in hopes that they might do something for him, also?

Wishing you a speedy recovery, Joe.

Kind Regards from the Aloha State,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

djnos7
02-26-2011, 08:31 AM
All i can say is WOW!!! i just read this and i am blown away by this story... Joel I envy you for your Heroism, you are a true example of what a Hero really is, as we all should follow by your example of what it means to be a Great Ameican! I am proud to be a Member in the same community and Forums as you, i wish you and your family all the best, and hope your recovery quickly. Good luck to you, and hope to meet you one day, i would like to buy you a few beers and sahke your hand! Let me know when your in CHI-TOWN! -Mike, djnos7@yahoo.com

sctizzle
02-26-2011, 04:40 PM
I contacted the Braves who are looking into something for Joe.

Scott

Way to go, Joe! That was quite an amazing display of courage!

Also, thanks to the Mods for giving Joe the Farnsworth jersey. It was a fantastic gesture in honor of Joe.

Following David's mention of an autograph, has anyone tried to contact Farnsworth or the team in hopes that they might do something for him, also?

Wishing you a speedy recovery, Joe.

Kind Regards from the Aloha State,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

b.heagy
02-26-2011, 04:44 PM
Speedy recovery Joe. You deserve a medal.

Mark17
02-26-2011, 09:28 PM
Joe, I envy you. For the rest of your life, every night before you go to sleep, you can remind yourself that you saved peoples' lives. When the chips were down, you came through, without a weapon to defend yourself and without time to prepare.

You should be very, very proud. What a great thing you did!

-Mark

island_style
02-27-2011, 05:14 AM
I contacted the Braves who are looking into something for Joe.

Scott

Thanks, Scott.

I realize that the team is not obligated to do anything (which magnifies the Mod's kind gesture), but it sure would be nice!

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

gameused
02-27-2011, 02:02 PM
Joe,

You da Man!!! My prayers are with you for a speedy recovery.

Anybody here have contacts with the Yankees front office? I would like to see for Joe throw out the first pitch at Yankee stadium on opening day, what do you guys think? Let's make it happen!

Thanks,
Bobby

sox83cubs84
02-27-2011, 02:57 PM
Joe,

You da Man!!! My prayers are with you for a speedy recovery.

Anybody here have contacts with the Yankees front office? I would like to see for Joe throw out the first pitch at Yankee stadium on opening day, what do you guys think? Let's make it happen!

Thanks,
Bobby

+1

If not opening day, at least for an early-season game.

Dave Miedema

JoeL
02-27-2011, 03:48 PM
Hey everybody,
figured I'd give you another update. All of my stitches & staples are out. Wounds are healing nicely. I'm able to shave 99% of my head now. I can't shave over a few of the scars yet, so it looks like I have a few caterpillars on my dome. Just glad I could get the majority of the hair off of my head. Chiapets would mock my hair after about 10 days of growth on there! Just looked stupid!

I was able to get back to the gym today. Only able to do some lower body lifting since my left hand isn't 100% yet and I was able to do a light 30 minute walk on the treadmill. Felt good to do ANYTHING physical. Can't wait until I'm back to 100%.

Heading back to work tomorrow. Ready to go. My boss has been amazing during this time as have my co-workers.

Big thanks to the Philadelphia Flyers. The Flyers heard about my story and honored me at Thursday's game against the Islanders. Had a jersey made up for me, got to meet Bob "Hound" Kelly and received a standing ovation from 19,000 people and two benches full of players and staff. That was amazing. Was able to visit both locker rooms. Have a few buddies on the Islanders and while I had their attention in the room, I was able to let them know what a great job they did against Pittsburgh and to be proud of themselves regardless of what the mainstream media may say. After that, they took us in the Flyers room and it was a big thrill for my son Joey. What a great bunch of guys on both sides.

Heading to Albuquerque, NM this Thursday courtesy of the Dean of Mean, Keith Jardine. Mr. Jardine read in an article that he's my favorite fighter and gave me a call a few days after I got out home. I thought he was just calling to lift my spirits. He did that and then told me that along with the promoter of the event, they were flying my wife and I out to NM for his fight and taking care of everything, hotel, etc. I was just blown away. I am anxiously awaiting this Thursday...it can't come fast enough.

Like I've said a million times, it's having friends like you guys on this board, a supportive family and people in the community and beyond that go the extra mile for myself & my family that are really helping up cope at this time. I cannot tell you guys how much your posts have meant to me. I thank each and every one of you.

You guys who are calling these teams for me, man, what can I say? I appreciate that so much. I better start playing long-toss with my sons because if I end up throwing a first pitch and bounce it, I'm just crawling under the mound. My wife told me she e-mailed the Rays since that's where Farnsworth is this year. She hasn't heard back yet. Contacting the Braves is awesome since they're my favorite team and contacting the Yankees is awesome because that's my wife's and my little guy's favorite team. I think I'm on the Phillies radar but I'm not sure. My oldest would freak out with that. You guys are freaking amazing. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talk to you guys soon,
Joe
dajt2003@aol.com (dajt2003@aol.com)

shoremen44
02-27-2011, 05:01 PM
No Joe... Thank you

camarokids
03-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Still an amazing story to read!

Great to hear your just about back to normal & enjoying life again.

Did you get any autographs from the hockey guys, or any sticks?

Have fun in New Mexico!!!

gingi79
03-05-2011, 11:07 PM
Joe,

Great to hear so many teams are reaching out to you as it never gets old reading your story. Having 19,000 people cheer for you must have been surreal! Glad you are feeling better and once again, thanks for all you did.

Matt

Canseco44
03-06-2011, 09:42 AM
Wow, I don't know how I missed this! Joe you are unbelievable. You can say you just did what anybody would have in that situation, but that's just not true. You are a true hero and should be treated as one. Amazing story and glad to hear you are gonna be ok. Your children really have a great dad!

Todd

josports
03-07-2011, 06:30 PM
Joe,

We here at JO Sports want to wish you a great and speedy recovery. This is an amazing and very courageous thing to do. We are glad to hear everything is going great with you and your family. You are a true example of exactly what a HERO is.

God Bless

-JO Sports Co. LLC

JoeL
03-09-2011, 07:19 AM
Hi everyone!
so after having the absolute greatest time in New Mexico, upon arriving at home, I had a gem of a jersey waiting here for me. Greg and everyone else in getting that Kyle Farnsworth Braves jersey for me....THANK YOU!!!!!!!! It's absolutely incredible. I loved checking it out and adding it to GU Farnsworth Tigers jerseys I have. You guys are truly awesome and it's an HONOR to be a part of this community.

Thanks again to everyone involved!

Joe
dajt2003@aol.com

Dach0sen0ne
07-01-2011, 10:25 PM
Joe will be on the July 7th episode of NY Ink on TLC. 10 PM EST. :D

JoeL
06-14-2014, 04:19 PM
Hi everybody,

I know I'm not really on here much anymore but I wanted to let you know that I've written a book about the whole "Subway Hero" experience. It covers the incident, my recovery, the sentencing & all the Court bullshit. I think it's a good read, but I may be biased. If you're interested, you can find info at www.NYSubwayHeroBook.com

I wrote this myself, published it myself & I'm marketing it & promoting it myself. If you don't mind, please post this on as many social media sites as you can. Everything helps.

Thanks everybody, I hope you are well!!

Joe
dajt2003@aol.com