PDA

View Full Version : Spring Training Sabbatical - 2011 Edition

xpress34
02-14-2011, 10:40 PM
Hey all -

I spent the better part of my day going over schedules and current rosters (including Non-Roster invitees) and creating a 'skeleton' itinerary for next month's trip to the Cactus League.

Here it is:

Fri March 18th

* Depart Denver

Sat March 19th

* Arrive in Surprise
* Graphing at Surprise (morning)
* Game - SEA @ TEX (autos - Ichiro, Bradley, Wedge, Figgins, Nolan, Hambone)
* Dinner w/ Brother and his wife

Sun March 20th

* Game - LAA @ COL (check out the stadium and set up)
* Check into our Hotel

Mon March 21st

* Game - CLE @ KC (autos only - Nix, Santana, Yost, Hochevar)

Tues March 22nd

* Off Day for Rox (G-Man meet? - I'm working on)
* Game (if we miss Nix on MON) - CLE @ AZ (autos only - Nix and Santana)

Wed March 23rd

* Game - SEA @ COL (night game)

Thu March 24th

* TUCSON Day

Fri March 25th

* Graphing at Talking Stick (morning)
* Game - TEX @ COL (night game)

Sat March 26th

* Graphing at Surprise (morning) if needed
* Depart for Denver

I will update this later with more detail on items I am looking to get autographed, items I am looking to obtain and players I am seeking for autographs as well as plans for card shops, used bookstores (I find most of my baseball library at stores in Phoenix and Tucson.

Man I love the phrase "Pitchers and catchers Report"!

- Smitty

nt_eagle
02-15-2011, 11:12 AM
Anything after the 22nd is subject to change of course, if 'ya get to meet up with the G-Man. Especially after the G-Man sees the pics of his 'clone'! :D

xpress34
02-18-2011, 09:55 AM
T Minus One Month and counting until my departure date for Spring Training Sabbatical - 2011 Edition.

In the coming weeks I will be updating / fine-tuning my Itinerary as well as planning out the items I am hoping to have signed as well as the autographs I will be seeking, the games I will be watching and the shops, sites and attractions I plan to visit.

- Smitty

xpress34
02-25-2011, 07:55 PM
T-Minus 3 weeks and counting... starting to get stuff together and make my list of who and what I'm looking to see and get signed...

mlbforeverhomer
02-25-2011, 10:13 PM
Any chance you could try and snag some Orlando Cabrera GU stuff? Ill pay you for it! Please let me know.

Thank you,

jobathenut
02-26-2011, 12:53 AM
xpress-Hey i got this ticket of giambi's first rockies game.Is there anyway you could get signed for me-just kidding-:) Well i hope you have a safe and fun trip.And i look forward to reading your fun and being jealous of you.
T-Minus 3 weeks and counting... starting to get stuff together and make my list of who and what I'm looking to see and get signed...

xpress34
02-26-2011, 01:04 AM
Any chance you could try and snag some Orlando Cabrera GU stuff? Ill pay you for it! Please let me know.

Thank you,

Clayton -

I sent you an eMail.

- Smitty

xpress34
02-26-2011, 01:05 AM
xpress-Hey i got this ticket of giambi's first rockies game.Is there anyway you could get signed for me-just kidding-:) Well i hope you have a safe and fun trip.And i look forward to reading your fun and being jealous of you.

Butch -

I have like three or four more tickets from that game. IF I get a chance for some exclusive time with the G-Man, I'll try to get something for you and for Joe.

- Smitty

xpress34
02-26-2011, 01:08 AM
So, I've given you the Tentative Itinerary... now, here is the Tentative List of what I hope to achieve at Spring Training this season...

Texas Rangers:

Josh Hamilton (Autos)

2009 All Star Game Jersey
2010 All Star Game Jersey
2010 All Star Game Ball
2010 World Series Ball
Try to obtain a Game Used Bat or Batting Gloves

Nolan Ryan (Autos)

2010 World Series Ball
Hall of Fame Ball
Old Style Batting Practice Hat (to match jersey I already have)

Other Rangers (Autos)

Add to current Rangers AU Jersey - looking for Charlie Pride

Colorado Rockies:

Jason Giambi (Autos)

OMLB Ball
2009 Game Used (Rockies Debut) Jersey - have Inscription(s) added
2010 Game Used Batting Helmet - re-sign (Fan Fest AUTO ran - had to remove)
2010 Game Used Bat
Try to obtain a Game Used Batting Gloves & Hat

Eric Young Jr (Autos)

2009 Game Used (1st MLB Home Run) Jersey - have inscription added
2010 Game Used Hat
Try to obtain a Game Used Batting Gloves

Mike McKenry (Autos)

2010 Game Used (MLB Debut) Jersey - with inscriptions
2010 Game Used Locker Plate
Try to obtain a Game Used Batting Gloves, Hat or Catching Gear

Other Rockies (Autos)

Add to current Rockies AU Jersey and Bat

Other Teams / Players:

Cleveland Indians:

Carlos Santana - Catcher's Mitt
Jayson Nix - 2008 Allen & Ginter Card

Kansas City Royals:

George Brett - Bat
Ned Yost - Catcher's Mitt
Luke Hochevar (Royals) - just want to chat... my cousin coached him with the Ft Worth Cats

Chicago White Sox:

A.J. Pierzynski - Catcher's Mitt
Gordon Beckham - Ball

Seattle Mariners:

Chris Smith - he's my name sake!!!!
Ichiro - on anything!
Eric Wedge - Catcher's Mitt

I don't usually try for teams that will be coming to Coors Field as I get most of those guys when they are here, so I try to use my time to grab the guys on teams I don't get to see - except for the Rockies. It's just easier there than at Coors Field most of the time...

So now you have an insight as to where I start with my Annual Sabbatical... after dates, travel and accommodations are squared away of course...

The next step will be to get on-line and start buying tickets for the games we plan to attend so that is taken care of and out of the way before we get there.

So I need to get crackin'!

Don't forget - Rockies Spring Training games start TOMORROW - Sat Feb 26th against the D-Backs at Salt River Fields @ Talking Stick (SRFaTS)...

All the best -

Smitty

jobathenut
02-26-2011, 01:31 AM
I was just kidding.Don't waste your time trying to get anything for me.Just get for yourself.I am going to try and remail the photos i had mailed to him as a a's (thats laying somewhere in thier mail room) to the rockies and see if i can finally get them signed.
Butch -

I have like three or four more tickets from that game. IF I get a chance for some exclusive time with the G-Man, I'll try to get something for you and for Joe.

- Smitty

xpress34
03-04-2011, 08:12 PM
T-Minus 2 weeks and counting!!!

This time two weeks from now I hope to be somewhere near Bailey, CO en route to Surprise, AZ!!!

xpress34
03-09-2011, 09:17 PM
Woo Hoo!!!!

I haven't even left yet and I've scored my 1st item (I will pick it up when I'm there)...

A pair of GU/AU Josh Hamilton Batting Gloves - MLB Authenticated!!!

2 more days and I'll start jonesing when we hit the one week mark....

- Smitty

rays54
03-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Congrats on your pickup

xpress34
03-11-2011, 01:34 PM
T-Minus 1 week and counting!!!

Now is when I start getting antsy and going over everything I have planned and everything I plan to take with a fine tooth comb!!!

2000mvpfan
03-17-2011, 10:16 AM
Hey Chris-
Caught the Rox\Rangers game on MLB network last nite and immediately thought of "The Sabbatical"!!Have fun on your trip,brother...and good luck with Giambi-and if he's got any of those nifty "23" armbands around..well,tell him they're the only item not currently on display at the Giambi Museum of Woodbridge,NJ!!

Have a ball,dude!!
Joe

xpress34
03-18-2011, 12:38 AM
Hey Chris-
Caught the Rox\Rangers game on MLB network last nite and immediately thought of "The Sabbatical"!!Have fun on your trip,brother...and good luck with Giambi-and if he's got any of those nifty "23" armbands around..well,tell him they're the only item not currently on display at the Giambi Museum of Woodbridge,NJ!!

Have a ball,dude!!
Joe

Joe -

I'll tell him!!!

Happy St Pat'!!! Tommorow is THE dya - hitting the road tomorrow afternoon!

- Smitty

jobathenut
03-18-2011, 01:00 AM
Please chris-Have a safe and fun trip my friend-:) And tell giambi that his #1 fan up here in the freezer says hey,and where the hell are my photos??? I means its been 3 years,how long does it take,i mean come on bro!!!!:rolleyes: Seriously chris-have fun!!!!

2000mvpfan
03-18-2011, 10:36 AM
Hey Butch-
PM me your mailing address,pal.I have something for you..

Joe

xpress34
03-18-2011, 02:00 PM
Joe, Butch and everyone else...

about 3 hours til I hit the road... making final preps - fueled the car, checked the tires, loaded the baseball gear, loading the clothes and toiletries and then the road trip food...

Head to downtown Denver and pick up the wife at about 4pm (MDT) and should be in Surprise, AZ at the brother's house about 6 or 7 tomorrow morning... drop the wife off for some sleep and I'll be heading right over to Surprise for the Rangers to try and get my Hambone and Ryan stuff knocked out... well, started at least!

My 'Sabbatical' this year will be tracked on my MLB Blog here:

Smitty's Blog (http://smitty.mlblogs.com/)

Everyone have a safe week! Only 2 weeks until Rockies Opening Day!

All the best -

Smitty

xpress34
03-20-2011, 02:19 AM
Got here safe and sound! Posting on the blog in a couple of minutes!

xpress34
03-28-2011, 10:51 PM
Well, Spring Training 2011 has come to a close - you can read about it here:

smitty.mlblogs.com (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/smitty.mlblogs.com)

Unfortunately it closed on a very sad note for me - I lost my beloved cat MoMo while we were on the road driving home Sunday night and my 17 year old son and my buddy Erik had to take care of everything for me.

All the best -

Smitty

xpress34
03-28-2011, 11:39 PM
Corrected Link:

Smitty Blog (http://smitty.mlblogs.com/)

- Smitty

jobathenut
03-28-2011, 11:56 PM
XPRESS-Let me first say i am so sorry to hear about your lost.My thoughts and prayers go out to you.I was following the first couple posts on your blog.I will have to read the rest to see how it turned out for you.I hope you had fun-:)

xpress34
03-29-2011, 12:01 AM
XPRESS-Let me first say i am so sorry to hear about your lost.My thoughts and prayers go out to you.I was following the first couple posts on your blog.I will have to read the rest to see how it turned out for you.I hope you had fun-:)

Butch -

Thanks for the kind words... Rays54 sent me an eMail earlier...

Kind of hard to be in a baseball mood for me right now.

- Smitty

island_style
03-29-2011, 04:57 AM
Smitty,

Please e-mail me. Thanks.

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

2000mvpfan
03-29-2011, 11:30 AM
Chris-
That sucks.They're part of the family,and when they die,it hurts just as much.Been there myself..had to take my beagle I had for 12 years to be euthanized after he developed bladder cancer and they couldn't help him.Cry like a baby?You betcha.

Hang in there buddy.
Joe

sox83cubs84
03-29-2011, 01:28 PM
Chris-
That sucks.They're part of the family,and when they die,it hurts just as much.Been there myself..had to take my beagle I had for 12 years to be euthanized after he developed bladder cancer and they couldn't help him.Cry like a baby?You betcha.

Hang in there buddy.
Joe

Joe:

My sympathies are extended to both of you. I know that feeling as well...I shed many tears as a 20-year-old when my beagle, Lucky, had to be put down due to a heart attack. I also had to let 3 living dogs go after a spat between my wife and I (since resolved) caused her to move out and left me in a house I couldn't pay for without her help One found a home, one ran away, and the third died of a grand mal seizure 48 hours after being given to a shelter. I still haven't gotten over the last three and likely never will...it has soured me like no other life experience I've ever endured.

Dave Miedema

xpress34
03-29-2011, 01:33 PM
Smitty,

Please e-mail me. Thanks.

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

Ron -

eMail sent.

- Smitty

xpress34
03-29-2011, 01:34 PM
Joe and Dave -

Thanks for the kind words... it means a lot.

All the best -

Smitty

LastingsMilledge85
03-29-2011, 02:14 PM
Joe and Dave -

Thanks for the kind words... it means a lot.

All the best -

Smitty

Read your blog...good stuff, and you were very fortunate to get McKenry's auto since he was traded not too long after your trip. Nice story and best wishes.

jobathenut
03-29-2011, 09:58 PM
Hey joe-I sent you a "PM" as you asked.Just making sure you got it my friend-
Chris-

Hang in there buddy.
Joe