PDA

View Full Version : Diamondbacks Fan Fest 2011

godwulf
02-13-2011, 07:19 PM
Fan Fest yesterday was, as always, fun but exhausting. At least I didn’t almost cripple myself this time carrying huge, framed photos three blocks to my car. (But anticipating the need to do so, I did park closer this year.) They did have a couple of life-sized metal standups of departed players Brandon Webb and Chris Snyder at the Yard Sale, but the Augie Ojeda standup that I coveted had already been sold by the time I got in. (I hear that Augie’s gone back to the Cubs, by the way. Maybe they got his standup, too.)

As for other non-GU stuff, they had the usual selection of leftover SGAs - t-shirts, bobbleheads, water bottles, cups, posters, etc. Tons of signed store jerseys. I think they might have actually sold the last of the plates and other dinnerware with the old team colors that they’ve been trying to get rid of since ‘07; at 2 for a quarter, I even bought a few plates, myself.

The only “game worn” jerseys they had were seven or eight b.p. jerseys of long-time bullpen coach and catcher Glenn Sherlock and Jeff Motuzas, and some former coaches…the only player jersey was from pitcher Bryan Augenstein; all were priced at $80. I might have actually sprung for one of the Motuzas jerseys, but they had zero signs of wear or washing, so were “game issued” at best.

There may have been more helmets before I got in, but by the time I had a chance to look, there were only a couple - one of Chris Snyder’s, and one without a number, for $40 each and both cracked almost completely in two. No interest.

Then I got to the bats, and there I met with more success. There were four barrels of them, mostly Conor Jackson and Chad Tracy, both of whom are already well represented in my collection, and quite a few others of even less interest, but I did manage to dig out seven bats that I’m very pleased with, and at excellent prices.

For $40, a Cole Gillespie Hoosier bat; for $30 each, a Rusty Ryal B45, and a Josh Whitesell B45, with a winged B45 logo that I don’t think I’ve seen before; for $20 each, a Josh Wilson Easton with a nice tape job and ridiculous pine tar, and a Brent Mayne Rawlings bat; for $15, an Alan Zinter LS from ’05. Also for $15 - a ’Vaqueros de Bayamon’ (Puerto Rican Winter League) team bat that I’m very happy with, to add to my small Caribbean Baseball collection. My first thought when I saw what it was, was of Carlos Baerga, who played for the Diamondbacks in ‘03 and ‘04, and who was an owner-player-manager of that very club; sure enough, when I pulled the price tag off the end off the knob, there was Baerga’s ‘3’. Very cool.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1dc32b3127ccefc0fc9f991a500000030O02EbsmzVu0ZA9 vPhw/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1dc32b3127ccefc0f1142104200000030O02EbsmzVu0ZA9 vPhw/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

I also picked up some older locker tags, at a buck each, of some players that I’m sure a lot of Diamondbacks fans don’t even remember, but I do.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1dc32b3127ccefc0ef138300400000030O02EbsmzVu0ZA9 vPhw/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

As always, they had many tables filled with signed baseballs of former players, priced from $50 (for Luis Gonzalez and a couple of others), with the vast majority being only 5 or 10 bucks. I picked up nine balls of guys I’d missed getting when they were here, but by the time I got home and rested, I’d forgotten who half of them were and couldn’t make out the signatures. Fortunately, every one had an MLB authentication sticker, so a few minutes online and I’d ID’ed them all.

In order to address fan complaints from previous years, regarding all of the autograph tickets being sold out so quickly, they limited the number of tickets one person could buy to eight - two tickets for each of the four sessions, and they had to be for the same table. So, in other words, they had ten players signing per session, two per table at five tables, but you had to pick one table out of five to buy your two tickets for. So if two players you really wanted to get were signing at different tables during the same session, you were out of luck. Still, it makes sense, as they want to give more fans the opportunity to get at least some autographs at Fan Fest; they don’t open the gates till 11 o’clock, but in previous years, if you weren’t in line at sun up, you were essentially screwed.

Anyway, it’s all for charity, the tickets are only five bucks, and I wasn’t about to let it, or much of anything else, stress me. I had a car trunk full of bats, and was only able to get four of them signed (my Matt Williams ‘98 and ‘01 bats, and one each of Gerardo Parra and Kevin Mulvey), but I got to meet one of our new coaches, Eric Young, who seems like a great guy. I told him that I’d watched EY Jr. play in the Fall League in ‘09, and that Junior had really lighted up, and gotten a big grin on his face, every time a fan had mentioned having watched his old man play Baseball, and the coach laughed and said, “That’s my kid!” He didn’t have a ballpoint to sign my baseball with, so I gave him mine and told him to keep it, and just that little gesture prompted him to ask me my name and shake my hand. I also got baseballs signed by Ian Kennedy, team newcomer David Hernandez, and our second-baseman Kelly Johnson, with whom I tried to have a brief conversation, but who might as well have been stone deaf for all the reaction I got from him. Harumph. Well, overall, it was a great day, as Fan Fests should be.

Lokee
02-13-2011, 07:53 PM
Sounds like a fun time. thanks for sharing :)

Klattsy
02-13-2011, 08:18 PM
Did you happen to see anything of Trent Oeltjen? I know you're on the look out too :)

godwulf
02-13-2011, 10:18 PM
Did you happen to see anything of Trent Oeltjen? I know you're on the look out too :)

Not a glimmer, unfortunately. I'm sure his stuff will surface, though, if we wait long enough.

treant985
02-15-2011, 08:43 AM
Guess there wasn't any Brandon Allen stuff, either? I guess he probably wasn't there long enough.

OaklandAsFan
02-15-2011, 12:18 PM
Fan Fest yesterday was, as always, fun but exhausting. At least I didn’t almost cripple myself this time carrying huge, framed photos three blocks to my car. (But anticipating the need to do so, I did park closer this year.) They did have a couple of life-sized metal standups of departed players Brandon Webb and Chris Snyder at the Yard Sale, but the Augie Ojeda standup that I coveted had already been sold by the time I got in. (I hear that Augie’s gone back to the Cubs, by the way. Maybe they got his standup, too.)

As for other non-GU stuff, they had the usual selection of leftover SGAs - t-shirts, bobbleheads, water bottles, cups, posters, etc. Tons of signed store jerseys. I think they might have actually sold the last of the plates and other dinnerware with the old team colors that they’ve been trying to get rid of since ‘07; at 2 for a quarter, I even bought a few plates, myself.

The only “game worn” jerseys they had were seven or eight b.p. jerseys of long-time bullpen coach and catcher Glenn Sherlock and Jeff Motuzas, and some former coaches…the only player jersey was from pitcher Bryan Augenstein; all were priced at $80. I might have actually sprung for one of the Motuzas jerseys, but they had zero signs of wear or washing, so were “game issued” at best.

There may have been more helmets before I got in, but by the time I had a chance to look, there were only a couple - one of Chris Snyder’s, and one without a number, for $40 each and both cracked almost completely in two. No interest.

Then I got to the bats, and there I met with more success. There were four barrels of them, mostly Conor Jackson and Chad Tracy, both of whom are already well represented in my collection, and quite a few others of even less interest, but I did manage to dig out seven bats that I’m very pleased with, and at excellent prices.

For $40, a Cole Gillespie Hoosier bat; for $30 each, a Rusty Ryal B45, and a Josh Whitesell B45, with a winged B45 logo that I don’t think I’ve seen before; for $20 each, a Josh Wilson Easton with a nice tape job and ridiculous pine tar, and a Brent Mayne Rawlings bat; for $15, an Alan Zinter LS from ’05. Also for $15 - a ’Vaqueros de Bayamon’ (Puerto Rican Winter League) team bat that I’m very happy with, to add to my small Caribbean Baseball collection. My first thought when I saw what it was, was of Carlos Baerga, who played for the Diamondbacks in ‘03 and ‘04, and who was an owner-player-manager of that very club; sure enough, when I pulled the price tag off the end off the knob, there was Baerga’s ‘3’. Very cool.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1dc32b3127ccefc0fc9f991a500000030O02EbsmzVu0ZA9 vPhw/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1dc32b3127ccefc0f1142104200000030O02EbsmzVu0ZA9 vPhw/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

I also picked up some older locker tags, at a buck each, of some players that I’m sure a lot of Diamondbacks fans don’t even remember, but I do.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1dc32b3127ccefc0ef138300400000030O02EbsmzVu0ZA9 vPhw/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

As always, they had many tables filled with signed baseballs of former players, priced from $50 (for Luis Gonzalez and a couple of others), with the vast majority being only 5 or 10 bucks. I picked up nine balls of guys I’d missed getting when they were here, but by the time I got home and rested, I’d forgotten who half of them were and couldn’t make out the signatures. Fortunately, every one had an MLB authentication sticker, so a few minutes online and I’d ID’ed them all.

In order to address fan complaints from previous years, regarding all of the autograph tickets being sold out so quickly, they limited the number of tickets one person could buy to eight - two tickets for each of the four sessions, and they had to be for the same table. So, in other words, they had ten players signing per session, two per table at five tables, but you had to pick one table out of five to buy your two tickets for. So if two players you really wanted to get were signing at different tables during the same session, you were out of luck. Still, it makes sense, as they want to give more fans the opportunity to get at least some autographs at Fan Fest; they don’t open the gates till 11 o’clock, but in previous years, if you weren’t in line at sun up, you were essentially screwed.

Anyway, it’s all for charity, the tickets are only five bucks, and I wasn’t about to let it, or much of anything else, stress me. I had a car trunk full of bats, and was only able to get four of them signed (my Matt Williams ‘98 and ‘01 bats, and one each of Gerardo Parra and Kevin Mulvey), but I got to meet one of our new coaches, Eric Young, who seems like a great guy. I told him that I’d watched EY Jr. play in the Fall League in ‘09, and that Junior had really lighted up, and gotten a big grin on his face, every time a fan had mentioned having watched his old man play Baseball, and the coach laughed and said, “That’s my kid!” He didn’t have a ballpoint to sign my baseball with, so I gave him mine and told him to keep it, and just that little gesture prompted him to ask me my name and shake my hand. I also got baseballs signed by Ian Kennedy, team newcomer David Hernandez, and our second-baseman Kelly Johnson, with whom I tried to have a brief conversation, but who might as well have been stone deaf for all the reaction I got from him. Harumph. Well, overall, it was a great day, as Fan Fests should be.

I went to the fanfest as well and picked up a couple of things. I didn't bother with the autograph lines because I had heard that Gibby was requiring all players to sign autographs after workouts at the new stadium so I figure I will get any graphs I want up there this spring.

Picked up a couple of bats a Ryal B45, Conor Jackson already signed unused, Doug Davis and the Alex Romero America's Bat company bat (never had that brand before but they wanted over a hundred bucks for it in the store during the season so when I saw it in the bucket for 30 I went for it.) Also picked up a Conor Jackson autographed helmet and a helmet with the number 18 on it (cannot remember who used that number though)

godwulf
02-15-2011, 02:51 PM
Picked up a couple of bats a Ryal B45, Conor Jackson already signed unused, Doug Davis and the Alex Romero America's Bat company bat (never had that brand before but they wanted over a hundred bucks for it in the store during the season so when I saw it in the bucket for 30 I went for it.) Also picked up a Conor Jackson autographed helmet and a helmet with the number 18 on it (cannot remember who used that number though)

Chad Tracy wore '18'. You must have gotten in pretty early - well, bypassing the autograph sales windows would explain that! - as I didn't even see the Conor Jackson helmet. I have his ST batting helmet from '08.

I think I saw both the Romero and Davis bats, but didn't realize that the Romero was a brand that I don't have of his (I've got one of his Rawlings bats that I paid 40 for at the Fan Fest in 2009, and a Trinity that I paid 20 for at the Fan Fest in 2010).

I also didn't realize that I don't have a Doug Davis DBacks bat - the one I have, and which I got him to sign when he was here, is from the Brewers. (If you don't mind my asking, is that the DD bat on eBay now? Hey, if it is, and it doesn't sell, maybe we can work out a trade. Do you need a Rob Ryan Oakland bat, or a Hensley Meulens Yankees?)

The Team Shop prices are insane. $125 for practically anybody. The last time I was in there, a couple of weeks ago, the sales guy was saying, "Who are you looking for? I've got a whole barrel in the back room." I got him to drag the barrel out, and it was just about all firewood, and I'm pretty easy to please. (I mean, I love Greg Colbrunn, but he's been gone for a long time and his bats are not worth $125.)

OaklandAsFan
02-15-2011, 03:50 PM
nope, thats not my bat on eBay. I rarely if ever sell my stuff.

My mother and I got there as soon as the doors opened up for the season ticket holders (you probably saw us she was on a red 4 wheel Pride Scooter) It took a few minutes to get down to the field via the elevators and a very narrow ramp from the visitors dugout (so narrow that she crashed it and cracked a piece of the fairing on it and I talked security to letting us use the elevator out in RF to get back to the concourse when we were done.

We made a beeline right for the garage sale and I was actually pretty disappointed in it. I'm used to the A's memorabilia sales during their fanfest where there are jerseys, bats, helmets of every player and they are usually pretty cheap. I didn't see one authentic jersey while I was there.

We did donate the $40 to get the framed Gonzo retirement plaques and got a kick out of the autographed gonzo bobbleheads that all were "slightly" broken. I also got a kick out of the framed team signed jersey's that they wanted $225 for. Maybe with the frame it was worth it but a Dbacks team signed jersey is not worth $225 IMHO.