PDA

View Full Version : Do you like your stuff signed or unsigned?

mad87man
02-11-2011, 11:22 PM
I was wondering how do all you guys like your game used stuff? Signed or not signed. I personally don't like it. I think it takes something away from the jersey, helmet, or w/e one might have game used. I like it to be as close to the thing that was on the field as possible. So i was wondering do you like it signed or even maybe getting it signed yourself? I would like to hear some stories and opinions.

rangersfan1214
02-11-2011, 11:24 PM
I personally like my items signed. To me its kind of a mix of the thought that the player was able to see his item again and approve that it is actually an item they used

Shipp_96
02-11-2011, 11:28 PM
It depends, for me personally. If it is something from a player I love, then I do like it being signed. I think it adds to it. However, if it's from a generic player, one I'm not enamored with, or time frame, then a signature does me no good.

An example of this is I just got a pair of Hines Ward GU gloves, and love that they are signed being a Steelers fan. I also bought some Mike Williams (Tampa) Syracuse GU gloves, not signed, glad they are not.

I also collect NAVY game used helmets, jerseys, cleats, what ever, since I live in Annapolis and can buy direct from the team. I have none of these items signed. But if I were to get a Ricky Dobbs item this year, I would like that signed, because he was my favorite and a class guy for the Midshipman.

That's my two cents.

spartanservitto
02-12-2011, 12:03 AM
Signed.

It stinks because I love all the bats in this photo, and sometimes they are cheaper not signed. But it looks incomplete. How would I ever get Griffey? Also Jeter is wayyyyy overpriced.. and Sammy Sosa has fallen off the planet. I try to buy my items already signed.

-Tony

OaklandAsFan
02-12-2011, 12:07 AM
signed definately.

the few bats that hang on my walls that are not signed just drive me nuts.

gingi79
02-12-2011, 12:08 AM
In the Hockey community, signed usually drops the value like a stone when it comes to jerseys. People sheepishly admit it when something is signed then quickly offer 10 ways to remove it lol

Manram
02-12-2011, 01:40 AM
Unsigned. For some reason i don't like the fact that a game used item is signed. i feel it takes away from the bat some way........

HawaiiSportsNut
02-12-2011, 02:56 AM
I like it signed, esspecially if I can get it in person from the athlete.

UGA016
02-12-2011, 09:50 AM
I really think to each his /her own when it comes to GU items being signed. I personally think if you are gonna get a GU item (jersey, helmet, shoes, gloves, etc.) signed you really need a good detailed signature. Get it done in person were the player can take his time. Not a spur of the moment thing. I think it adds alot of value to the item with it being signed. Take for instance any Michael Jordan GU item. It almost always adds value to the item. As for me with my UGA GU Items I usually try and get the items signed. the players are always intrigued at How I got it? And they sometimes even remember that particular Jersey or Helmet. It kind of binds us together. So I say Signed......

Klattsy
02-12-2011, 06:28 PM
I like it signed providing I have obtained the sig myself. I would never buy anything already signed unless it had iron clad COA/LOA.

Mark.

vballGuy
02-12-2011, 08:49 PM
I like my jerseys unsigned. With that said, sometimes you have to buy a jersey that is signed because of its rarity.

GotInk?
02-12-2011, 09:18 PM
I personally do NOT like my game used items signed. I do have two bats signed but have had the opportunity to get a good portion of my collection signed by the players I have and did not do it. My greatest fear is deterioration of the ink over time. Materials like wood, nylon, cotton, etc. don't always accept and/or hold ink well and I would hate for a signature that looks good today to look like an ink blot in a few years time...

As for the two items I do have signed, both were obtained in person of which one was a birthday present from the player...

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images/show/BigSix/the-phelps-collection/2060/game-used-bat-2007-yankees

panthrotc
02-27-2011, 12:24 PM
signed. i just got the 97' (3rd down) done at spring training. it was a sore thumb being the only one not signed.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/The%20McGwire%20Collection/Autographed%20Memorabilia/GAME%20USED/1990002.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/The%20McGwire%20Collection/Autographed%20Memorabilia/GAME%20USED/bats007.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/The%20McGwire%20Collection/Autographed%20Memorabilia/GAME%20USED/ST2011139.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/The%20McGwire%20Collection/Autographed%20Memorabilia/GAME%20USED/bats006.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/The%20McGwire%20Collection/Autographed%20Memorabilia/GAME%20USED/bats005.jpg

Bravesfan
02-27-2011, 01:16 PM
I like it signed the best but it really doesn't bother me one way or the other as long as I am confident that it was game used.

dwolfe12345
02-27-2011, 01:20 PM
I personally only buy unsigned memorabilia. I then get all of mine signed in person. If I had the chance to get an item from someone that has passed then I would prefer it to be unsigned.

legaleagle92481
02-27-2011, 01:30 PM
Unsigned. 1. It leaves the item as it originally was, players don't use signed items in games. 2. It is worth more because if you are selling a signed item there is enough supply of most guys that the unsigned collectors won't buy it because its signed. The signed guys will still be interested because they can get it signed themselves assuming as most stuff is it is of a living player. 3. A signature can ruin an item. Ive gotten sigs on nongame used stuff where the signature bled or the players hands were dirty and he got what was on his hands on the item or the player signed it sloppily.

Mark17
02-27-2011, 01:49 PM
I like signed bats and I HATE signed jerseys.

rays54
02-27-2011, 03:27 PM
I agree with legaleagle.

Chris78
02-27-2011, 10:17 PM
Regular game used jerseys and bats used throughout the season--unsigned.

Specialty jerseys (normally for a charity auction and worn once) or a bat that was given to me by the player themselves--signed.

Chris

shoremen44
02-27-2011, 10:32 PM
I would say it really depends upon the item....

Most of my bats are unsigned, but I have fallen in love with some that are signed...

I'll tell you actually what I really dont like... when players sign and then write "Game Used"

I cant stand the look of Evan Longoria's bats... all autographed, and all Game Used... bothers me

AWA85
02-28-2011, 07:14 AM
After being in the crowd for years of getting game used items signed, I have now jumped to the other side somewhat. I am in the mode of switching to having all of my bats unsigned. Like many have said, I like the look of the bat without the big signature and more like it just left the field.

Jerseys and helmets and odd items I like having those signed as it gives more of unique display to them. Although when I look at how my Prince Amukamara Nebraska jersey signature came out, I start to have second thoughts about jerseys. :( May have to start another thread about removing paint pen from football jersey numbers!

Hog
02-28-2011, 11:50 AM
Signed for sure. And if it is inscribed with a date or milestone ever better.

frikativ54
02-28-2011, 12:06 PM
I typically like my items unsigned. It just cuts an extra level of worry out; my unsigned items will never have the signature fading issue. There are other times where a signature and/or inscription ruins the piece. Especially those that are huge, have long inscriptions, or are otherwise unsightly. Also, I like my items just as they came off the field.

For me, signatures are like tattoos. I generally don't prefer them, they are difficult to remove, but they can be tastefully done. The same is the case with autographs. I have some autographed game used items I really like, but the signature is very tasteful. It doesn't have an inscription, it is nicely placed (like on the toe of a game-used shoe), and it doesn't detract from the interest of the piece.

-Frik

NEFAN
02-28-2011, 02:24 PM
I prefer it unsigned, but, that would not stop me from buying a signed item.

geoff
02-28-2011, 03:24 PM
I like both Unsigned And Signed.Bats I would rather have Signed but most Of my Bats Are not Yet Signed.Jerseys I like Unsigned.

Thanks
Geoff

Jules9
02-28-2011, 10:13 PM
Unsigned. 1. It leaves the item as it originally was, players don't use signed items in games.

What do you mean they don't used signed items in games...check out the Stars shoulder logo ;) If I remember the story correctly, the jersey wasn't signed by Nieuwendyk but another member of the Stars signed the jersey on the logo. I forget the reason why the player signed the jersey.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c273/John1913/aaaaaa.jpg

Jules9
02-28-2011, 10:35 PM
I mostly collect hockey and as far as having items signed I like the following.

Jerseys-----NO

Bats or Sticks--if it's already signed it's OK but I probably wouldn't get it signed

Baseball-hockey gloves, skates,shoes--- -NO

Baseball Football Hockey helmets----Yes and No I just had a hockey helmet signed because the team logos were removed. Plus the autos can be removed easier on a helmet

Used pucks, baseballs, footballs----Yes

Milestone pucks, baseballs, footballs-----No. I printed out a couple of boxscores from the games and had the player sign the bottom of the page and inscribe the milestone.... ex. 144th career goal