PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward game used pics

lambertisgod58
02-10-2011, 05:15 PM

Here are some pics....

Shipp_96
02-10-2011, 08:35 PM
That was a sweet set on JOS, especially being signed for that particular game!

I have a pair from the 2009 season of Hines GU gloves coming tomorrow as well, I will post some picts once I receive them.

Really would love to get some of his GU cleats, but they are simply out of my price range for now.

Great pickup.

lambertisgod58
02-11-2011, 08:22 AM
gonna see Hines at a signing in April in NJ. Hoping to get his guarantee that these were his. Plus some pics with him and the cleats/gloves. These are for my 6yr old son. We were at that game. He doesn't know he's getting them yet. What I would have done for a game used anything from the likes of ANY of the 70's Steelers.......

Shipp_96
02-11-2011, 10:23 AM
That's what got me started! Not a gamer, but when I was a kid (raised in western PA), my Dad took me to training camp in Latrobe at St.Vincent's in '79 and '80, great years as that was the Steelers team!

I still have those photos of me and Franco, Lambert "or Mr. Lambert" as I was told by Jack with a stern laugh. My favorite memory was of Bennie Cunningham, a guy my Dad was not fond of due to drops and injury. But my father, a small man at 5'6" on a good day, was holding me on his shoulders to get a better view of the camp field. Bennie walked by, asked if it were OK, and put me on his shoulder pads down to the field to shake hands and get my football signed with Franco, Ham, Lambert, Bennie and John Stallworth.

I was only 8, but I remember that day pretty vividly, and have been a die-hard Stillers fan ever since. I met Hines two years ago at a signing. Very nice guy, loves his fans.

lambertisgod58
02-11-2011, 12:39 PM
WOW!! great story and even better memories. Cunningham was pretty good from what I can remember. I've been very fortunate to have had the opportunities to have met quite a few Steelers over the years. Lambert being my favorite and Franco a close second.

Shipp_96
02-11-2011, 05:35 PM
As promised, my Hines Ward signed game used gloves from '09 season. Got them today, and LOVE them! Fairly easy photo match, he wore them most of the season. Been a pretty crap week for me (and not just the Super Bowl result), so these were a welcome addition. Very happy with these, now saving for a pair of GU cleats!

Also, lambertisgod58, I agree with you that Franco and Jack are two of the nicer 70's HOF Steelers. I re-meet them at signings recently, both were very accommodating about taking photos with them, talking with you for a couple minutes, etc. I would put Greg Lloyd and Rod Woodson up there as well. Hines, The Bus, Mike Wallace, Ryan Clark and Lamar Woodley would be next on my list of modern players that were nice. Troy seemed nice, but he is so introverted that it seems painful for him to be the center of attention in public without the uniform on.

lambertisgod58
02-11-2011, 06:29 PM
Those gloves are real cool. Anything Steelers tends to make things a little bit better for me too. I agree with your point of view on the Steelers you mentioned. The ones I could care less for, as far as the ones I've met, are Swann and Blount. Both very egotistical. Not worth my time or money.

jobathenut
02-11-2011, 07:21 PM
I hope its alright but i just had to tune in.As i read you guys talking steelers football and just had to talk about my experience.Me and my girlfriend went to the steelers super bowl reuinon show in pittsburgh in the summer of 1999.And it was our first time meeting any steelers.And i got to meet my boyhood heros jack lambert and the last great mike webster.I had been told horror stories about lambert,that he is moody at shows etc.But he was really nice to me,and i was telling him how much he ment to me.And they lady running the table said "we have to keep the line going".And mr lambert said to her,"its my line and i'll tell you when to keep it moving,i am talking to butch right now.He called me by name and i thought that was just classie.And meeting mike webster,i had tears in my eyes.I could tell he was hurting and my friend took a photo of me and him shaking hands.And mr webster said "oh,i'll stand up".And i told him,no you dont have to stand up for me and it was a honor just to finally meet you.And he told me the honor was all mine.The disapointment was terry bradshaw,who would'nt even turn to look at my girlfriend when she got our photo signed.And yes lynne swann was a little of a ego,as i was taking photos of my photo being signed and he said,"i think you took enough photos".Sorry i went off topic.
Those gloves are real cool. Anything Steelers tends to make things a little bit better for me too. I agree with your point of view on the Steelers you mentioned. The ones I could care less for, as far as the ones I've met, are Swann and Blount. Both very egotistical. Not worth my time or money.

Shipp_96
02-11-2011, 11:12 PM
Hey lambertisgod58 & jobathenut,

Definitely not a private conversation; the more Steeler fans the merrier :D. Great stories from both of you guys! Always love to talk to fellow Steeler fans. I have pictures of Iron Mike Webster from camp back in '80, but never really got to talk to him (from what I can recall). A real shame how it all ended for him. And I think Jack gets a bad rap, because I met him twice recently and both times it was a pleasure.

Shame what you say about Blount, lambertisgod58, because he was always one of my favorite players to watch, and he charges next to nothing for a HOFer. Never got him though. Swann, now he charges an OUTRAGEOUS rate, so I never dreamed of getting him. I think, really, why so much? Stallworth was better than you, truth be told. jobathenut, I have heard Bradshaw is kind of an SOB, but I did snap a pict of him at a recent show (for free), because again, he charges WAY too much.

It's curious you both say the same thing about Swann. I had a buddy, when I lived in California, and he loathed Swann. He was an SC grad too, and just talked venomously about Lynn. Guess there was something to it after all.

I had two players that were jerks, LC Greenwood, and James Harrison. Now Greenwood nearly ran me over at training camp way back when, and he treated everyone pretty much like ants. And James, he was kind of OK, but his agent was a 5'0", loud mouth a-hole that was just a prick. And though I got my helmet signed, I heard many people never got there things signed, as he came late and left early. I felt Santonio Holmes was indifferent. Did not look up for a pict, did not smile. And I was one of maybe fifteen people that got him (pre-Super Bowl MVP). Don't really miss him being a Steeler.

So did your son enjoy the Buffalo game? I remember my first live game with my Dad, Steelers-Chiefs. Mark Malone :mad:, and aging John Stallworth and Lambert losing on a blocked FG, blocked punt and kickoff return. Still was awesome, at Three Rivers, no less.

Sheesh, I could be on here all day! If either of you guys want to email me personally and talk more, my email is: ttorina23@excite.com. I have some cool photos of myself and many of the Steelers I could swap!

ironmanfan
02-11-2011, 11:20 PM
As promised, my Hines Ward signed game used gloves from '09 season. Got them today, and LOVE them! Fairly easy photo match, he wore them most of the season.

Am I missing something? I see a style match but no photo match...

Shipp_96
02-12-2011, 12:23 AM
When I buy GU direct from the team or player, usually I do not personally care if I can match it up exactly, since I know they are legit. But since you were so curious, I did some research...

mbenga28
02-12-2011, 08:10 AM
the bottom end of the cross looks much thicker in the photo than on the glove.

LWMM
02-12-2011, 12:06 PM
When I buy GU direct from the team or player, usually I do not personally care if I can match it up exactly, since I know they are legit. But since you were so curious, I did some research...

I'm pretty sure that those are actually different gloves. Couple differences:

1) On yours, the horizontal part of the cross appears to be in the top half of the white square, while in the picture, it appears to be in the bottom half.

2) Under the bottom of the vertical line, there is a decent amount of white on your glove. In the picture there appears to be little if any.

3) The 'J' and the 'W' appear to be closer to the horizontal line on your glove than in the picture.

Nice gloves, though! I have no reason to doubt that they are game worn, I just don't think that's a photo match.

Shipp_96
02-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the clarification, LWMM. Yeah, I have no doubt they are real, either, being they are directly from the player's site. Honestly, I could care less for an exact "photo match"; guess that was poor terminology to use.

I found another pict that looks close to what I own, but again, when I look at the slight differences you pointed out, it seems to be the case with this photo as well.

legaleagle92481
02-12-2011, 01:04 PM
While photomatching is imprecise because even if the item was suppossed to be worn in a specific game and the pics one can find don't match up it does not mean that said player did not change jerseys, gloves, cleats or whatever during that game. Also sometimes photos unless they are up close shots it is very hard to tell if something matches up. That being said I disagree with the statement that if you buy directly from the team player you know they are real. There have been many instances of players and teams selling items as game used that were not. For example the Brett Farve jersey scandal that is well documented on here and SCD, or some of Arods items or I believe the Jets were selling jerseys as gamers that werent several years ago before they hooked up with JO. To stick ones head in the sand in this hobby is very dangerous.

lambertisgod58
02-13-2011, 03:28 PM
Hey all...I've enclosed my pics for your viewing. The pic of the cleats is of the pair I just received. And the photo of Hines Ward is from the 11-28-10 game in Buffalo, NY. If you look at the end of his right cleat in the front, you'll see black staining consistent with that of the cleats I received. I couldn't get the picture big enough, but it came from GettyImages. If you go there, you can upsize the pic and you'll see it plain as day. I'll be seeing Hines in person in a few months. I will get his confirmation one way or the other. The last pic is of my son Bryce, Bradshaw and I. I've met him twice now. First time he was a real a**hole and the second time, probably because of my son, he couldn't have been any nicer. I'm willing to talk Steelers football anytime.....LambertIsGod58@yahoo.com

Shipp_96
02-13-2011, 09:44 PM
Great picture with you and your son! Glad to hear Terry was nice (for once) that day with your boy present. As a fellow Penn Stater as well, love the hat! Nice to see you got the shoes from Hines. I will respond to your email with some of my Steelers player photos.

dplettn
02-13-2011, 11:36 PM
gonna see Hines at a signing in April in NJ. Hoping to get his guarantee that these were his. Plus some pics with him and the cleats/gloves. These are for my 6yr old son. We were at that game. He doesn't know he's getting them yet. What I would have done for a game used anything from the likes of ANY of the 70's Steelers.......

As painful as it is being a Bengals fan to compliment the Steelers, it is so nice seeing those gathering the winners' gear doing it for all the right reasons! Wishing you and your son the very best! In some small way, I wish I'd been so blessed to be born a Steeler fan! I root for Roethlisberger as a Miami alum, but I, and my kids, are loyal Bengal lifers.

lambertisgod58
02-14-2011, 06:27 AM
I do feel very fortunate that I chose to be a Steelers fan when I was very young. Not only because of the success they've had, but because of the quality players we've had over the years. Enduring the 80's as a Steelers fan wasn't easy. The Steelers of the 70's will never be duplicated. Although I dislike every team in the ol' AFC Central and now the AFC North, I respect every team. And there are players on other teams I do cheer for.....Terrell Owens, Ray Lewis.

mbenga28
02-14-2011, 01:56 PM
so right now, it's just Hines Ward selling his own items or are other Steelers available through their own website?

jobathenut
02-14-2011, 07:04 PM
Yeah being a steelers fan in the 80's was not easy, was it.Heck even the 90's.We sure had to go threw some bad seasons to get to the good ones now.I am just glad i got a chance to cheer for them again.As i have been a steelers fan since the 70's so i got to cheer for them then and get to cheer for them now.I think the team from the 70's could have duplicated if it was not for free agency (ruined the game) but if we would have beat the packers.Well they would calling it a ben ben dyansty....so close:mad:
I do feel very fortunate that I chose to be a Steelers fan when I was very young. Not only because of the success they've had, but because of the quality players we've had over the years. Enduring the 80's as a Steelers fan wasn't easy. The Steelers of the 70's will never be duplicated. Although I dislike every team in the ol' AFC Central and now the AFC North, I respect every team. And there are players on other teams I do cheer for.....Terrell Owens, Ray Lewis.

Shipp_96
02-14-2011, 07:37 PM
mbenga28 (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/member.php?u=3862) http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/images/icons/icon1.gif Re: Hines Ward game used pics
so right now, it's just Hines Ward selling his own items or are other Steelers available through their own website?

Hi mbenga28,

From what I have been able to find, it's just Hines (for now). I know he is doing it to support his charity, helping hands. The only other items I have seen have been at JO Sports, and even then it was mostly Steelers that were no longer with the team (Santonio, Willie Parker, Tyrone Carter). Even with Ryan Clark, his stuff went up when they thought he was going to sign with Miami, but at the last moment of course he stayed in Pittsburgh. I'm pretty sure lambertisgod got his Hines items at JO, however.

Jo Sports have lots of nice Bengal items: cleats, gloves and jerseys from some quality players like Ocho "now I'm Chad again" and Carson Palmer, among others. My cousin is from near Cincy, and though he rubbed in it pretty hard in the 80's (including sending me the then new striped helmet logo hat for Christmas), he is awfully quite these days :rolleyes:.

Shipp_96
02-14-2011, 08:05 PM
@jobathenut,

You are right, the 80's were down right awful with QBs like Stoudt, Malone, Woodley, Campbell and Brister. But even then, they managed to get to an AFC Championship and shock some playoff teams like the great :rolleyes: Elway in Denver, and beat Glanville in Houston during the wild card round.

In the 90's, the team losing in '94 to San Diego in the AFC Championship and in '97 to Denver both stung, but neither were as bad as Neil "f@ck!n%" O'Donnell throwing two picks to a wide open Larry Brown in Super Bowl XXX.

But, through it all, there were bright spots, like them being the only team to beat the '84 Niners, at Candlestick no less. Or, beating Elway in his first ever playoff start. Plus, Blitzburgh in the 90's and that great defense with Rod Woodson, Carnell Lake, Greg Lloyd, Kevin Green, Chad Brown and Levon Kirkland giving a Dallas dynasty all it could handle in SB XXX. Man, good times!

legaleagle92481
02-15-2011, 01:10 AM

It is just Hines through what purports to be his official site. The prices are very high though $4,500 for a gamer! If this becomes a trend and the scarcity factor goes away don't see how that price holds up down the line. To correct the record last year JO sold other Steelers items including Troy Polamalu they just were very limited quantity and never made the website they sent around an email when they did it and there was some discussion on here about it.

mbenga28
02-15-2011, 07:13 AM
thanks what were the items and prices for Polamalu?

legaleagle92481
02-15-2011, 11:28 AM
thanks what were the items and prices for Polamalu?

I did not inquire because I am not a Steelers fan. They do not put prices in their emails. I heard second hand Polamalu was priced for a jersey the same as Adrian Peterson so like $7k plus. They had a bunch I will try to dig out the email that named the players.

legaleagle92481
02-15-2011, 12:51 PM
I did not inquire because I am not a Steelers fan. They do not put prices in their emails. I heard second hand Polamalu was priced for a jersey the same as Adrian Peterson so like $7k plus. They had a bunch I will try to dig out the email that named the players.

Ok I found the email the others were James Harrison and Lamar Woodley. What they had I have no idea.

yankees24
02-15-2011, 01:33 PM
has JO or any store sold Roethlisberger game used or game ready items?

legaleagle92481
02-15-2011, 01:46 PM
has JO or any store sold Roethlisberger game used or game ready items?

Only thing Ive seen were two pairs of pink cleats on NFL Auctions last season. Sold for $1,000s.

yankees24
02-15-2011, 02:20 PM
Only thing Ive seen were two pairs of pink cleats on NFL Auctions last season. Sold for $1,000s.

were they game used or game model?

legaleagle92481
02-15-2011, 03:42 PM
were they game used or game model?

Used I believe one went for like 6 grand the other about 1/2 that.

bondsfan
02-15-2011, 09:47 PM
They actually didn't get most of what they expected to. Neither Polamalu, Roethlisberger or Woodley was offered. They got a Harrison jersey in and the Holmes, Parker and Carter stuff that was offered on the site. That is pretty much it.

Shipp_96
02-16-2011, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the clarification, bondsfan, that was my understanding as well, except for the Harrison jersey.

Speaking of James Harrison:
JO did, however, just have a Harrison game worn helmet that must have lasted all of five seconds before being bought. It had no picture, went for $5000 and now all references to it are gone on their site. I really hope they put up the photos, even under the sold Steelers section, as I would love to see the details of the helmet.

bondsfan
02-16-2011, 03:14 PM
That helmet wasn't sold and is not in their possession yet. It was a listing error

mbenga28
02-16-2011, 03:25 PM
I have a question, if it's so hard to get Steelers game used items where are these other so called "game jerseys" you see listed on Ebay and other auction houses coming from? Are they being leaked from somewhere?

legaleagle92481
02-17-2011, 12:17 AM
They actually didn't get most of what they expected to. Neither Polamalu, Roethlisberger or Woodley was offered. They got a Harrison jersey in and the Holmes, Parker and Carter stuff that was offered on the site. That is pretty much it.

Like I said Im not a Steelers fan or collector I just repeated the email I got and a conversation I had with another member. Big Ben cleats were twice sold on NFL Auctions in 2009. They were game used signed and pink for breast cancer month. I believe a towel was offered as well. Granted these are not the most desirable items out there but at least it was something. Eventually all these guys stuff will hit the market. Before this year the Ravens and Packers were impossible to find. I mean when did you see a Reed or Lewis jersey? Now they are available and in this hobby once you take the genie out of the bottle he seldom is put back in, especially when there is huge money to be made. If I were a Steeler collector I would contact the agents of my favorite players and see if I could persuade them with cash to part with a jersey or something.