PDA

View Full Version : Oldest living former MLB player (101) passes away..

xpress34
02-09-2011, 06:36 PM
Classmate of President Nixon - fought in the Battle of the Bulge...

MLB article (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110209&content_id=16602258&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb)

- Smitty

nt_eagle
02-09-2011, 08:08 PM
As did 141-Game Winner Woodie Fryman, this past Friday. :(

sox83cubs84
02-09-2011, 09:12 PM
As did 141-Game Winner Woodie Fryman, this past Friday. :(

I have a memory of Fryman, from his rookie season.

In 1966, Fryman enjoyed a good rookie season, while my Cubs finished dead last in a 10-team league. One of the few higghts of the season was the late Ron Santo setting a team record with a 28-game hitting streak (since broken by Jerome Walton).

My father would take two days of his week's vacation back then (I was just short of turning 8) to take me to a Cubs game. The game was a Cubs loss, with Pittsburgh hurler Fryman ending Santo's streak.

One other memory of that day: in BP, I grabbed the first ever baseball of my life, a Roberto Clemente foul ball that bounced around in the seats, the first of the 1,769 I have caught or chased down in my life. I wish I still had it.:(

Dave Miedema

sox83cubs84
02-09-2011, 09:21 PM
I have a memory of Fryman, from his rookie season.

In 1966, Fryman enjoyed a good rookie season, while my Cubs finished dead last in a 10-team league. One of the few higghts of the season was the late Ron Santo setting a team record with a 28-game hitting streak (since broken by Jerome Walton).

My father would take two days of his week's vacation back then (I was just short of turning 8) to take me to a Cubs game. The game was a Cubs loss, with Pittsburgh hurler Fryman ending Santo's streak.

One other memory of that day: in BP, I grabbed the first ever baseball of my life, a Roberto Clemente foul ball that bounced around in the seats, the first of the 1,769 I have caught or chased down in my life. I wish I still had it.:(

Dave Miedema

Should be "highlights":o

Dave M.