PDA

View Full Version : Finally PhotoMatched a former SB MVP's jersey after 9 years

jake33
02-08-2011, 10:19 AM
One of my all time favorite Buccaneers is Dexter Jackson, even before he was Super Bowl 37 MVP. Despite the fact that I think Tampa wins the game without his 2 early interceptions, those two INT's were what tilted the game and set the tone.

Any ways, before that super bowl I ah d agame used jersey of jackson. It was a white jersey from 2000. It has the 00 tag and it was bought in late 2001, so it was for sure not a 2001 jersey. The nameplate also is "D.Jackson" in 2001, he had jsut "JACKSON". Getty images was no help. buccaneers.com even with their vast game photos had nothing. It made me realize how hard it is to get a photomatch of a safety. They are often away from the action, and usually not on a tv screen, even during a play.

The jersey has 2 notable marks both by the right sholder. One is a dark clay-like color by the TV numbers. The other one is a thin blue streak by the pirate ship between the ADIDAS logo and off to the left. Initially, I thought it was a detriot Lions blue. I checked those games and tampa wore red in 1 game and dexter did not play in the other game. After taking a magnifying glass to the blue streak about a year ago, it was a dark navy blue.

I then went into my Media guide to see game logs from the 2000 season. I saw that Dexter had 7 tackles at a game I was at in person during the 2000 season. November 19,2000 vs. The Bears. Tampa loses and it was an ugly game. I never wanted to watch that game again, I was so mad at the time from the loss to a bad Bears team lead by Shane Matthews. Of coarse it was cold weather which meant tampa had to lose 13-10.

So I forgot about this game, and I never saw it on TV since I was in person at the game (still have the ticket stub even). After narrowing down which gmae I thought it may be worn in, I ran down someone with a bevy of old bucs games on video. Video comes in the mail yesterday.

When I try to video/photo match, I will match a game in the 4th quarter and want it in rewind (since most game use would be in the 4th quarter). John Lynch got hurt in the game in the first quarter so jackson played most of the game. Saw a lot of "good camera shots" that made me think it could be the same jersey. However, there is a kick return by the Bears (Mylburn, I think) in the early 3rd quarter. Allen returns the ball to the 40 yard line and jackson came in and made an open field TD saving tackle. The replay shows Jackson tackle and slide across the "C" near mid field. And plow into the facemask of the returner. JAckson gets up and there is a perfect tight camera shot of the stain on the sholder AND the blue streak. Dead on photo match.

I have a few London Series Bucs game used jerseys and was able to match of of them easily, but matching this Jackson jersey was real rewarding and finally put to rest. Trying to narrow down the game AND find that game on video was a real treat and what makes this hobby such a blast.

Jags Fan Dan
02-08-2011, 10:45 AM
Good stuff, congrats on the match!

cliffjmp33
02-08-2011, 10:53 AM
Congrats Dan!

cliffjmp33
02-08-2011, 10:54 AM
Congrats Dan!
Sorry, I meant Jake! ... helps to learn how to read.