PDA

View Full Version : Joe L. Brown

b.heagy
08-20-2006, 06:33 AM
Hi guys,
Are there any records for Joe L. Brown? I have a LS 125 with the name in block letters. Any help is appreciated.

MSpecht
08-20-2006, 11:14 AM
Hi Bill--

I am not exactly sure to whom you are referring. There is no reference to Joe L. Brown in Baseball Library as a player with any Major League experience. Joe L. Brown was the General Manager of the Pittsburgh Pirates for over 20 years throughout the 1950's and 1960's, and is possibly the reference here. If the bat labeling is consistent with a labeling period within that era, it may be a commemorative, or other type of non-professional bat made up for the Pirates exec. By the way, Joe L. Brown was the son of the famous comedian Joe E. Brown.

Let me know the labeling period and see where it goes.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

b.heagy
08-20-2006, 11:51 AM
Mike,
Thanks for taking time out to respond. This one has me puzzled. It has labeling from the 1934-42 era (if I understand the labeling correctly). Knob is blank I can post some pics and specs later today.

b.heagy
08-20-2006, 03:40 PM
Mike,
Here are two pics of the bat. Short measuring at 33 inches. Has some minor grain checking on backside of barrel. Strikes me as an odd piece.

b.heagy
08-20-2006, 03:41 PM
Forgot the important part - Here are the pics

corsairs25
08-20-2006, 09:59 PM
Bill,
Here's a theory: Joe L Brown is the son of the once famous comedian Joe E Brown. The latter Brown made a few baseball movies (e.g. Alibi Ike) and became known as big baseball fan back in the 30's. I think he used to pal around with the ballplayers. Being a celebrity, maybe he had the bat made for his son way back when. You could probably write Joe L Brown and ask him if he knows anything about the bat. It would be a fine excuse to correspond with one of the most clear minded and gracious baseball executives I've ever encountered. You could probably reach him via the Pirates. It is, in any case, an interesting bat.
Mark

b.heagy
08-21-2006, 03:29 PM
Bill,
Here's a theory: Joe L Brown is the son of the once famous comedian Joe E Brown. The latter Brown made a few baseball movies (e.g. Alibi Ike) and became known as big baseball fan back in the 30's. I think he used to pal around with the ballplayers. Being a celebrity, maybe he had the bat made for his son way back when. You could probably write Joe L Brown and ask him if he knows anything about the bat. It would be a fine excuse to correspond with one of the most clear minded and gracious baseball executives I've ever encountered. You could probably reach him via the Pirates. It is, in any case, an interesting bat.
Mark

Mark,
Thanks for the response. Good theory, never thought of that. Could be a possibility. I will definatly try to get in touch and see where it leads.

Mike,
Do I have the labeling period correct?

The Lumber Company
08-26-2006, 03:20 PM
Bill,
Is this bat for sale?
Regards,
Marty

b.heagy
08-26-2006, 03:49 PM
Hi guys,
Are there any records for Joe L. Brown? I have a LS 125 with the name in block letters. Any help is appreciated.

Hi Marty,
Would love to hear from you. Feel free to send me an email.