PDA

View Full Version : '98 Rawlings knob code???

nationals2k9
02-01-2011, 01:34 PM
I have thought for some time I may have a chance at a match on my '98 Rawlings and the image on Getty dated April 5, 1998.

So I grabbed the bat and tried to get the best pic I could of the knob markings and haven't really concluded a whole lot. Basically I'm trying to see if it was made prior to Apr of '98 or I can discontinue this fun game.

I see a model '491B' and then a lone 'R' maybe for Ramirez?

Then I see what looks like (from L to R) a single '0' followed by two '0' one on top of the other... and then a '9' on top of a '3' on top of another '3.' Then we've got the '98' which I understand.

Can anyone make sense of this? I know from Dumb and Dumber that you can't triple stamp a double stamp :D

Thanks!

metsbats
02-01-2011, 10:35 PM
There's a good chance the bat was made prior to April 98 and was perhaps out of the first batch of bats made for Manny during spring training ( as evidenced by the low lot number 003). Regarding the "R" Rawlings has been known to deviate from their standard stamping on the knobs when they set up their mobile trucks at spring training camps making bats for players to try out.

nationals2k9
02-01-2011, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the info.... it sounds like my case is still open, ha.

I guess I will need to acquire the full size Getty image to know anything more definite. Just wanted to see what all I could find out before doing so.

Rob L
02-02-2011, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the info.... it sounds like my case is still open, ha.

I guess I will need to acquire the full size Getty image to know anything more definite. Just wanted to see what all I could find out before doing so.

For what it's worth, your bat and the picture match. Everything from the number placement to the lineup up of the GOP of the second row of numbers is the same. The batch number helps confirm the timing. Nice bat!

spartanservitto
02-02-2011, 10:31 AM
It looks like the same knob to me, the writing even slants on the batch number. Pretty awesome manny.

-Tony

nationals2k9
02-02-2011, 11:29 AM
Thanks guys. I know last time I mentioned it on here it looked very possible. It's just hard for me to be 100% when there's maybe 1 or 2 decent pictures of Manny from '98 that clearly show him swinging a black Rawlings. So very hard to assume that somehow I magically have the same bat! ;)

nationals2k9
05-10-2011, 10:27 AM
All - don't have the means to take pics of this bat and list in the classifieds but am willing to sell it if interested. Long story short, recent life events have forced me to move some things.

I'll call the asking price $500 just cause but am definitely willing to work on a deal. Start by emailing me michael_benko@yahoo.com if interested.

May be one of the earliest photomatched Manny bats around if you all conclude it's indeed photomatched.

Thanks.
MB

Rboitano
05-11-2011, 06:44 PM
Their is no way you can say that is a 100% photo match. Everything everyone has on this forum is matched, just circle a bunch of random spots like everyone else does and call it a match I guess.

Rboitano
05-11-2011, 06:47 PM
Style match yes, seems most people on this forum consider a style match a photo match. I actually owned that bat, traded it to BPH in 2006. It had a small handle crack that I repaired, it's hard to see. It's a nice bat.