PDA

View Full Version : THIS got a LOA???

sox83cubs84
01-31-2011, 11:19 PM
Of course, taking into account that it's a Bricol auction and a Lampson LOA, that may explain it. Bricol has a pair of Orioles pants purported to be worn by Cal Ripken Jr. The pants have a mid-1980s Rawlings tag in the waist, but no strip tagging found in MLB Orioles pants of the era and only this to hang a hat on as being Cal Jr.'s trousers:

http://www.bricolsportsauction.com/ItemImgs/ripken%20jr%20gu%20pants%201.JPG

http://www.bricolsportsauction.com/ItemImgs/ripken%20jr%20gu%20pants%204.JPG

Bill, Brett, Wade, Mark...your thoughts on this extremely shaky item?

Dave Miedema

LandRunSports
02-01-2011, 12:34 AM
You said it... "taking into account that it's a Bricol auction and a Lampson LOA, that may explain it".

Authentications being produced like they are running down an assembly line. RECALLS GALORE!!!

sox83cubs84
02-01-2011, 05:57 PM
BTW>>>Howard Wolf was the one who pointed this travesty out to me. He still active...just no longer posting.

Dave Miedema

ironmanfan
02-02-2011, 01:25 PM
I recall being in one of the Rawlings factory outlet stores in the late 1980's and seeing pants in MLB team colors (no strip tagging). So just because Cal signed these pants (Cal signs pretty much anything), all of a sudden these are game worn?

Whats with the line underneath the 8? An 8 is an 8 anyway you look at it....

Disappointing but unfortunately not surprising...

Dach0sen0ne
02-04-2011, 11:49 AM
Whats with the line underneath the 8?

A possible 9 turned into an 8?

ironmanfan
03-24-2011, 06:42 AM
these pants have now found their way on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cal-Ripken-Jr-autographed-1982-Game-Used-Pants-/160563550935?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2562555ad7

sox83cubs84
03-24-2011, 03:01 PM
these pants have now found their way on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cal-Ripken-Jr-autographed-1982-Game-Used-Pants-/160563550935?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2562555ad7

Bill:

I just contacted the seller (AACS Autographs) about this, and (hope you don't mind), I gave them your email address as a backup for what I told them about the pants.

AACS is one of the top autograph sellers on eBay, but have little to no expertise in game-used items. I think they're just going by what the Lampson LOA says (not a good move) and aren't knowingly selling a falsified item).

Dave Miedema

Danny899
03-24-2011, 07:25 PM
BTW>>>Howard Wolf was the one who pointed this travesty out to me. He still active...just no longer posting.

Dave Miedema
Howard Who?

That's ok with us Dave. Your knowledge alone is second to none. Also, you are 100 times more humble. A rarity among the more knowledgeable individuals in the hobby. You never once make like you're doing everyone a favor here by offering your insight. Thanks again.

sox83cubs84
03-24-2011, 09:19 PM
Howard Who?

That's ok with us Dave. Your knowledge alone is second to none. Also, you are 100 times more humble. A rarity among the more knowledgeable individuals in the hobby. You never once make like you're doing everyone a favor here by offering your insight. Thanks again.

Thanks, Danny, although I have no doubt Howard would surpass me on Phillies knits.

Dave M.

ironmanfan
03-26-2011, 01:01 PM
Bill:

I just contacted the seller (AACS Autographs) about this, and (hope you don't mind), I gave them your email address as a backup for what I told them about the pants.

AACS is one of the top autograph sellers on eBay, but have little to no expertise in game-used items. I think they're just going by what the Lampson LOA says (not a good move) and aren't knowingly selling a falsified item).

Dave Miedema

Dave:

Looks like they have done the right thing and have pulled the auction (at least for the time being).

Hopefully they can get their money back from Bricol.

Bill

Danny899
03-27-2011, 06:17 AM
Dave:

Looks like they have done the right thing and have pulled the auction (at least for the time being).

Hopefully they can get their money back from Bricol.

Bill

Bill,
Thanks for your input. I always look to see what your opinion is of the many Ripken gamers out there. Your knowledge of Ripken items and even his signing habits have been so helpful in my own purchases of the Ironman. Same thing with Arod13 and Yankee gamers, Dave with just about everything, Frik and the Astros etc. That's the great thing about this site. You guys offer great insight and enjoy sharing it free of any arrogance. Ever since the moderators started banning the problem children, (it kills them that they can't post anymore:mad: ) this site has escalated to the highest it's ever been!