PDA

View Full Version : Pujols bat -- Would you call this a photo match?

Birdbats
08-18-2006, 04:37 PM
After Tino Martinez left the Cardinals, the team sold several of the bats he left behind. At least two of those bats had "5" written on the knobs, suggesting they may have been used by Pujols. Both were R205 models, which is a bat Albert ordered early in his career. Of course, Albert is well known to use other players' bats, especially early in his career. (He used a black LSM9 Yadier Molina bat today in Chicago.)

After a long search for a photo of Pujols using a Martinez bat, one finally was discovered at a local card show -- it actually was a slide from the Fleer liquidation. Here's the best part -- it appears one of the Tino bats is a match to the bat Albert is using in the photo (taken in Chicago in early 2002).

I've posted some photos below and circled a few areas that seem distinct enough to call this a photo match. They include a mark to the right of "Powerized," a distinct dark spot below and to the right of "Cardinals," and a light area surrounded by dark near the end. Unfortunately, you cannot see the wood grain that's visible in a high-res photo made from the slide; if you could, you'd see the wood grain is consistent. You also can't clearly see the "5" on the barrel end, but in high-res, you can see it also is consistent in terms of size and placement.

I'd appreciate your thoughts... would you agree that this shot is convincing enough to be considered a photo match? Thanks.

Jeff
http://www.birdbats.com

http://webpages.charter.net/jeffscott/54/Pujols%20Match.JPG

Oil Can Dan
08-18-2006, 04:57 PM
In my (untrained) opinion that is absolutely a photo-match.

sportscentury
08-18-2006, 05:13 PM
Hi, Jeff:

First off, nice post. You may give Rudy a run for his money if you keep this up.

As for the photo-match... I don't see any number(s) written on the barrel end in the photo of Pujols in action. That is, the barrel end looks blank in the in-action photo.

I'm not trying to be a buzz kill; and I'm not saying it is definitely not the same bat. Just sharing my observation.

Reid

Oil Can Dan
08-18-2006, 05:25 PM
It doesn't look "blank" to me. I'd say it looks as if there's something grey or black up there. The big smudge is pretty obvious, IMO.

thrush29
08-18-2006, 05:26 PM
You sold me! Especially since I'm sure, as you stated, its even clearer in the hi-res photo. Maybe if your lucky you could find someone who recorded games during that time period! I saw Chipper Jones using Andruw Jones bat (with the distinct 25 on the barrel end) a few days ago and wished I had recorded it.

By the way......Thanks for the Vince Coleman bat info..it was priceless for me!!!!!!!!! and kudos on an awesome website!!!!!!!

David

sportscentury
08-18-2006, 05:32 PM
It doesn't look "blank" to me. I'd say it looks as if there's something grey or black up there. The big smudge is pretty obvious, IMO.

Dan,

The big smudge could not be more obvious, you're right. The only thing is, that's not what I'm referring to. The big smudge is on the edge of the barrel end, as it curves into the barrel. Look at where the numbers (21 and 5) are on the barrel end, in black marker. The can be seen clearly in the close-up of the barrel end (bottom right photo). I don't see evidence of these numbers on the barrel end in the in-action photo (again, I'm not referring to the smudge - I'm talking about uniform numbers in deep black marker).

Reid

sportscentury
08-18-2006, 05:36 PM
As an addendum, perhaps the 5 was added after Pujols' at bat that is shown in the photo. Again, I'm not at all saying that this is not the same bat. I'm just noting a difference between the bats, based on my perception.

Reid

Birdbats
08-18-2006, 05:55 PM
Here's a close-up shot of the barrel end -- the writing is a bit more obvious in this photo. You can even see the "21" touching the top part of the "5".

http://webpages.charter.net/jeffscott/54/Barrel%205.jpg

Also, thanks David for the kind words!

Jeff
http://www.birdbats.com

sportscentury
08-18-2006, 06:05 PM
SOLD!

Great bat and great photo find, Jeff.

Best,
Reid

indyred
08-18-2006, 07:27 PM
Nice detective work, you must have been estatic when you located that photo slide.....

stkmtimo
08-18-2006, 10:56 PM
Jeff,
Absolutely awesome bat. Congratulations - it's a photo match. Tremendous work, too. If we all did as much research as we could, we'd be a lot better off.

Tim