PDA

View Full Version : Packers Number font on number "5"

jake33
01-25-2011, 10:56 AM
I am growing more annoyed seeing this, especially with all the Packer fans wearing jerseys for their Super Bowl run.

I am sure most packer game used collector's now this... the number font on Packers jersey have the number "5" dipright on the middle left of the numeral. Then on the sholder/TV number the #5 is leveled off and is a different font. Is there a story behind that at all?

Last night I called out some Packer fan on his "authentic #52" jersey with a flat #5 and tried to explain it to him and he did not get it at all.

I am always amazed that people drop $200+ on an authentic jersey when you can get a game used that often times would be cheaper. I am not huge on wearing game used jerseys, but I will say that I do wear lesser known player game used jerseys that cost me around $100, not like the value can go down much more than that.

Plus I like having as obscure of a player jersey that you can get while "die hard" fans are clueless on who it is.

LastingsMilledge85
01-25-2011, 11:21 AM
Some other teams have that same number "5" font, but I can't think of them off the top of my head. You sound like me though, people would say they could get those "authentic" NFL jerseys for $20 and being the die-hard OCD Packer fan that I am, I could always point out that they were knock-offs because of the way they are stitched and the font of the "5" on the Packer one in particular. I wouldn't even bother saying anything because no one would understand where I'm coming from, or just insist it's authentic because it's "stitched". Somehow people think just because a jersey is "stitched" it makes it an authentic no matter what.

packerfan
01-25-2011, 12:16 PM
I agree too. I'm a diehard packer fan and own a number of Packer gamer jerseys. I have heard that style of "5" called a diamond point. It goes back to the 60's. The packers stopped using that style from the 70's until 1995 when they resumed using the sewn on numbers. I don't have an answer for why the shoulder number "5" is different but I think it's been that way forever.

While I'll never give someone a hard time for wearing an unauthentic authentic, I'll always wear one of my gamers because it's cooler and people always ask me where I got it, even if it's a no name player. Also, I just don't like the look of those cheap authentics.

otismalibu
01-25-2011, 12:22 PM
Somehow people think just because a jersey is "stitched" it makes it an authentic no matter what.

+1

Or they think it must be a replica because the numbers are heat pressed or screened. :)

It is a little annoying, though, when you see M&N jerseys that aren't historically accurate. If you're going to sell a jersey for $300, at least do a little research.

LastingsMilledge85
01-25-2011, 03:16 PM
I had one of those M&N long sleeve "throwback" style Starr jersey, I don't believe it's accurate but it was really comfortable and neat looking. I have a few Packers authentic jerseys and two I really like because I tried to make them look just like the real thing from the year I got them from. Like my Ahman Green jersey has the "Rebirth of a Legend" patch on the right hand corner (while looking at it, not while wearing) and I got a 50th year Lambeau patch for my Driver jersey, but can never wear it because it is so big on me (54) and that was the only Driver they had. I really would like to get a Rodger's white SB jersey with the SB patch and second year captain's patch (I assume they will keep wearing that for the SB).

otismalibu
01-25-2011, 04:58 PM
I really would like to get a Rodger's white SB jersey with the SB patch and second year captain's patch (I assume they will keep wearing that for the SB).

Packers are the home team for the SB, so I would assume they will wear their home greens. They can wear either, but if they opt for white they'll be doing exactly what the Steelers did when they were the 6th seed, advanced to the title game and wore road white when they were the home team.

LastingsMilledge85
01-25-2011, 05:06 PM
Packers are the home team for the SB, so I would assume they will wear their home greens. They can wear either, but if they opt for white they'll be doing exactly what the Steelers did when they were the 6th seed, advanced to the title game and wore road white when they were the home team.

Oh, I thought Steelers were home. It will probably be green then being that Green Bay is home.

helmets
01-25-2011, 06:21 PM
I beg to differ...
The Packers wear the dip today, but in the 80's and early 90's the bottom of the five was straight with no point.

otismalibu
01-25-2011, 07:32 PM
I beg to differ...
The Packers wear the dip today, but in the 80's and early 90's the bottom of the five was straight with no point.

See post #3

The packers stopped using that style from the 70's until 1995 when they resumed using the sewn on numbers.