PDA

View Full Version : Ever sell a game used piece because of the cirumstances surrounding the acquisition?

frikativ54
01-16-2011, 08:21 PM
I am very curious as to if any of you have sold an item because of the circumstances of acquisition. Here are some possible reasons why people might sell an item for reasons not intrinsic to that particular game-used piece:

1) You were given it by an ex-girlfriend/wife etc.
2) You felt you were ripped off.
3) The item reminds you of a particular event/time in your life.
4) [any other reason that has nothing to do with the actual item]

Feel free to share your stories.

frikativ54
01-16-2011, 08:25 PM
Sorry...that title should read "circumstances." My "c" key was sticking.

jake33
01-16-2011, 09:12 PM
I had a lot of Travis Lee Rays items, sold everything when I spoke personally to 3 former Rays employees/ and 1 player. All had awful things to say about Travis.

Terms like: quitter, lazy, uninspired, wasted talent, selfish, never hit potential

I met Lee 2 times and felt he was lukewarm, not a jerk or anything but I guess i built him up in my head more than what he actually was.

kylehess10
01-16-2011, 10:18 PM
I'm pretty sure most of us here had this type of situation after the Mitchell Report.

I sold a pair of Neifi Perez batting gloves and a Raul Mondesi game used bat when I found out that they used steroids.

Bravesfan
01-17-2011, 05:38 PM
I sold all my A-Rod stuff after his roid confession (after he was outed is more like it).
Sold all my David Ortiz items for the same reason.
Never collected McGwire, Bonds, or Canseco because I knew years ago they had to be juiced.

RRexpressfan94
01-17-2011, 06:08 PM
I did once with a miguel cabera autographed card, I thought it was authentic but a friend of mine who is no expert said it looked sketchy, so i traded it away.

Klattsy
01-17-2011, 09:20 PM
Purged all my "general" signed memorabilia items early last year when I decided that they dilluted my collection :)

Now, every Auto I have has been obtained by me personally.

Mark.

Shipp_96
02-02-2011, 11:26 PM
I did this with autos I had obtained of Jerome Bettis, Willie Parker, Hines Ward and Franco Harris. At the time I was living in California (native of western PA), so I thought no way am I getting these guys signed in person. Two of these were Steiner, two from fan clubs that gave 8x10's signed by the players for a nominal fee.

Well, five years after the fact I am back on the east coast, and there is a show not 30 minutes away with all of these guys signing! Needless to say, I sold it all and now have only two autographs in my entire collection that I did not get in person ( a Griffey 500th HR ball from Upper Deck collection, and a Michael Robinson Penn State signed mini from a friend who emailed exact picts of him signing it).