PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite item that isn't "worth" much

commando
01-15-2011, 04:40 PM
True collectors aren't concerned with dollar signs. They have no intention of selling their prized items. Regardless of dollar value, some of these one-of-a-kind items cannot be replaced. What are a few that you guys own?

For me, since I collect stuff from the USFL Houston Gamblers, I can list several. An original locker name plate given to me by the player -- which would probably get me ten dollars on eBay... Where would I ever find another one of those? Then there's an original embroidered Gamblers logo patch that was worn on team blazer siuts -- can anyone say rare, and worth ten bucks on eBay?

I think you guys get the idea!

Dewey2007
01-15-2011, 04:46 PM
Two favorites are my 2001 Chidi Iwuoma Detroit Lions jersey and my Chris Clapinski game used bat. These two items were given to me by each former player so that always make it a little more special.

treant985
01-15-2011, 08:07 PM
I'm starting to think my entire collection fits under this description...:rolleyes:

I got a pro model bat from a single-A guy (Derrick Robinson) a few yrs ago. He had just cracked it; I looked into the dugout and he handed it to me without me saying anything. No name on the bat, not from anybody famous, not really worth anything.

But I still remember it. And I carry the bat with me everywhere. Actually came in handy when my deadbolt broke and I had to break into my own house.

gingi79
01-15-2011, 08:30 PM
The book Red and Me signed by Bill Russell. I have my copy and my dad's. My dad was taken from me last year by Lung Cancer and the book signing we went to and met Mr. Russell was my last "Mens night out with my Dad"

They are personalized and might sell for $10. Priceless to me.

(If want to read my articulate and amazing recount of the evening, the highlight of my dad's last year on earth, it's in this thread, post 13)

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=26647&page=6&highlight=rooster

shaunharr
01-15-2011, 08:32 PM
Mine would have to be my Julio Borbon game used bat and my first J.R. Towles game used bat.

Julio Borbon is an LVS M9 without his name, but this was my first bat. Julio came over to me when he was on deck (I was first seat next to the dugout during a Triple A game in 2009), and just started talking, so I asked if he had any extra bats, and he said he can check. Then he goes up to bat, and cracks his bat (just a hair line crack). Then when he gets in the dugout, he looks at me, walks straight to me and hands me the bat.

J.R. Towles is an LVS C271S Astros bat. Name on it. He gave it to me on his way out of the stadium after an AAA game in 2009. Completely uncracked. He did not tell me to meet him after the game. I was just waiting to get some autographs, then he came out, and asked me who had asked him for a bat a few days ago, then I told him I did, and he said he will check, but didn't think he had any. He came back out with a totally uncracked bat, and signed it for me. I have collected him since.

sox83cubs84
01-15-2011, 08:32 PM
I still have a personalized signed baseball with get well wishes from former Cubs coach Matt Sinatro. Ballpark buddy Joe McCarthy got it for me in 2007 when I was having after effects of my second kidney transplant.

Dave Miedema

Dach0sen0ne
01-15-2011, 08:48 PM
The book Red and Me signed by Bill Russell. I have my copy and my dad's. My dad was taken from me last year by Lung Cancer and the book signing we went to and met Mr. Russell was my last "Mens night out with my Dad"

(If want to read my articulate and amazing recount of the evening, the highlight of my dad's last year on earth, it's in this thread, post 13)

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=26647&page=6&highlight=rooster

Loved the story, thank you for sharing it.

xpress34
01-15-2011, 09:57 PM

Gingi -

Your story hit a chord with me. My father's name is DJ Smith. When I 1st saw a card of DJ Smith the NHL player, I started buying them and sending them to my dad as a joke. He thought it was funny and it became a running joke.

Well, DJ Smith (The NHL player) came to the Colorado Avalanche and the Avs had one of his GU jerseys in the pro shop - $600.00! OUCH!

When they 1st went on strike (the lost season) they had it for $450.00, then $375.00, then they removed ALL Av's gear when the NHL Season was completely cancelled.

We were at Pepsi Center for a Colorado Mammoth (NLL - Indoor LaCrosse) game and I see this AV's jersey folded up in the case. I ask, and it's the DJ Smith jersey... now $125.00. I bought it.

I was going to take it to my dad that following March when I went to Tucson and Phoenix for Spring Training. My dad passed that January - never knew I had the jersey for him.

It's still in my collection - maybe it would bring more than the $10 stories - but it's priceless to me and will stay in my collection forever.

- Smitty

P.S. - My apologies to those who have heard me discuss this jersey before for the rehash.

lehmsbobby
01-15-2011, 10:15 PM
In Spring Training lets say 2006 I was given Angel Pagan's bat from the dugout. It was the second bat I was ever given in person (after a Barry Bonds Sam Bat), but not knowing the player at the time, I instantly wanted to follow his career. When he broke through to the bigs, I was ecstatic and amazed that this random player had made it. When he came to SF with the mets, I had him sign the bat 4 years later. He picked it up and was interested in its roots. The bat is probably worth like 25 bucks but I've loved following the careers of people I acquire game used items from.

ruhoos
01-15-2011, 10:46 PM
4th of July in 2005, was at the Mets-Nationals game at RFK Stadium...Caught my first-ever foul ball. John Patterson was pitching, Marlon Anderson fouled it off.

Caught the ball on the fly and everyone cheered, ever though I was wearing a Mets' jersey.

xpress34
01-15-2011, 10:51 PM
Gingi -

Your story hit a chord with me. My father's name is DJ Smith. When I 1st saw a card of DJ Smith the NHL player, I started buying them and sending them to my dad as a joke. He thought it was funny and it became a running joke.

Well, DJ Smith (The NHL player) came to the Colorado Avalanche and the Avs had one of his GU jerseys in the pro shop - $600.00! OUCH!

When they 1st went on strike (the lost season) they had it for $450.00, then $375.00, then they removed ALL Av's gear when the NHL Season was completely cancelled.

We were at Pepsi Center for a Colorado Mammoth (NLL - Indoor LaCrosse) game and I see this AV's jersey folded up in the case. I ask, and it's the DJ Smith jersey... now $125.00. I bought it.

I was going to take it to my dad that following March when I went to Tucson and Phoenix for Spring Training. My dad passed that January - never knew I had the jersey for him.

It's still in my collection - maybe it would bring more than the $10 stories - but it's priceless to me and will stay in my collection forever.

- Smitty

P.S. - My apologies to those who have heard me discuss this jersey before for the rehash.

Just thought I'd share these:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Jerseys/DJSmith1.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Jerseys/DJSmith2.jpg

- Smitty

gingi79
01-15-2011, 11:14 PM
Loved the story, thank you for sharing it.

It was taken with a cell phone because we both somehow didn't think to bring a camera. Thanks for your kind words, it was nice to remember a good night again.

Great thread BTW

EurekaDave
01-16-2011, 02:06 AM
I saw a perfect game once, Dennis Martinez of the Expos shut down the Dodgers. A TV technician gave me a foul ball and I got Martinez to sign it with the date.

A card show appraiser said it was worth nothing because I did not witness the ball being fouled by a Dodger in that specific game. Phooey!

But you'd have to pry that ball from my cold, dead hand. I just made up that line so feel free to use it.

Dave Silverbrand

AutographAddiction
01-16-2011, 03:11 AM

I think you may want to see this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO3-8qkw0b0&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
I believe it may be video from the signing you speak of. I know little things like this mean a lot when they relate to a moment you shared with a loved one no longer living. My mom passed away a month ago and gosh, those home videos mean so much. This may be a different signing in the video, or have little to no importance to you, but I thought I should share.

Enjoy.:)

AutographAddiction
01-16-2011, 03:13 AM
I think you may want to see this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO3-8qkw0b0&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
I believe it may be video from the signing you speak of. I know little things like this mean a lot when they relate to a moment you shared with a loved one no longer living. My mom passed away a month ago and gosh, those home videos mean so much. This may be a different signing in the video, or have little to no importance to you, but I thought I should share.

Enjoy.:)

Just realized this is another signing- I think. But maybe watching him sign for a few minutes will still bring back memories.

70to66
01-16-2011, 09:53 AM
I went to visit George Kell at his home with his permission one time thru a mutual friend, he told me what time to come, but said he had to do a phone interview later and we would only have about a half an hour. It was 10:00 a.m. when I was to arrive, I get there and his wife comes out to open the gate at the drive way, she said the phone interview called and wanted to move it up, so we go in and wait about ten minutes and he came out in his pajamas. He apologized for things being changed and I told him he was doing me the favor letting me come by to meet him. We stay for over an hour visiting and listening to stories, he signs some stuff for me and when we get done he takes a picture with me and tells me I am the only person who ever got their picture with him in his pajamas, we both laugh and I leave. Any time I hear his name I always think of the visit with him. I laugh when I look at the picture.

godwulf
01-16-2011, 10:38 AM
Family things associated with Baseball. A very old gym bag and a couple of gloves that my Dad used when he played the game in high school, along with his letter jacket. (He also played basketball, and one of his school's rivals was nearby Fairmount High, whose team included a kid named James Dean.) A team-signed White Sox ball that my Dad brought home to me when I was small. My mother's Cubs jersey. A photograph, ca 1912, of a group of boys holding bats and gloves, including my grandfather, about eight years old, and his little brother.

jake33
01-17-2011, 04:11 PM
Don Mattingly signed in person OMLB ball on sweetspot rom county stadium in 1995, took me a decade to get and it was my last game that i ever saw mattingly as a player

Willy Aybar game used batting glove, bought on ebay for only $8 but heavy game use and it has a "AYBAR 16" patch on the palm

Kevin Dogins 1996 Bucs white road jersey, bought on ebay back in 2002 when someone listed it on ebay as only "bucs jersey", cost was $50, got it photomatched to the last drive of offense of 1996 season when dogins played in 4 palys to end the season and last time the bucs had the old uniforms.

frikativ54
01-17-2011, 04:46 PM
My aunt is from Montgomery, Alabama, and my Mom was visiting her a few years back when they went to a Biscuits game. A foul ball bounced near my Mom, and she grabbed it. When she got back home, she gave it to me. It sits with all my other game used baseballs, and I'd never get rid of it, because my Mom gave it to me.

Bravesfan
01-17-2011, 05:18 PM
1995 special Richmond Braves bat given out at the stadium. Not worth much at all but a rare and neat item.

Bravesfan
01-17-2011, 05:22 PM
Sorry, I meant 1996.
The brass plaque reads: Continental Cablevision August 15, 1996

Bravesfan
01-17-2011, 05:30 PM
If it has to be "game used" then it would be my Andruw Jones autographed game used bat.

solarlottry
01-17-2011, 08:00 PM
My 1997 Chuck Levy home gamer. Not worth all that much to a non-49ers collector but it shows considerable customization with a remodeled neck, sleeves and custom hem. It also still has the "stick-em" that players use to keep the shirt close to their body so it cant be grabbed. I love it as it also has nice use and repairs.

Jeffredsfan
10-05-2011, 08:18 PM
In the mid to late 1980's, I read an interview of a former baseball player (SCD always had interviews of former players) who happened to be taking an airplane trip right after the interview was given. The interviewer asked the player to sign a ball for him before he boarded the plane. As it turns out, the airplane crashed and the player was killed. Since my Dad was a private pilot at the time, the story sort of rocked me. A few weeks after I read the SCD article, I asked my Dad to sign a baseball for me.

Many years had passed and I had forgotten that I had a ball tucked away somewhere with my Dad's signature on it. Two years ago my Dad was killed in a work related accident. A few months after his passing, I was cleaning out some drawers and found a ball cube. When I pulled it out and turned it around, I saw my Dad's signature. There aren't any words to describe what I felt at that moment. Without a doubt, no matter what items I add to my collection, this autographed ball will remain my all time favorite piece.