PDA

View Full Version : Ken Griffey jr helmet

djnos7
01-15-2011, 09:03 AM
I was told Junior didnt use a lot of pine tar on his bats? Would it make sense to see a lot of pine tar on his helmet? Any help would be great!!!

djnos7
01-15-2011, 10:18 AM
here are some pics, any thoughts?

justinbittner220
01-15-2011, 10:41 AM
I think some other members can give better opinions, but I have heard some sketchy things about certain Arod and Griffey Mariners helmets as being skeptical. I think there was a guy or two that would buy game issued helmets and then label them with a number and call them game used. Maybe start with trying to verify if it is Griffey's correct head size with other helmets from his career.

djnos7
01-15-2011, 11:13 AM
Yes, he used 7 1/8 and that is what the helmet is!

Dewey2007
01-15-2011, 12:58 PM
If he wore this helmet for the entire season like a lot of players do then it doesn't look like an overabundance of pine tar to me, at least from what I can tell from the pic. Hopefully the Griffey experts will chime in for you.

Have you tried photomatching the helmet yet or looking at pics of other Griffey helmets from that era to see if they resemble the one you have as far as pine tar application goes?

Good luck!

gameused
01-15-2011, 01:00 PM
This is the same helmet currently on eBay and in the description the seller writes the helmet is photo matched and he has a photo of Griffey, I don't see a photo match, most likely a style match.
http://cgi.ebay.com/1996-24-Ken-Griffey-Jr-Game-Used-Worn-Batting-Helmet-/200565569667?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb2a3b883#ht_737wt_89

Bobby

justinwc80
01-15-2011, 11:08 PM
I've been watching the helmet as well. The size is correct but don't see a photo match at all. From all the pics I looked at for his career he usually used a tacky substance from an aerosol can. I've seen some evidence of light pine tar but wouldn't expect alot of buildup on helmet.

nationals2k9
01-15-2011, 11:35 PM
This helmet was purchased a couple days ago from a fellow forum member for a very reasonable price..... and now the new owner not only turns around and asks for opinions on it, but lists it on ebay to try and spin a quick profit. Now I know we've talked about selling for profit being an acceptable practice, but this one sort of stings a little. Although I've never met the original owner who sold it off earlier this week, I do feel through our communications he is a very generous, stand-up guy. And even more, he didn't originally have it up for sale, but I'd venture to say when someone made an offer on it after seeing it on his website, he figured it was going to a Griffey collector that would appreciate having it.

I understand not everyone will agree with me for saying something about this, but I feel very strongly about it being a pretty low move. It has nothing to do with me, but I personally don't want members like this guy conducting business like this in this community. And I'm sorry for mentioning the original owner in this rant if he would ideally wish to be excluded. Thanks

nationals2k9
01-15-2011, 11:39 PM
This helmet was purchased a couple days ago from a fellow forum member for a very reasonable price..... and now the new owner not only turns around and asks for opinions on it, but lists it on ebay to try and spin a quick profit. Now I know we've talked about selling for profit being an acceptable practice, but this one sort of stings a little. Although I've never met the original owner who sold it off earlier this week, I do feel through our communications he is a very generous, stand-up guy. And even more, he didn't originally have it up for sale, but I'd venture to say when someone made an offer on it after seeing it on his website, he figured it was going to a Griffey collector that would appreciate having it.

I understand not everyone will agree with me for saying something about this, but I feel very strongly about it being a pretty low move. It has nothing to do with me, but I personally don't want members like this guy conducting business like this in this community. And I'm sorry for mentioning the original owner in this rant if he would ideally wish to be excluded. Thanks

Let me quickly add that I may have made an error in assuming the member who started this post is indeed the seller on ebay. Sorry if it's not you! But if it is, you know how I feel. Bottom line is someone with access to GUU purchased this item only a couple days ago and is now looking for a large profit on it. Just not right in my opinion! Thanks

griffeyfan
01-16-2011, 10:01 AM
Late in reading this but I have a road game used batting helmet that came from Griffey (via Coast To Coast) and there's no evidence of pine tar on the helmet. The previous poster is correct that Griffey wore 7 1/8 for helmets/hats.

nationals2k9
01-16-2011, 11:29 AM
The original poster in this thread is not the ebay seller... so sorry for jumping to a conclusion about that. I just feel bad that something was let out of a private collection back into the hobby and is now on ebay already. That's really it. I'll be done with this.

djnos7
01-17-2011, 01:31 PM
I was looking to purchase this item, but had my doubts since most of hte getty images from that year show his helmets being pretty clean and shiny, this thing is super dulled and beatin to death? doesnt seem to fit, even pics from sept the helmet seems in pretty descent shape, not what these pics resemble!!! And no im not the owner!!!

nationals2k9
01-17-2011, 01:44 PM
I was looking to purchase this item, but had my doubts since most of hte getty images from that year show his helmets being pretty clean and shiny, this thing is super dulled and beatin to death? doesnt seem to fit, even pics from sept the helmet seems in pretty descent shape, not what these pics resemble!!! And no im not the owner!!!

Got ya. Sorry again for posting like you may be and getting a little too excited. Helmets are just so tough to authenticate in my opinion. Got to at least have some sort of team stamp or something if they're from that far back and have no provenance.

djnos7
01-17-2011, 02:04 PM
So what year is your helmet from, and it wasnt all beat up like this one i assume? Im not sure, but if this is from 96' i would think from the use it displays it would have been used all year, and from getty pics in sept, the helmet he wore had scuffs but not to this extreme!!!