PDA

View Full Version : Jim Paek Penguins Did he ever wear #38?

zybu_s
01-13-2011, 12:32 PM
I'd need some help identifying a jersey. I have a Jim Paek Pitt. Penguins game-used jersey. It's No. 38 and does not appear to be a number change. I know Paek wore #2 with the Penguins, but did he ever wear #38? Could it be a training camp jersey?

Thanks, in advance.

Joe

xmartyx
01-13-2011, 06:15 PM
If no one can help you, I can ask him next time I see him. I frequent Grand Rapids Griffins games.

gingi79
01-13-2011, 06:59 PM
He only played 3 games in 90/91 at the beginning of the season before going to the Canadian National team. He is only listed as wearing #2 for them and the picture I saw from those games on his rookie card had him wearing #2

Jiri Hrdina wore #38 from the time he was traded to the Pens on December 13th, 1990 until he retired after playing 56 games with them the next season.

That leaves his last season with the Pens and all pics I could see of him were in #2.

In the minors, he wore #3 for Muskegon.

Deductively, Jim is the only Paek to play in the NHL/AHL/IHL etc. Therefore, I would think the jersey is most likely worn in a Preseason between when he was drafted in 1985 and when he made the show in 1990. If you post photos, I can help you narrow down season and forward you some info on long term Pens collectors who may be able to assist you further. The hockey guy at Lelands Auctions, Casey Samuellson is truly a Pens guru, I'd suggest emailing him through the auction site.

Hope I helped.

indyred
01-13-2011, 09:32 PM
Like gingi said. Casey is the Penguins expert. He has an amazing Penguins collection of game used stuff. I think he even has some of the very rare yellow Sunday alternate jerseys from early 80's the Pens used. He also runs a Penguins collectibles/research website, don't know name of it off hand. I think he may even been a member on this site. I;m sure if he reads this, he will know what deal is. My guess would be a preseason jersey.

Sincityson
01-13-2011, 10:14 PM
Best option is to just send Jim an email & ask.. Had a friend that emailed another one of the coaches on the Griffins & received a reply..

Sincityson
01-13-2011, 10:18 PM
Best option is to just send Jim an email & ask.. Had a friend that emailed another one of the coaches on the Griffins & received a reply..

Or contact him via linkedin:

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/jim-paek/27/849/945

zybu_s
01-13-2011, 10:56 PM
He only played 3 games in 90/91 at the beginning of the season before going to the Canadian National team. He is only listed as wearing #2 for them and the picture I saw from those games on his rookie card had him wearing #2

Jiri Hrdina wore #38 from the time he was traded to the Pens on December 13th, 1990 until he retired after playing 56 games with them the next season.

That leaves his last season with the Pens and all pics I could see of him were in #2.

In the minors, he wore #3 for Muskegon.

Deductively, Jim is the only Paek to play in the NHL/AHL/IHL etc. Therefore, I would think the jersey is most likely worn in a Preseason between when he was drafted in 1985 and when he made the show in 1990. If you post photos, I can help you narrow down season and forward you some info on long term Pens collectors who may be able to assist you further. The hockey guy at Lelands Auctions, Casey Samuellson is truly a Pens guru, I'd suggest emailing him through the auction site.

Hope I helped.

That is a huge help. I'll try and get some pictures up on Friday. Thank you very much.
Joe

zybu_s
01-13-2011, 10:57 PM
Or contact him via linkedin:

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/jim-paek/27/849/945

Thank you very much! I will try that and let you know how it went.
Joe

zybu_s
01-13-2011, 10:58 PM
Like gingi said. Casey is the Penguins expert. He has an amazing Penguins collection of game used stuff. I think he even has some of the very rare yellow Sunday alternate jerseys from early 80's the Pens used. He also runs a Penguins collectibles/research website, don't know name of it off hand. I think he may even been a member on this site. I;m sure if he reads this, he will know what deal is. My guess would be a preseason jersey.

Thank you.
Joe

zybu_s
01-13-2011, 11:00 PM
If no one can help you, I can ask him next time I see him. I frequent Grand Rapids Griffins games.

If you wouldn't mind, that would be pretty neat. Thanks.
Joe

zybu_s
01-13-2011, 11:10 PM
That is a huge help. I'll try and get some pictures up on Friday. Thank you very much.
Joe

I got to it quicker than I thought.

xmartyx
01-14-2011, 02:18 PM
I got to it quicker than I thought.
Also, not sure if you're looking to get it signed, but I could get that done for you...

zybu_s
01-14-2011, 06:23 PM
Also, not sure if you're looking to get it signed, but I could get that done for you...

I just really wanted to make sure of the authenticity in case I would sell it. My doubt crept in after checking hockey-reference.com despite the COA. My hunch was that it was a preseason sweater which has been suggested by a few Forum members.

Thank you.