PDA

View Full Version : Who controls selling game items, the team or league?

pungent
01-10-2011, 03:22 PM
I recently talked to an NFL team employee with knowledge of their game used items and he said they keep everything because it is against league rules to release and sell the items, especially jerseys, and the only time some make it to the open market is if a player decides to purchase the jersey from the team and re-sells it.

I was always under the impression that it is the team that determines whether to sell their game used items, and not the league. Can someone clarify this? Thank you.

geoff
01-10-2011, 03:32 PM
I Always Thought It was The Team.

jake33
01-10-2011, 04:02 PM
I thought it was the team too, however I thought the card companies had a contract with some of the leagues and could get certain jerseys upon request.

I know the Bengals sell a few of their game used jerseys at their proshop ($750 for shayne graham anyone?) and the Dolphins have done garages sales before. 4-5 years ago the ravens sold theirs in trainign camp and the ravens have sold their black alternate many years too.

I seriously think NFL auctions will keep growing bigger and bigger to the point where it is the only place to get NFL game used.

pungent
01-10-2011, 04:05 PM
So if teams are the ones who control how the game used items are sold, are they obligated to give NFL Auctions items for events, such as the breast cancer or international series items?

dplettn
01-10-2011, 04:55 PM
I recently talked to an NFL team employee with knowledge of their game used items and he said they keep everything because it is against league rules to release and sell the items, especially jerseys, and the only time some make it to the open market is if a player decides to purchase the jersey from the team and re-sells it.

I was always under the impression that it is the team that determines whether to sell their game used items, and not the league. Can someone clarify this? Thank you.

I'm curious what team claimed that?

In my experience, the team may have given first rights to players and have contracts with dealers (ie: JOSports). They also have liability concerns to address with various equipment, but ultimately its the team's business decision.

jake33
01-10-2011, 05:52 PM
for sure the NFl has a say on the international series, I know there is no way the patriots or bucs would have wanted their jersey up for auction.

It will be interesting if the steelers ever play in london (probably would be a road game) and what the values of their jerseys will go for.

Dewey2007
01-10-2011, 05:58 PM
I believe that the team controls the selling of game items. I think those players that have their own deals probably have to make some arrangement with the team before their items can be sold through a third party.

I also believe there is some sort of prior agreement each year with teams and the league about the selling of BCA and Int'l Series items through NFL Auctions for charitable purposes.

I'm pretty sure JO Sports, Meigray & Steiner have individual contracts with their respective teams for a certain amount of game used items per season.

Maybe Jarrod, Barry and/or someone from Steiner could comment on the thread?

I'm curious what team claimed that?

In my experience, the team may have given first rights to players and have contracts with dealers (ie: JOSports). They also have liability concerns to address with various equipment, but ultimately its the team's business decision.