PDA

View Full Version : MiLB Clubs Selling Jersey's

Klattsy
01-07-2011, 09:58 PM
Hi All,

Is it me or does it seem unreasonable for minor league clubs to ask $100+ for their players jersey? I understand that these clubs are in no way as financially independent as their parent clubs, but when I see MLB clubs selling GU jersey's for $100, and then a AAA club selling jersey's at $125 it just doesn't sit right. Especially since the AAA jersey's are usually always washed (although this is a preference thing I guess) and never have name plates on the back, and never MLB authenticated.

This isn't meant to be a thread calling MiLB clubs greedy but I was just wondering if anyone else had the same experience or know of any other reason why prices may be higher?

Sincityson
01-07-2011, 10:22 PM
Depends on the player, but I've noticed the same thing. In particular the Syracuse Chiefs who last year were selling many common players from 2007-2009 for $350 each, same price as more known players.

eg:

http://www.milbauctions.com/auctiondisplay.cfm?auctionnbr=2068

Hi All,

Is it me or does it seem unreasonable for minor league clubs to ask $100+ for their players jersey? I understand that these clubs are in no way as financially independent as their parent clubs, but when I see MLB clubs selling GU jersey's for $100, and then a AAA club selling jersey's at $125 it just doesn't sit right. Especially since the AAA jersey's are usually always washed (although this is a preference thing I guess) and never have name plates on the back, and never MLB authenticated.

This isn't meant to be a thread calling MiLB clubs greedy but I was just wondering if anyone else had the same experience or know of any other reason why prices may be higher?

LWMM
01-08-2011, 07:37 AM
Hi All,

Keep in mind that most minor league players only receive one jersey of each style per season. Thus, while an MiLB jersey may be $125 and an MLB one $100, the former is both one of a kind and liable to have been used for a much longer period of time. This also means that minor league teams have fewer jerseys to sell, and therefore need to sell the jerseys for more money in order to make a substantial amount.

Furthermore, MLB teams, buying in larger quantities, probably pay less for their jerseys than do minor league teams. With such a discount major leauge teams can stand to sell their jerseys for less than minor league teams while still yielding a decent profit.

With that said, I would be extremely hard pressed to spend $350 on a common MLB player's jersey, let alone his MiLB one.

Mulligans
01-08-2011, 07:55 AM
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but how does one figure out the value of a Minor League Jersey?

I just picked up a couple of Red Sox 2004 GU Jerseys from Pawtucket (MiLB Auction) because I thought they were pretty cool. They show incredible amounts of use, but I have no idea what they are worth and I have not seen lots of them for sale.

Both players are active Major league players and I'm assuming that these Jerseys are one of a few ever worn by the players based on the usage. Is there a price range that you would typically see?

Chris78
01-08-2011, 05:34 PM
Hi All,

I can tell you from one of my personal experiences relating to Minor League jerseys. When I have spoke to the Wilmington Blue Rocks, they have told me that the actual cost to replace the jersey for them is $130.
That is why they sell these for that price (other than star players which they sell for more) until mid-December which is when they can no longer order a replacement jersey. In mid-December they take off the names of the jerseys that did not sell and will reuse these jerseys the following season with new names on the back for their home white and home alternate jerseys. So to answer the question, the cost to replace is probably around $130 or so for the minor league teams and they do not have the money like the major league teams.

Chris

Klattsy
01-09-2011, 02:38 AM
Keep in mind that most minor league players only receive one jersey of each style per season. Thus, while an MiLB jersey may be $125 and an MLB one $100, the former is both one of a kind and liable to have been used for a much longer period of time. This also means that minor league teams have fewer jerseys to sell, and therefore need to sell the jerseys for more money in order to make a substantial amount.

Furthermore, MLB teams, buying in larger quantities, probably pay less for their jerseys than do minor league teams. With such a discount major leauge teams can stand to sell their jerseys for less than minor league teams while still yielding a decent profit.

With that said, I would be extremely hard pressed to spend $350 on a common MLB player's jersey, let alone his MiLB one.

Good point. I would rather own I jersey used all season as opposed to 1 or 2 games I guess! Shame that they wash them is all :) It would have some great stories after a season in the minors! Stinky too!

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but how does one figure out the value of a Minor League Jersey?

Like most things mate I guess it would be whatever people are willing to pay! Tried photo matching them to increase appeal for sales?

I can tell you from one of my personal experiences relating to Minor League jerseys. When I have spoke to the Wilmington Blue Rocks, they have told me that the actual cost to replace the jersey for them is $130.
Chris

Ahhh fair point definitely.

Thanks all.
Mark.

shaunharr
01-09-2011, 02:35 PM
I know the San Antonio Missions sell game used jerseys for a very high price. Well over $100 each.
The Round Rock Express sell game used jerseys no higher than $100. I wouldn't pay $100 for a minor league jersey unless it was a top prospect.

cubsWSchamps
01-11-2011, 06:23 PM
I paid 125 for my Hak Ju Lee Peoria jersey

Id be willing to pay a good amount for a 2009 Boise Hawks game used Hak Ju Lee jersey

Klattsy
01-11-2011, 08:35 PM
I've paid $50 ea for two jersey from the Brockton Rox (Independent League) and then the Air Hogs wanted $125. But when I enquired about a Class A team (Snappers) they have them for $90...I guess price really depends on team management.

I am not begrudging any team the chance to make money back. I think Ihave been spoilt in the fact that I picked up 2 minor league jersey's for $50 ea and two MLB jersey's for $100 ea. So now in my mind thats the yardstick I use!

Just like if I could be pick up a MLB certified bat for $50, then i'd expect them all at that price! :)

Mark.