PDA

View Full Version : Jerseys sent to the Minors

RJB44
01-02-2011, 02:08 PM
I know it was pretty common for major league clubs to send their game used jerseys down to the minor leagues during the 1970s and 1980s, just curious to see if any teams continue the practice today.

BTW.. Below is an interesting photo from the late 80s showing two variations of Angels jerseys beings used by the Midland Angels. Obviously, the #20 jersey had at one time a NOB, whereas the #19 did not. Both appear to be recycled California Angel jerseys, perhaps the #19 is pre-1982, when they did not use NOBs.

xpress34
01-02-2011, 03:25 PM
I can't say they do it for MLB to MiLB, but at least at Spring Training, the Rockies recycle a BUNCH of jerseys.

Go out to the Minor League Fields at Hi Corbett (not sure about this year at Talking Stick - yet!) and you will see a mish-mash of BP Jersey Styles from the last several years.

At the Sky Sox (AAA Affiliate) in Colorado Springs, they definately recycle. You'll see players in Wilson jerseys, Rawlings jerseys, OTB jerseys... some with Flag patch, some without...

So at least to that end, the Rockies still recycle uniforms.

On the MLB side, they generally sell them off each year through the Dug Out Stores in the greater Denver/Colorado Springs area. They used to get two shipments - one mid-season and one end of year, now they just do the end of year deal.

Hope this helps.

- Smitty

LastingsMilledge85
01-02-2011, 03:28 PM
I'm pretty sure that MLB jerseys will never turn up in the minors these days, but they still recycle pants from the majors to the minors.

sox83cubs84
01-02-2011, 06:56 PM
I know it was pretty common for major league clubs to send their game used jerseys down to the minor leagues during the 1970s and 1980s, just curious to see if any teams continue the practice today.

BTW.. Below is an interesting photo from the late 80s showing two variations of Angels jerseys beings used by the Midland Angels. Obviously, the #20 jersey had at one time a NOB, whereas the #19 did not. Both appear to be recycled California Angel jerseys, perhaps the #19 is pre-1982, when they did not use NOBs.

The Angels were still using MLB hand-me-downs at their minor league affiliates as recent as the early 1990s. MLB Angels jerseys exist with either a US flag patch or the outline of one...those were jerseys sent down to AA Midland, as 1991 minor league cards will attest to, where the flags were affixed..

Dave Miedema