PDA

View Full Version : I love this hobby

RRexpressfan94
12-20-2010, 09:15 PM
I know I have seen a thread like this before, but I love this hobby. As a 16 year old going onto my 5th year of collecting I am glad I bought my first pack of cards 5 years ago, it started an addiction for me and I just cant ever seem to get enough autos, cards and most importantly, game used items!

legaleagle92481
12-21-2010, 02:22 AM
As you get older and accumulate more money to spend it will only get better. When i was a teen they didn't have GU stuff on the mass market like they do today so your lucky in that respect.

pietraynor
12-21-2010, 10:35 AM
Great post & good to hear younger collectors enjoying the hobby! Legal is right, as a 30yr veteran collector, I can tell you it only gets better..Just try to remember to think w/both your heart & your head when making a purchase..enjoyed your post & your passion..Jay.

karamaxjoe
12-21-2010, 11:17 AM
As a 16 year old going onto my 5th year of collecting I am glad I bought my first pack of cards 5 years ago

When I was 16 the last thing on my mind was this hobby. I was more into other things, if you catch my drift;)

Don't worry if you lose sight of the hobby in your late teens. You'll have the rest of your life to jump right back in. I got back in right after my first child was born and the party life style was coming to an end. I'm just saying enjoy life while your young.

Manram
12-21-2010, 12:41 PM
I know I have seen a thread like this before, but I love this hobby. As a 16 year old going onto my 5th year of collecting I am glad I bought my first pack of cards 5 years ago, it started an addiction for me and I just cant ever seem to get enough autos, cards and most importantly, game used items!

I totally agree with you as a young collector. You see new items every day and very cool items. I can't go any day without looking on this site!!!!

RRexpressfan94
12-21-2010, 02:42 PM
As you get older and accumulate more money to spend it will only get better. When i was a teen they didn't have GU stuff on the mass market like they do today so your lucky in that respect.

Yea, I can make that relation, I got a part time job about a year ago to start saving for a car, and 11 months later, lets just say most of it has gone toward my collection, and I will probably end up driving a 25 year old honda... hah

yankees506
12-21-2010, 02:50 PM
As a relatively young collector with only three or so years under my belt, i cant imagine anything else taking up wayyy too many hours of my life ;) even when i start to feel i have everything i could ever want, i look up and someone on here has a must have item. This is simply the best

Bravesfan
12-21-2010, 03:15 PM
Sounds like he accumulates a lot of money now. ;)

cliffjmp33
12-21-2010, 03:45 PM
I am to an extent new to game used collecting, but not sports collecting. For myself, I like to collect a few things that have meaning to me and that has really kept me going with this hobby.

And while I love my small collection, I find as much fun to come here and see everyone share their own collections. I am in awe of so many of the collections here and find looking through the photos a lot of fun. It's nice to see people display their items and share them instead of hiding them away from the world.

Additionally, I like the knowledge and the friendliness of this hobby, but more to the point, this forum. Since I have never met anyone here, I can't call anyone a friend, but I feel despite being a "rookie" to the game used portion of collecting, everyone here has been very insightful and welcoming.

RRexpressfan94
12-21-2010, 10:25 PM
I am to an extent new to game used collecting, but not sports collecting. For myself, I like to collect a few things that have meaning to me and that has really kept me going with this hobby.

And while I love my small collection, I find as much fun to come here and see everyone share their own collections. I am in awe of so many of the collections here and find looking through the photos a lot of fun. It's nice to see people display their items and share them instead of hiding them away from the world.

Additionally, I like the knowledge and the friendliness of this hobby, but more to the point, this forum. Since I have never met anyone here, I can't call anyone a friend, but I feel despite being a "rookie" to the game used portion of collecting, everyone here has been very insightful and welcoming.

I definitely agree, looking at the collections on here also keeps me going, considering that I want mine to look like some of these as a get older.

Baseball83
12-24-2010, 03:34 PM
A bit of advice from a long time collector:

1. Collect what you like and like what you collect
2. Know the provenance of each game used item
3. Do your homework on each piece
4. Clearly define the parameters of your collection
5. Set goals
6. Set a budget
7. Live within your means
8. Stick to your game plan
9. Remember even the experts make mistakes, but they know more than
most. Get opinions
10. Let your collection add to your life. Do not let it control your life!

Good luck collecting ! :)

UGA016
12-24-2010, 04:13 PM
Great Advice Baseball!! All so True!!