PDA

View Full Version : Colors of hit marks on football jerseys?

Number9
12-18-2010, 05:42 PM
Just curious about where the paint in hit marks on football jerseys really comes from. I know some comes from the paint on the field itself, but I am wondering more about the hit marks.

Are the paint transfers usually found on shoulders from:

-- The color of the facemask paint on helmets.
-- The color of the helmet itself.
-- The color of helmets rubbed off onto facemasks and then rubbed onto jerseys during blocks and tackles etc.

Reason I ask is I often see jerseys from certain games and invariably it seems the hit marks do NOT match the opponent's facemask color, which is what I always assumed was the ultimate source, as opposed to a round, smooth helmet.

So to simplify my question, if I see black hit marks on a jersey would that be from a game against a team that had a black helmet or a team that had a black facemask?

Thanks for any opinions/knowledge shared.

NEFAN
12-22-2010, 02:35 PM
I'm no expert, but it seems like the paint on a helmet would not be transfered to a jersey by a hit, and the facemasks seem to be covered with more of a rubberized type of paint that would also seemingly be hard to transfer to cloth.

Tyrcha
12-22-2010, 03:16 PM
I'm my 17 years of playing high school, college, arena and semi pro football I would say that facemasks cause marks more easily that anything else. However, marks can be caused by facemasks, helmets, cleats, pad on pad, sliding into a bench/yard marker/various sideline equipment, chin strap cup, etc.

TNTtoys
12-22-2010, 05:36 PM
I have to agree with the assessment that the "hit marks" / paint transfers are primarily caused by contact with face masks.

Attached is a photo from the 2009 Jets/New England game in Foxboro. In fact, I own the jersey in the lower right hand corner of the picture (Kerry Rhodes). The jersey is smattered with red "hit marks"... As you can see from the Patriots' uniforms from the game, the only good explanation for the red marks is the face mask.

NEFAN
12-22-2010, 06:19 PM
I learned something new, thanks.

Number9
12-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Good info, guys. Thanks.

I have been going through photos of jerseys with a lot of hit marks at JO sports, jerseys pegged to a specific game, and generally the hit mark colors always seem to match the color of the opponent's facemask.
I mean the thinner multiple hit marks, not the wide thick ones that are field paint.

AutographAddiction
12-23-2010, 03:59 PM
I'm my 17 years of playing high school, college, arena and semi pro football I would say that facemasks cause marks more easily that anything else. However, marks can be caused by facemasks, helmets, cleats, pad on pad, sliding into a bench/yard marker/various sideline equipment, chin strap cup, etc.

Even the cup? Explain that to me how that happens...

Haha?

AutographAddiction
12-23-2010, 04:01 PM
Even the cup? Explain that to me how that happens...

Haha?

Nevermind... Saw that you said "chin strap cup", not "chin strap, cup."

Tyrcha
12-23-2010, 04:27 PM
LOL! I'll be honest, I don't want to know if a "cup" leaves a hit mark. Just too painful to find out first hand.

AutographAddiction
12-23-2010, 07:14 PM
Haha, yeah, I would hope there would be no "cup marks". I would never wish that upon anyone.

UGA016
12-24-2010, 12:17 PM
I have several UGA Jerseys with hit marks. I have a David Pollack 2004 Captains jersey with alot of hit marks. See pics. I love this Jersey! I could have David sign this at anytime. Should I or shouldn't I. Still debating!!

UGA016
12-24-2010, 02:53 PM
The Majority of the Marks do come from the facemask's...being they are made of a rubber compound it does rub-off.