PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Cardinals Winter Warm Up

stlbats
12-16-2010, 06:21 PM
Anyone planning on going this year? The Cardinals seem to be getting on the ball a little faster this year than normal.

Jason

R.Mansfield
12-16-2010, 07:59 PM
I wasn’t planning on it initially, but just noticed yesterday, thanks to Jeff/Birdbats, that Jack Clark is attending again. I picked up some killer items this year that I have to have him sign, I have actually been looking for him at some other venues, so we will be there again. I don’t want to take a chance on missing him.

It is great to attend these, and I love this hobby, but there is a part of me that really dreads this ordeal as a whole also. The crowd, the long lines, the parking, the fees, the fear of getting mugged/vehicle stolen downtown in the most dangerous city in the U.S…

If Clark were not there I would skip it this year. I have noticed a trend recently that a lot of venues have relocated to St. Charles, using the Family Arena, St. Charles Convention Center, Ameristar, and so on, I wish the Cardinals would think about these alternatives also.

I may just limit myself to going down on Monday, rather than the 3-day grind.

Russell Mansfield
batdna@sbcglobal.net

stlbats
12-16-2010, 08:52 PM
Yeah the crowd is usually pretty tough. I personally think this year will be a little less crowded. The Cardinals coming off a down season, some questionable off season moves, the economy still sucks, ect. The autograph tickets went on sale this morning, and all the players are still available. Some players usually sell out pretty fast. Although I am not sure that the Cardinals choice to sell tickets before Christmas was a great idea or not.

My family and I go up to STL several times a year and I have never felt uncomfortable downtown. I didnt even realize it was one of the top crime cities until a couple of weeks ago.

Jason
stlbats@bellsouth.net

stlbats
12-19-2010, 12:24 AM
Has anyone bought any autograph tickets yet??

Jason

R.Mansfield
12-20-2010, 04:35 PM
We ended up picking up 6 tickets for Jack Clark and 3 for Jose Oquendo, so far. Last year we attempted to go through the Oquendo line, which was free, unsuccessfully. It was by far the largest line we noticed. I am glad they put a price on him, ensuring that we will get through.

How about you, did you pick up anyone yet?

Last I checked no one had sold out, I think your right that Christmas is playing a part into everything.

Were still unsure if were attending all three days, but will defiantly be there Saturday and Monday. Last year was our first time attending, and we ended up going all three days, 8-10 hours each (including drive). We ended up with 70-80 auto’s including multiples and had a great time, but it was tough physically, standing for hours and hours, not eating, carrying all of our items around…

This year we will try and shoot for days of 2-3 hours each. I am only looking to see 4 players this time, unless the lines are shorter for others.

Russell

stlbats
12-21-2010, 08:27 PM
I bought a Pujols and a Berkman ticket. I dont collect autographs too much, but do like Berkman and usually get Pujols when I have the chance.

Jason

stlbats
12-26-2010, 09:24 PM
Anyone know if they are going yet?

Jason

stlbats@bellsouth.net

stlbats
01-10-2011, 08:23 PM
With less than a week away now, is anyone going??

Jason
stlbats@bellsouth.net

Birdbats
01-10-2011, 09:07 PM
I'll be there. Just noticed the auction schedule has finally been posted on the team's website.

hdavid_27
01-16-2011, 08:59 PM
Okay, so last year I complained about how Albert Pujols treated people who went to the WWU to get his autograph. After hearing many complaints last year from others who waited in line to meet Albert, I have to say, my experience this year was much better, and nearly pleasant.
While the lines were long, and the room cramped as expected, Albert spoke to my son and I while we were getting his autograph, which actually suprised me. He also asked where we wanted our photos signed and in what color. I heard only one complaint this year and that was from a friend of mine who asked for a ROY inscription on the baseball he had signed, Albert refused to do it.

This year was a much better experience, now if we could just get them to stop the WWU workers from insisting on touching every item people are having signed! :)

stlbats
01-16-2011, 09:27 PM
Just back from St. Louis and the Winter Warm Up. I thought the crowd was down some this year from years past, but still a packed house. Not much in the way of game used stuff from vendors other than the Cardinals Authentics store and the team auctions. The Authentics store had mostly the same stuff and same prices. They did have 4 or 5 Yadier Molina bats priced at $500 each, most were pretty broken up. Same old stuff on the jerseys. The Cardinals did have a better kids area set up this year with some new attractions and shows. (My son got to hold a snake and alligator today).

Unfortunatly I didnt come away with a single game used item, but did get Lance Berkman and Albert Pujols autographs on baseballs. Berkman looked to be in great shape and was very nice. You could tell that he really tried to put a perfect autograph on peoples items.

Albert this year I thought was in a much better mood than in years past. Although they run you thru his line like cattle and as mentioned in the previous post, 3 people want to handle your item, and he doesnt really have a chance to chat if he wanted to. This year from what I could tell, he was making sure the pen, color, and area you wanted your item signed. I did hear one guy complaining that he just grabbed a pen and randomly signed a PFF print that he had. In my opinion you kind of have to push past the 14 handlers and make sure you get up there when your item is being signed. He was nice to me and actually smiled and told me thanks when I spoke to him.

Hurry up Opening Day, or I will even settle for ST to start.

Jason
stlbats@bellsouth.net

sox83cubs84
01-16-2011, 10:35 PM
Jason:

Just wait to hear the words "pitchers and catchers report"...then the fun will begin!:) :) :)

Dave Miedema

jscott0688
01-17-2011, 06:26 PM
Not the most exciting Winter Warm Up ever, but I still had a good time. The Cardinals Care store and the auctions were definitely a disappointment. There wasn't a single McGwire item of any kind or any Pujols game used pieces. It makes me wonder if more of the stuff was funneled to the Cardinals Authentics Shop this year than in the past; though they didn't have anything new either. Where is it all going?

The Springfield Cardinals were selling off game used jerseys that had been recycled for at least the past several seasons. I picked up one of the jerseys that had been worn by Jaime Garica when he was down there and had him sign it. Other than that, I picked up a Chris Perez 2008 Spring Training hat from the Cardinals Care store for $5, a signed Mitchell Boggs 2009 jersey with the All Star patch from the live auction for $150 and a 1970s Tony Scott batting helmet from one of the vendors.

As for autographs, I got my home white and batting practice Shelby Miller spring training jerseys signed and then authenticated at the JSA booth that was there for the first time this year. And today, I had my Lance Lynn spring training jersey signed. I also got Berkman and Zach Cox on baseballs.

jscott0688
01-17-2011, 06:30 PM
Also, I was wanting to get my Molina shin guards signed but was hesitant to spend $180 to get it done. It ended up being a moot point though when he canceled his appearance five minutes before he was due to sign.

onlyalbert
01-17-2011, 07:23 PM
Not the most exciting Winter Warm Up ever, but I still had a good time. The Cardinals Care store and the auctions were definitely a disappointment. There wasn't a single McGwire item of any kind or any Pujols game used pieces. It makes me wonder if more of the stuff was funneled to the Cardinals Authentics Shop this year than in the past; though they didn't have anything new either. Where is it all going?

The Springfield Cardinals were selling off game used jerseys that had been recycled for at least the past several seasons. I picked up one of the jerseys that had been worn by Jaime Garica when he was down there and had him sign it. Other than that, I picked up a Chris Perez 2008 Spring Training hat from the Cardinals Care store for $5, a signed Mitchell Boggs 2009 jersey with the All Star patch from the live auction for $150 and a 1970s Tony Scott batting helmet from one of the vendors.

As for autographs, I got my home white and batting practice Shelby Miller spring training jerseys signed and then authenticated at the JSA booth that was there for the first time this year. And today, I had my Lance Lynn spring training jersey signed. I also got Berkman and Zach Cox on baseballs.

Ok, here's my first post. Was at the WWU today and funny/bad story about the last silent auction of the day.....it was not very silent. Almost a fist fight. They had a package for a tour of the stadium and tix. At the last minute I am watching as it went past me and a guy walks up with his kid about 20 seconds left. Puts in a bid and is not quite finished and another guy literaly jumps in on him and scribbles something down after the auction is ended. Next to him another guy is bidding and same thing. Guy reaches up under his arm and is bidding on 2 auctions at the same time. He gets his name and just a scribble on the amount line. All of this in front of a worker.

The first instance they added another set of "tours/tickets" and let them both win even though the second guy should not have. But the last instance was a road trip to Coors field....no extra tickets to give so they offered a "bid off". The guy that had the good bid was pissed and told them to shove it in many ways. And kept coming back to tell them some more. Apparently, he had won an earlier auction and when he went to pay for the item they told him they lost it. This topped off his cake!

Next year they need to separate these "packages" to avoid the clamoring and pushing and last bidding on multiple auctions. And if they want to raise more money offer more of the "packages" and less of the "autographed crap of no name players that were let go 2 years ago" and the starting bid is $35 so no one bids on it! Thoughts?

jscott0688
01-17-2011, 07:31 PM
Ok, here's my first post. Was at the WWU today and funny/bad story about the last silent auction of the day.....it was not very silent. Almost a fist fight. They had a package for a tour of the stadium and tix. At the last minute I am watching as it went past me and a guy walks up with his kid about 20 seconds left. Puts in a bid and is not quite finished and another guy literaly jumps in on him and scribbles something down after the auction is ended. Next to him another guy is bidding and same thing. Guy reaches up under his arm and is bidding on 2 auctions at the same time. He gets his name and just a scribble on the amount line. All of this in front of a worker.

The first instance they added another set of "tours/tickets" and let them both win even though the second guy should not have. But the last instance was a road trip to Coors field....no extra tickets to give so they offered a "bid off". The guy that had the good bid was pissed and told them to shove it in many ways. And kept coming back to tell them some more. Apparently, he had won an earlier auction and when he went to pay for the item they told him they lost it. This topped off his cake!

Next year they need to separate these "packages" to avoid the clamoring and pushing and last bidding on multiple auctions. And if they want to raise more money offer more of the "packages" and less of the "autographed crap of no name players that were let go 2 years ago" and the starting bid is $35 so no one bids on it! Thoughts?

The silent auctions definitely leave a lot to be desired. What Cardinals care needs to do is hire someone that actually has some knowledge about collecting. A framed Trever Miller autographed promotional card for $40? Seriously?

Birdbats
01-17-2011, 08:30 PM
I made just one purchase, but it was a steal. As the Cardinals Authentics store sold bats from their rack, they would replace them with others they held in reserve. Today, they put out a pro stock bat (team name on the barrel) with the #91 on both ends. I checked the MLB hologram online -- said it was an authentic bat and the session was dated back in April. I have no doubt this bat was used by the Cards' #1 prospect, Shelby Miller, during his first spring training. Too bad Shelby signed yesterday (though I did get him to sign and notate his 2010 spring training game-used road jersey).

Overall, the comments in this thread are on the mark. From a collector's standpoint, the WWU has lost all steam. Live auctions featured mostly experiences (broadcaster for a day, play catch on the field, etc.). The silent auctions were weak, weak, weak. And the Cardinals Care store had almost nothing. That used to be the reason for going -- to rummage through racks of jerseys and barrels of bats. Now, it's signed balls from departed players and other marginal stuff -- only a handful of bats (that went quickly) and jerseys (which were way overpriced for the players/coaches who wore them).

I've attended all the WWUs and will keep coming back -- but the things I'll be doing (attending presentations, socializing, etc.) won't raise any money for Cardinals Care. I want to support the charity the way I used to, but I need some incentive. It's just not there anymore.

hdavid_27
01-17-2011, 09:23 PM
I was told today by my son that a friend of ours won a Yadier Molina autograph on a scratch off ticket. He sent me a text message about 30 minute later saying that Yadi had cancelled, and when my friend went to talk to the people from Cardinals Care about what to do with his winning scratch off he was to they would refund only the purchase price of the winning ticket, $1.

To me, it seems that with all of the losing tickets sold, they could have done better. He did not want money but wanted to trade for a different autograph, one of Whitey Herzog, whose Autographs at the WWU sell for $60, $30 less than Molina sells for. He was told "Absolutley Not". There were probably thousands of the scratch offs sold for Molina, and in the end there was no winning prize for the winners, How fair is that?

If this is how people continue to be treated the WWU will only get worse.

Birdbats
01-17-2011, 09:38 PM
I was told today by my son that a friend of ours won a Yadier Molina autograph on a scratch off ticket. He sent me a text message about 30 minute later saying that Yadi had cancelled, and when my friend went to talk to the people from Cardinals Care about what to do with his winning scratch off he was to they would refund only the purchase price of the winning ticket, $1.

To me, it seems that with all of the losing tickets sold, they could have done better. He did not want money but wanted to trade for a different autograph, one of Whitey Herzog, whose Autographs at the WWU sell for $60, $30 less than Molina sells for. He was told "Absolutley Not". There were probably thousands of the scratch offs sold for Molina, and in the end there was no winning prize for the winners, How fair is that?

If this is how people continue to be treated the WWU will only get worse.

I wondered how they would handle those scratch offs. Not ideal, but in their defense, they really were caught off guard by the cancellation. Might have reacted differently if they hadn't learned of Yadi's absence so late in the game. I have a buddy who stayed in the hotel last night only because he was getting Yadi to sign two bats today -- otherwise, he would have left yesterday (and those rooms aren't cheap). The Molina cancellation is a black eye for Cardinals Care, but an even bigger black eye for Yadi. When they auctioned his jersey in the afternoon live auction, several people yelled derisive comments at the mere mention of his name. Not good.

stlbats
01-17-2011, 09:51 PM
I remember a few years back, I had a Yadi ticket and his signing time had came and went, and still no Yadi. They kept saying he was on his way, then they said his wife was sick, he finally showed up, but after the fact I heard from a reputable source that Tony LaRussa had to call him and basically tell him to get his butt down there. Not sure what his problem is with the WWU. He just did a public signing not long ago in STL. The WWU is pretty much mandatory for the players. LaRussa has publicly said in the past that he expects all the players to show up and support the fans at the event.

Jason
stlbats@bellsouth.net

slambam
01-18-2011, 01:19 AM
Yadi, oh Yadi. From the sounds of it, he needs to grow up. Steiner sued him last offseason for $175,000 for blowing them off - so this time he blows off a charity. Being big buds with Albert, you'd think Albert would kind of see to it that Yadi is there or at least encourage him to show up, but apparently not. He needs to show a little respect, at the VERY least let them know that you're not going to be there a little earlier.

rangersfan1214
01-18-2011, 07:21 PM
Can someone who got Pujols' signature please post a photo of the autograph on here. I noticed his signature on topps cards have gotten real sloppy. I'd like to see if his signature has changed much. Thanks!

R.Mansfield
01-18-2011, 09:45 PM
We also attended the show all three days, for a couple of hours each day.

This is our second show and it was not as good as the one last year. I agree, very light for GU collectors. The vendors just had the same ol, same ol. I noticed several signed Pujols bats, and one GU Sam bat of his…

I honestly did not purchase anything, by Monday I was looking around just to buy anything, ($ burning a hole in my pocket syndrome), but didn’t.

Other than that the crowd was a little lighter, and the show was a little more organized I felt. We bought some autograph tickets of Jack Clark and Oquendo, and picked up some other 87’ team guys. The autos all went smooth, and Clark was great again, adding inscriptions and chatting about a GU jersey and bat I had him sign.

Overall the show went well, just a little disappointing, but no big problems that I experienced.

Russell Mansfield
batdna@sbcglobal.net

hdavid_27
01-19-2011, 12:49 PM
Can someone who got Pujols' signature please post a photo of the autograph on here. I noticed his signature on topps cards have gotten real sloppy. I'd like to see if his signature has changed much. Thanks!

Here you go!

rangersfan1214
01-19-2011, 05:33 PM
Thank you! It looks like his autograph is the same. I wonder whats up with the topps 2009-10 cards. Any ideas?

xpress34
01-19-2011, 05:51 PM
Thank you! It looks like his autograph is the same. I wonder whats up with the topps 2009-10 cards. Any ideas?

If that's your card, it's an earlier Pujols Auto as evidenced by the 'pointy' A.

Just because it's a 2009 or 2010 card, sticker autos have been around for years and the companies don't use the entire sheet in one year. They may hold them back and use them on other year issues as well... quite common actually...

Here's some of my Pujols Autos for comparison sake:

2001 GU Hat - w/ ROY inscription:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Caps/Pujols01GUROYCapAU.jpg

AU Ball (obtained from Albert at Niketown Denver in 2002) - w/ ROY:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Balls/PujolsROY1.jpg

AU / GU Ball (obtained from Albert at the hotel in 2005):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Balls/PujolsGU1.jpg

2002 Absolute Playoff Signing Bonus:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Cards/SINGLES/Signing%20Bonus%208%20x%2010/Pujols053-100.jpg

2004 Fleer Sweet Sigs:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Cards/SINGLES/Sweet%20Sigs/PujolsSSigs1.jpg

So as you can see, Albert has had a few variations over the years...

- Smitty

hdavid_27
01-19-2011, 06:24 PM
I dont think that one looks good at all, but with the way Topps uses the stickers they could have had thousands signed years ago and are just now getting around to using them. Parts of that one kind of resemble his 02-03 autographs.:confused:

stlbats
01-19-2011, 09:24 PM
Here are pics of 3 of my Pujols baseballs. They were all signed over the last 5 or so years. The 2009 All Star Baseball was signed at this years Warm Up. Its a good signature (sorry the pic looks a little blurry).

Jason