PDA

View Full Version : locker nameplate... underrated G.U. item?

jake33
12-16-2010, 05:33 PM
Curious on people's thoughts of locker room nameplates. They are not truly game used, and I have 2 of them and they are kind of a unique item to have in your collection for a specific player. Also relatively inexpensive as well. What are your thoughts on it? I use it strictly as a display piece for other game used items of the particular player.

Jags Fan Dan
12-16-2010, 06:38 PM
I think for a player collector it is a must-have. For anybody else i don't really see the appeal. If I ever found a Brunell one, I would have to have it. Otherwise, no thanks.

Klattsy
12-16-2010, 07:25 PM
I've been tempted to by a couple but haven't pulled the trigger. For the price they want an MLB locker plate for ($50) I can get a minor league jersey of a different (but still Aussie) player. Even when buying $100 MLB jersey's, I would rather 1 jersey than 2 plates.

However, I saw someone display a locker plate in a frame with a jersey above it, THAT would be cool.

Mark.

godwulf
12-16-2010, 07:44 PM
I've got a few of the big, elaborate ones with a lot of graphics - the kind they make for Opening Day, and that sort of thing - that I bought at the Team Shop for $50-$75, and then a lot of the slightly smaller ones, with just the player's name, that I bought at FanFest for $2-$3 each. Displayed either scattered among other items, like jerseys and bats, or in a big group, I think they are very cool. They're also a way of having something of a particular player when nothing else, nothing actually "game-used", is available. They're great for autographs, too. This year during the Fall League, I got Alan Zinter to sign two of his locker tags from 2004.

lehmsbobby
12-16-2010, 08:01 PM
just got aaron rowand's NLDS locker room tag.
pretty sweet

mlupo
12-16-2010, 08:26 PM
I have a couple that I picked up at Tigerfest a few years ago for like $5 each. I think that are a cool item, display well, and everyone askes what the are(non-collectors), so they make a decent conversation piece. Like many of you have said they look great in player collections as well. But with that being said I don't think I would pay over $100 for one unless it was from the World Series, that would be cool since it was in the locker room during the celebration.

stlbats
12-16-2010, 08:54 PM
I have thought about getting a few of these at times. The problem is, almost all of the Cardinals players are $100 or more. I am just not sure about paying that much for a locker nameplate.

Jason

gingi79
12-16-2010, 09:02 PM
I'd love to pick up some of my players, I just never saw them available. So if you have any of these guys from any team:

Pavel Bure
Sami Salo
Matt Diaz
Trevor Linden
Kelly Gruber

By all means, email me at gingi79@aol.com

LWMM
12-16-2010, 09:17 PM
I'd love to pick up some of my players, I just never saw them available. So if you have any of these guys from any team:

Pavel Bure
Sami Salo
Matt Diaz
Trevor Linden
Kelly Gruber

By all means, email me at gingi79@aol.com

The Braves sent round a list of NLDS nameplates, including a Diaz for $100. They might still have it, although the price seems way too high for me. The asking price for the Heyward, Hudson and Lowe plates was $1000 each. Ouch! For the sake of comparison, Diaz jerseys were $200, Heyward jerseys $2,500-3,000, Hudson $1,000. At $800, Lowe jerseys were $200 less expensive than the nameplates.

Rickphils1
12-16-2010, 10:44 PM
I have a lot of Phillies locker room nameplates and all were less than $20 when I bought them. They seem to have multiple ones every year which I think diminishes any real value. There fine if you are displaying with a player's game used stuff but the price on these are going way up (by the club) and are really marginal as being considered "game used."

Ollie
12-17-2010, 02:26 AM
I collect Rob Thomson (Yankees 3B coach) GU items and Steiners had this WS Locker Room Nameplate. I thought it looked very cool!

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/7974/img2025q.jpg

jbsportstuff
12-17-2010, 07:25 AM
I have several vintage locker tags from the Reds:

Joe Morgan
Cesar Gerononimo
Jack Billingham

Then others from the later 70's early 80's

Dave Collins
Bo Diaz
Buddy Bell
Kal Daniels
Frank Williams
Rob Murphy

And from today:
Homer Bailey

I have always enjoyed collecting locker nameplates...

ironmanfan
12-17-2010, 08:51 AM
I've always been a fan of Locker Namelates and think they are undervalued as well.....Here are the locker nameplates (not very "snazzy" looking) that Cal Ripken gave me after the 1988 and 1990 seasons personally from Memorial Stadium as well as his visitng one from the Kingdome in Seattle:

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/Game%20Used/Disney2006001.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/Game%20Used/072010017.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/Game%20Used/Nameplates12-1.jpg

Here is a lot of them from the mid 1970's from County Stadium in Milwaukee from visting players as well I picked up a couple years ago:

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/Game%20Used/abcNameplates-1.jpg

ironmanfan
12-17-2010, 09:30 AM
If you check out this YouTube video, you'll see the 1990 Locker nameplate during the first few seconds of this 1991 Orioles Season Ticket commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e8047vpiIs&feature=youtube_gdata

BULBUS
12-17-2010, 11:19 AM
I like them, especially to go with a jersey I may have, but these days, the Yankees seem to change theirs every game and there are a ton out there. What Steiner is asking for them is insane.

Chris78
12-17-2010, 01:19 PM
I personally feel that these could end up being something that becomes more collectable as time passes, but I could be wrong. I think some teams are way overcharging for these ($400 for a nameplate -- get real), but if you can get these for $10 or less I feel that they are worth buying. I can't see spending a large ($100 or more) amount on them unless it is a truly great player. For instance, with the Phillies, I would rather spend $125 for Chase Utley and Ryan Howard, rather than spending $75 for Chad Durbin. I do plan to try to add Roy Halladay next year as well, and I remember buying the Pedro Martinez NLCS 2009 one this year and I was really happy to add this one.

Chris

Ollie
12-17-2010, 02:04 PM
Here is a lot of them from the mid 1970's from County Stadium in Milwaukee from visting players as well I picked up a couple years ago:

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/Game%20Used/abcNameplates-1.jpg

Amazing Collection. Love the Munson you have their!

gorphils
12-17-2010, 06:29 PM
I have a lot of Phillies locker room nameplates and all were less than $20 when I bought them. They seem to have multiple ones every year which I think diminishes any real value. There fine if you are displaying with a player's game used stuff but the price on these are going way up (by the club) and are really marginal as being considered "game used."
If you are interested in selling any of them please let me know.

RRexpressfan94
12-18-2010, 01:45 PM
I dont own any, but I think they are very cool. I almost bought Josh Hamilton's locker plate from the 2009 All Star game, but it fell though.

pm3900
04-20-2014, 05:09 PM
Do you have any locker room nameplates of Chase, Cliff Lee, or Utley? If so, I am interested in buying. Don't care what years they are, just looking for Phillies nameplates of them. Have been looking and cant find any. Thanks Patty

johnsontravis@ymail.com
04-20-2014, 06:01 PM
I think for player collectors or people that have locker displays they are cool, but minus that I don't think they are that great.

I have a Ryan Braun one, but that's it. Past $100 I don't see value.

loanapprover
04-20-2014, 06:35 PM
Do you have any locker room nameplates of Chase, Cliff Lee, or Utley? If so, I am interested in buying. Don't care what years they are, just looking for Phillies nameplates of them. Have been looking and cant find any. Thanks Patty

Check with Phillies Authentics, their last list of items they had a Cliff Lee from 2013 but were asking $199

jeffaary
04-21-2014, 10:27 AM
I think they're great for displaying with the jerseys, especially if you have a jersey that was in the locker when that nameplate was on the locker. Even better if it's from a championship series.

xpress34
04-22-2014, 08:13 AM

I will see what Aaron has from the Phillies series that just ended here at Coors Field. They usually make the visiting teams locker plates available.

I have Roy Halladay's available from last year here at Coors Field as well as Ryne Sandberg's (that I just got signed this past weekend) that I might be interested in selling.

Some are MLB certified, some are not. Just like with jerseys, if the Authenticator does not physically see the clubbie take the tag off the locker to change it for the next series, it does not get MLB Cert.

- Smitty

carbonrosa
04-22-2014, 08:28 AM
Pricing for name plates has become a little insane. Right now, Derek Jeter's Astros opening day locker name plate with just his number and no name is at $1250 on mlb auctions. That is crazy money. I was surprised his name plate where he passed Paul Moliter only went for $550 last week. At least that one had his name on it.

For me, I love collecting ticket stubs as well as GU balls/bats/jerseys. One of my collections is every significant hit Jeter has in his career including the tickets where he passed every player over 2500 hits. When completed, a locker name plate framed above all those tickets on my wall would finish that piece.

chisox1967
04-22-2014, 10:52 AM
Here is an example of a handmade locker nameplate used during the 1967 Allstar Game played in Anaheim. Produced on 1/16" thick hardboard or posterboard, it may have been created by clubhouse personnel. Future HOFers at that game were Mickey Mantle, Yaz, Killebrew, Aaron, Mays, Clemente, Gibson, Kaline......

Locker name plates have come along way, haven't they?