PDA

View Full Version : Seeking opinions from the peanut gallery

Masimen
12-10-2010, 02:46 AM
Ok folks, gonna keep this as brief as I can. Please bare with me. I purchased a game used Jorge Posada glove and received it yesterday. This glove was once part of a GUU auction and it supposedly originated from a Posada charity auction. As you can see it is inscribed Game Used 07. Before I purchased the glove I knew it wasn't one of his main gamers in 07 as he had switched to the lighter woven back and this glove was all leather, but the use looked great and the glove was looked legit to me. I just assumed it was a carryover or a practice glove. In any case, the glove arrived and I started searching getty last night. Found nothing in 07 that matched and then just started going backwards year by year. Much to my surprise and delight I believe I have photomatched the glove to the 2nd half of the 01 season all the way through game 3 of the world series. of course I can't match it to each and every game, but I believe this was the glove that he was wearing when Jeter made the famous "flip play" to Posada.

Below are the 2 best pics I could find to match it. The pic of Posada by himself is from Game 5 of the LCS and the pic of him and Pettite is from Game 2 of the LDS

So, I am looking for everyone's thoughts on the match. I think it is a pretty clear match, but I have looked at way too many pictures of catchers mitts the last 24 hours. I would also love to hear any and all opinions on the the inscription. My best guess looking at the glove and seeing that the inscription was added at later time than the signature or at least with a different pen is that he may have signed the glove and had it laying around or in storage and then when he needed one to give to an auction he or one of his people got the glove and had him erroneously inscribe it 07. I suppose he could have used it for practice in 07 after the fact, but that seems like an awful long time to be using that same glove.

Aside from the circled areas, if you notice the seam that runs along the index finger you can see how it turns in and then back out as it gets to the end of the finger. That seems to match perfectly as well. What do you guys think?

sctizzle
12-10-2010, 05:30 AM
Steve,

That is incredible!! Looks like a perfect match to me.

Very jealous of the pickup!! Congrats!!!!

Scott

CampWest
12-10-2010, 09:40 AM
Have you checked the date/dot code? Are there any dots under a Rawlings branding or a 4 letter code like EBEH?

Masimen
12-10-2010, 10:00 AM
Have you checked the date/dot code? Are there any dots under a Rawlings branding or a 4 letter code like EBEH?

Hey Wes,
Yes I have checked and I can't find a date code anywhere on the glove, no dot or letter code.

CampWest
12-10-2010, 10:11 AM
Hey Wes,
Yes I have checked and I can't find a date code anywhere on the glove, no dot or letter code.

Huh... I would think it should be one or the other somewhere...

take a look at this thread... There are some pics that may help you see what to look for... if you can find a code, you should be able to come up with the date.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=35952&highlight=rawlings+date+code

I think if it was used in 2001... it would likely have been made in 2000 (5 dots) or 2001 (1 dot). If 2007, it would have the BLACKHORSE code and be something like EBEH/CBCK...

Masimen
12-10-2010, 10:43 AM
Huh... I would think it should be one or the other somewhere...

take a look at this thread... There are some pics that may help you see what to look for... if you can find a code, you should be able to come up with the date.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=35952&highlight=rawlings+date+code

I think if it was used in 2001... it would likely have been made in 2000 (5 dots) or 2001 (1 dot). If 2007, it would have the BLACKHORSE code and be something like EBEH/CBCK...

Yea, it is strange. I looked everywhere. A few times. After doing the research I would have expected a dot code, but nothing. I have the same issue with a Paul Oneill glove that i have from the same era. No sign of any date stamp anywhere.

jsr418
12-10-2010, 10:57 AM
From the photos, it looks good to me. What an incredible pick up. Congratulations!

legaleagle92481
12-10-2010, 11:11 AM
The inscription is ok alot of people's 1s look like 7s. It was probably added later on. Happens alot.

CampWest
12-10-2010, 11:43 AM
alot of people's 1s look like 7s.

Thats why my wedding cake never showed up! :cool: Wedding was on Sunday Sept 1 - Labor Day weekend. Cake lady thought it was the following Saturday Sept 7. My mother in law wrote on the check memo, "for 9/1 wedding" or something and even though we told the cake lady several times it was labor day weekend and Sunday the 1st and she said no problem. Nonetheless, when she booked it into her calendar she confused the 1 for a 7 and went to the lake Labor Day weekend.

Masimen
12-10-2010, 12:09 PM
Thats why my wedding cake never showed up! :cool: Wedding was on Sunday Sept 1 - Labor Day weekend. Cake lady thought it was the following Saturday Sept 7. My mother in law wrote on the check memo, "for 9/1 wedding" or something and even though we told the cake lady several times it was labor day weekend and Sunday the 1st and she said no problem. Nonetheless, when she booked it into her calendar she confused the 1 for a 7 and went to the lake Labor Day weekend.

Are you insinuating that your mother-in-law inscribed my glove?

CampWest
12-10-2010, 12:17 PM
Are you insinuating that your mother-in-law inscribed my glove?

Precisely, Yes. Jorge Posada is my mother in law... :D

vdsporty25
12-10-2010, 01:31 PM
That is a sick item!! Nice match as well....looks great to me!

Masimen
12-14-2010, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the kind words. I am pretty sure this has become the centerpiece of my collection.