PDA

View Full Version : Derek Jeter bat Legit?

yankees506
12-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Ok guys i recently got an unsolicited email from a person claiming to have a steiner jeter bat for sale, after a few emails the seller mentioned the "steiner coa was mis-placed but the original hologram is on the bat". thats a big red flag for me, i just want to ask if this could be legit.

lakeerie92
12-05-2010, 02:07 PM
It doesn't look good, but it is hard to say at this point. Since Steiner doesn't have a database of past stuff I could take a Steiner sticker off a cheap baseball and put it on a retail authentic bat(recently several have surface without lines under the 125 and appear to match a real gamer). Add some use to the bat and now I turned $90 into $1,000+. There are several red flags that would make me stay away. Anytime you buy a bat at that price from Steiner you aren't going to just misplace the letter. Jeter uses mota stick on his handle and it looks more like pine tar on this one. A picture of the knob would help too, if it has dates then that is a positive, and if it has absolutely nothing stamped in then it looks again like a retail authentic.

stlbats
12-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Its hard to tell from the photo you posted, but sometimes you can measure the distance under the 125 and see if someone has covered up the line somehow. I have seen this several times where someone has filled in the line and painted over it.

Looks like pine tar to me too.

Jason

Neal
12-05-2010, 07:15 PM
Is it that easy to take a Steiner holo off? I would imagine these would be tamper proof.

And I do not think it is entirely implausible that the cert was misplaced - my buddy once threw out season tix by accident!

justinbittner220
12-05-2010, 07:19 PM
Does Jeter pine tar like that?

gorilla777
12-05-2010, 07:37 PM
The handle coating looks completely off to any of his bats that I have ever seen. The mota stick, if heavy, is always a grayish, almost white color up to about the label. That almost looks like pine tar?
It could be a Jeter bat used by Alex Rodriguez possibly....hard to tell from the photos.

Ben